What's new

My new Proscan 38000 and direct TV (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys! I already have Direct TV and the normal dish.. when I get this TV, I won't have any HDTV channels just yet will I? What do I need to do.. just buy the elliptical dish?

Replace my old normal dish and the new HDTV channels just appear? Sorry for my ignorance.. I'm new to all this.

Thanks guys!

Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the new HDTV channels just appear?
Does your new TV have the built in DirecTV HD decoder? If yes, then you will get HDNet on channel 199. Subscribe to HBO and you get HBO HD. If it doesn't have the decoder built in, you have to get an HD capable DirecTV box.

-Robert

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, thanks alot for the response! So, just get another 18" dish (like the one I have now) and an AB switch type thing? The tv does have the HD tuner built in so those 2 new channels will just "appear" ?
If I got the elliptical dish.. I would need just the one dish? I wouldn't need to call Direct TV for anything? Just switch dish, point and find tune and I'm in business?
Do I also still need the rabbit ears from radio shack for the OTA digital channels or will the other dish/elliptical dish pick those up?
thanks for all your help!!
;)
Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do I also still need the rabbit ears from radio shack for the OTA digital channels or will the other dish/elliptical dish pick those up?
Keep the rabbit ears. The extra/eliptical will only give you the two DirecTV HD channels.
-Robert

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert, you have been a great help!
Ok so I havn't decided on which dish to use but by your suggestions I'll probabably go with another dish (If I can convince the wife to put another up ;) ) and use the mulitswitch.
But if I do that.... how to I hook it up? I mean.. do I hook that dish and the original dish up to the multiswitch, and then hook the multiswtich to my receiver?
Whereas if I used the eliptical dish I just need the one connection to the receiver? Or do you still need the multiswitch?
thanks alot Robert.. sorry for all the questions. I pick up my HDTV today I'm so psyched!!!! :D

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Fine tuning mean a compromise between signal strengths. Peaking one satellite will lower the other, that's why a two dish setup is SOMETIMES better.
Hey Robert... I'm a bit confused here, isn't the elliptical dish just ONE dish, why would you have to compromise on it's signal strength.. is there more than one? Or are you talking about the one dish but it's signal strength to the different satellites. And how do you know what signal you are getting to what satellite. I'm so confused :)
thanks!
Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I am talking about the different signal strengths for each satellite position. The dish pointing screen on every DirecTV+ receiver allows you to check the signal strength of each satellite.

I aimed my dish using the 101 satellite signal. I peaked it at 91 on the meter. I switched the receiver to check the strength of 119 and it was about 84. That was enough. If I had tried to fine tune the 119 signal, I would have lowered my 101 signal.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks