My personal odyssey to get on the list for BestBuy Preferred Customer coupons.

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, May 15, 2002.

1. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I always use my Visa check card when making purchases at BB, as well. But can they go and get our information from the credit card company and make a database of customers?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

I think that, among other things, it *can* be a Visa card, and they can and do get your address information from Visa.

I have been getting the BB coupons for a while, and I also frequently get mailers and offers from other very specific places that I have shopped (at factory stores and large department stores, for example) that I know for a fact I have never given my address. I suspect they choose who to mail these to based on some sort of income/credit/whatever criteria, and/or how often you shop there.

I shop there a lot and also get a lot of offers from various peddlers in the mail that appear to be ginned up from credit data, so I strongly suspect that is your answer. (The home buying story above -- which paperwork would be sent to and databased at a credit bureau -- seems to reinforce this.)

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have been on their prefered customer mailing list for some time but after I moved I stopped getting them (Of course [​IMG] ) I just called Best Buy customer service, to ask them to change my mailing address. The representative said I will just re-add me to the list instead of changing my old address. He took my information and said you will be getting coupons in a few months. The funny thing is, he didn't seem to be typing anything as I gave him my information. I guess he was just humoring me [​IMG] But I hope he isn't. Some of those coupons were really good deals.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, here is the latest installment. I screwed up and mis-read the prior post from Craig at BestBuy. I though he asked me to confirm my e-mail address, but it was my "mailing address" that he wasnted. :b :b :b

This is the latest post from Craig at bestBuy:

6. Lenny Truett

Lenny Truett Agent

My wife has always got the coupons, and they even followed us to our new address. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is getting the product protection plans. My wife usually gets them, and darn it if everything doesn't break before they go out of effect. She has got her computer repaired numerous times and even got a new machine after almost a year, a new monitor and other replacements I can't even remember. Usually I am not a fan, but she has got her money out of them so....

If you want to try it, you can always return the service contract for a period of time (up to 30 days???). Maybe that will get you on.

Good luck,

Lenny

7. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I have shopped at Best Buy for numerous things over the years and never received any of the coupons. Recently applied for the credit card and received the coupons last week. Coincidence?

Tim

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

When you check your game piece online for the Sheryl Crow concert contest, it asks if you want to be put on a list for futureoffers. That may be the best way. I thinkyou have to go to a store for a game piece first.

9. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Here's another interesting twist to the coupon plot. Both my wife and I get them, sometimes. She always gets them, I usually do too, but not always. I have a BB card she does not. After BB moved into our area, ~4 years ago, she began to get them immediately. Funny thing is they come in her maiden name. I know for a fact she has never given Best Buy her info. We were not married when we bought our house about 8 years ago. They must have gotten their info from the mortgage company or from the records at the court house. I began receiving the coupons sometime after she did, but before I ever got the BB card, strange. Here is the real kicker. The coupons we get are NOT the same. The past promo she got the 10% of one, 15% off 2, 20% off 3 deal. Mine were for a straight 10% off up to 3.

-Dave

10. David Lambert

This last post is proof of what I said earlier: BB is buying marketing lists, and some of those lists are targeted to get the coupons.

That and the BB Credit Card seem to be the common denominators, folks.

So if they buy the list from your mortgage company, you get coupons. If they buy the list from the bank that issued your Visa, you get coupons. If they buy the list from the spa you signed up to win a free membership from, you get coupons. It's very simple, really.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

12. Lou Grasek

Lou Grasek Extra

I went to the best buy web site and checked the receive offers by e mail box. Filled in the info and am waiting to see what I get.

Lou

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

15. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Quite a few of us in New York's capital district.

16. David Lambert

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well now, Dave. You have seemed to put all our eggs in one basket -- as it were.
    But it still doesn't make me any happier! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Based on this thread (Best Buy Preferred Customer Weekend 8/9-11) I have written again to my friends at Best Buy:

19. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Rock on, Mike. Good luck.

20. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

I wish i would get coupons. I have the credit card and bought a RPTV with it.