What's new

My night at the movies... (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This evening I couldn't help but think back to some old threads where people posted some of their annoying movie theater experiences...

I went to a sneak preview of The Majestic tonight. While the commercials started up, some girls came in looking for three seats. I moved over so they could have enough space. How stupid of me. This was obviously not the kind of movie they would really want to see. They joked and giggled amongst themselves and layed sideways in the seats. I finally got so enraged that I turned to them and said, quite loudly, "If you're going to talk through the whole movie, could you give me back the seven bucks I paid to see it?" They were annoyed, but they did shut up.

I guess I now know how some of you feel. And I also know why I don't go to movies on Saturday nights...

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Derek...I feel your pain, man.
I caught an evening showing of Vanilla Sky with a couple in front of me who decided to let their little 3 year old jump up and down on the seat. The little boy started playing friggin PEEK-A-BOO with me!! :angry:
They let him run back and forth in their row. Later, he escaped from them and the father had to go down to the front (at the screen) to get him.
Gawd, I hate people that have NO consideration for others...especially at the movies!!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten to the point where I'll tell someone to be quiet. The only thing that annoys me worse than that is when a little kid constantly kicks the back of my seat, like one did all throughout HP.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At the sneak peak showing of "Kate and Leopold" there was about 5 teenage girls that were loud, giggling, obnoxious, and had no respect for silence in the theater, and they sat at the very top row in the theater.

Before the trailer were on, they spoke like they were in their bedrooms during a slumber party, loud and rambunctious. Finally someone in the theater shouted "shut the hell up, girls". Which silenced the girl for about 15 seconds before one goes on with "what crawled up your butt?" which produced more snickers from the girls. But they piped down for most of the movie, but still managed to whisper overly loud to the displeasure of those in their immediate vicinity. Then they all decided to get up and go for a potty break (or whatever), and one of the girl literally clopped her way down the steps rather horse-like and loudly. I was pretty amazed at the lack of self-awareness in these teen girls. Most of the rest of us were just rolling our eyes at these girls.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
At the sneak peak showing of "Kate and Leopold" there was about 5 teenage girls that were loud, giggling, obnoxious, and had no respect for silence in the theater, and they sat at the very top row in the theater.
Is this a gang of girls that goes from theater to theater to torture us all? I think the "clopping" girls were at Moulin Rouge when I went... at least they left the movie after a half hour.

I also had a less objectionable experience earlier this week that I just remembered... I was watching Ocean's Eleven on Wednesday afternoon. I wondered if the voices I heard were coming from the surrounds since the scene was in the security room of the hotel, where there seemed to be lots of noises. Anyway, I turned around and saw a guy standing against the wall about five rows back TALKING ON A CELL PHONE. Funny that he decided to go all the way down the row as a courtesy to the rest of his party.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
You should try to sneak a paint-gun in. No permanent damage, but it sure gets the point across.

Seriously, you would think this sort of thing would kind of kill itself off. I mean, eventually, people have to clue into the fact that being annoying in a theater upsets those around them, right? Most of what I've experienced has been loud teens who are craving attention. I've remarked on more than one occasion that if they wanted attention so badly, why didn't they walk naked down the street instead of hiding in a dark theater and being jack-asses? This confuses them long enough for them to be quiet the rest of the film.

Bruce

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
These are all reasons why I go to the movies during the day when its either senior citizens or the unemployed :) and usually nearly empty.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
These are all reasons why I go to the movies during the day when its either senior citizens or the unemployed and usually nearly empty.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
True, but I've noticed that the late shows (after midnight) are usually empty as well (especially for movies like Shrek or Monsters, Inc.).

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, late shows are fantastic. I can't recall the last time anything remotely annoying took place in the theater, except for mechanical failure. It must be at least five years ago.

Luckily, there's a great theater nearby that actually clears out around 10pm, so I don't even have to wait until midnight if I don't feel like it.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Oh dear god, here's one for you...

Went to my local Cineplex recently, can't remember what I saw on this particular visit, but sitting directly in front of me was a boisterous family. As the trailers started, I grew very concerned that they weren't going to quiet down. Well, they did, somewhat, when the feature started. However, it got worse. Apparently, the teenage boy had seen the movie already with his friends, and just couldn't quit with the "OOO, watch this part!" or "This part is cool!" or "Check this out!" or otherwise negating every possible climatic moment in the movie. To make matters worse, his family couldn't be satisfied with the director unfolding the story at his own pace, so they repeatedly asked him to explain either A: What just happened, B: What is happening, or, and the worst, C: What is going to happen. My attempts to SSHHUUSSHH!! them only made them speak in a hoarse whisper, which I think was worse.

And yes, I've been bothered by the teenage girl movie saboteur gang. And the cell phone. I always make a big spectacle of turning mine off, so others might get the hint.

The only thing I hate worse than this stuff is getting there late and getting a really bad seat, i.e. second row, all the way to the left (the "crick" seats).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, I hear stories like this all the time. I long since gave up on my local cinemas and instead use the West End. Now to be fair, I am paying 10 quid for a seat (roughly 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a DVD) but I find, while there is the ocasionally noise, the audience is very good.
Generally I think it's down to price. If people have had to shell out a lot of money for a ticket they bloody well watch the movie. At my local Odeon it's about half the price and you get all sorts of crap going on.
Or maybe I'm just lucky...Or don't go often enough.:)

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of annoying Cel phones, this taken off of the IMDB site. It made me laugh:

----------

Tom Cruise angrily took time out of a recent press conference - to answer a mobile phone in the audience. Cruise merely looked annoyed the first

time a phone rang as he was promoting his new film Vanilla Sky in Taiwan.

But when a second one rang, he snatched it from its owner and answered in Chinese. "Wei," said Cruise - Chinese for "Hello" - as reporters sitting nearby chuckled in embarrassment. He continued in English, "Hello, this is

Tom Cruise. How are you doing? Is there anything I can do for you? We're having a press conference here." The voice on the other end of the line was silent. Cruise then smiled and said, "Goodbye." When he handed the phone back to its owner, she said to her confused caller, "Yes, yes that

was really Tom Cruise."

Miles_W

Second Unit
Actually my last experience in the Theater was good. My wife and I went to a matinee of Martin Lawrence's Black Knight. No one else in the Theater period! :D makes it almost as good as watching at Home!
Miles

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
i got two things:

1: i have 2 kids, one 5 and the other is 3.they sit still and watch the movie, most all of the time. if they start making noise i take them out. end of story!well stay out side or go home.

2: all the other people is why i dont go to the movies much anymore.

btw its not the kids, its the parents!!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
btw its not the kids, its the parents!!
Very true! But really, it's both. Moreso on the parents part. When I go to out to eat or see a film I start to believe that most parents are unattentive bad parents. I cannot wait to have children!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks