What's new

MY NEW ONKYO 696 help (1 Viewer)

todd Michael

Auditioning
when im watching my satalite (dtv) some channels are offered in dolby digital- when i display from the remote it says dolby digital STEREO, and the only other option i get is pro log 2(which puts it in all speakers). DD Stereo stays in the front three speakers.Those are the only options i get when it says dd. On some other channels, that it doesn't say dd, it gives me all these options-

Stereo

Direct

Pro log 2(movie music)

orchestra

unplugged

tv logic

all channel

studio mix

Michael_T

Second Unit
I surmise that your satellite provider might only be feeding you a Dolby Digital Stereo signal. The Onkyo 696 is supposed to automatically sense the incoming digital signal and switch appropriately.

With a Dolby Digital 2.0 signal, the receiver will let you use DPL2 decoding - since much DD2 has Pro-logic encoded information that the DPL2 decoder will decode and send to the appropriate speakers.

But if you get DD stereo, you should only hear sounds from your front left and front right speakers (and maybe subwoofer), but not your center channel speaker if you choose not to decode it with the DPL2 setting.

A question. How does the 696 react when fed a 5.1 DD signal from a DVD? If it accurately reproduces a 5.1 DD signal - then the answer lies with the satellite provider as to why they are sending you only a DD2.0 signal when you think you should be getting 5.1.

Personally, I don't use any "fake" DSP like Orchestra, unplugged, etc - as I feel it generally mucks up the sound. I will either use DPL2 - and if that means that the sound only comes from the center channel speaker as mono - so be it.

I suggest, you listen to all DSP processing and use what you feel best to you.

todd Michael

Auditioning
thank you on the dvd it souds great(all channels), when dd track on the disk is playing ,then instead of saying, dd stereo on my 696 it just says dd. just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong.

the ? was tv signalon some channels says dolby digital, but 696 only offers dd stereo or DPL2(why). And other channels it offers all the above mentioned

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I you look in the owners manual, there is a chart which shows what listening modes are available for each type of input. For analog inputs there are a number of simulated surround modes like orchestra or hall or ... etc. But for a Dolby Digital Stereo input the only options available will be DD Stereo or Dolby ProLogic 2. There's no way to get 6 discrete channels from a 2 channel (stereo) input, so DD 5.1 is out of the question. And I believe that if the signal arrives in a Dolby format then it must be played in a Dolby format - DD Stereo or ProLogic 2. I'd guess that's something Dolby designed in for their own benefit. They wouldn't want anyone using DTS Neo.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you have a Dolby Digital DTV receiver, you won't ever get a DD on your 696. A vast majority of standard DTV receivers do NOT have DD capabilities.

Furthermore, there's less than 10 channels I've found that even include a DD signal to pass to the receiver. Most Pay-Per-Views that are presented in LTB (letterbox) format inlude a DD5.1 bitstream. The first Starz! channel has it, as well as an occasional HBO broadcast(like Band of Brothers...simply awesome). None of the networks are in DD.

I specifically went and bought a DD DTV receiver, just so I could have the capabilites.

Look for the Dolby Digital logo on the front of your DTV receiver. If it's there, then you should be able to get DD from your 696. If not, then the best you can get is Prologic, since most all DTV signals are in stereo.

-Seth

todd Michael

Auditioning
i had know idea that so many channels don't come in 5.1! i thought every show on my dtv that said DD would deliver 5.1. So far HBO 1 just comes in DD stereo, same is true with stars 1. Only channel giving me real DD is PPV leterbox Tomb Raider. I thought i did all my researh, this makes it hard for me to justify the money ive spent for all the new stuff. Just for DVD. Maybee ill go rent some more to feel better, but the truth is i watch way more on DTV(tivo)than the 1 dvd a week. I have 20 days left to send it all back. i feel that sinking feeling :frowning:

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
DD isn't just 5.1...there's 2 channel, and even DD mono. Although, pretty much everything I can recall seeing on DTV that has said "Dolby Digital" in the program guide has been in 5.1.

DTV is underutilizing it in my opinion.

Jim Ed

Agent
It is tricky how they work it. I think dolby surround is the older 2.0 format and dolby ditigal is the 5.1 format. There is usually 1 ppv, 1 hbo and 1 starz doing the 5.1 format. Also some of the other hbo channels do the 2.0 format, which you can use a pro logic surround field and get the sound where it should be.

todd Michael

Auditioning
thinking out loud, just wondering if by the time most off the channels are in 5.1 my 696 will be to out dated, and something else will take over. i wonder if i should wait a little.

off topic my apologies!!

this paid off for me with my home phone, i wanted multi handset cordless answereing machine, speaker phone(all handsets)ability to check and screen messages from any hand set(not call service but work the machine), get messages from any hand set(play, ff rewind etc), and have caller id. the phone i got fell short and i wanted all these features. So i took it back, waited 6 months, and sure enough one came out with every one of these. the wait paid off

thanks for the rant

todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks