What's new

My new HT is on the way!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I'm excited! Hopefully I didn't make too many bad decisions. I really had to STRETCH my budget to afford all of this. My wife is ready to kill me lol. I know this isn't all high end stuff but I tried to get the best I could through reviews and personal experience (I've never heard an Infinity speaker that didn't sound great) so here's what I have on the way. LG 55" LED 120hz Receiver - Denon AVR 1713 Center - Infinity PC163BK with 6.5" ( I was going to get an actual center speaker but was told matching the center with the fronts is ideal) Front L/R Infinity Primus P163BK with 6.5" Rear L/R Infinity Primus 153 with 5.25" Outlaw LFM 1 - Plus and a pair of Sanus 36" Cherry stands for the rear that will match the new TV stand I also purchased. I feel bad because I was going to get a HSU sub and posted over there, but I decided last minute that a down-firing sub would be more beneficial for me. So I'm just waiting for everything to get here so I can justify the $2500+ (I am afraid to add it all up lol but guaranteed she will haha) So what do you guys think? This will be going in my 15x16x9 room. Will I be enjoying some movies or what? I read mixed reviews on the Denon receiver, there was quite a few bad reviews about failures but also lots of good reviews so I figured I would take the gamble.. Everything in that price range has good and bad anyways.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Also I ordered cables and 100' of wire, 14 gua.. This better blow my LG sound bar and little woofer box away or I'm dead!

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Sorry for multiple posts, can't find the edit button... Should I have purchased an amplifier with this too?? :confused:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Denon is your amplifier. Down vs front is a personal choice. If you have kids, or friends that walk clumsy...they can't kick/play with the driver in a down firing sub. Makes zero sonic difference. As long as the 1713 has all the features you need, great. It has a warranty...as long as it was bought authorized. Even Toyota makes lemons(they just paid a 1 Billion dollar class action).

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I think it has more than I will ever use lol. I didn't think I needed another amp, just wanted to make sure. Kids is exactly why I chose the down-firing sub. :) Well and a 1yr old golden retriever that runs and jumps around like crazy lol.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife is ready to kill me lol.
My wife questioned my sanity when I stared setting up our dedicated room. Now, after we have been away for a while, she will sit down and say "I've missed this room" when we get back.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I wish I had an extra room to dedicate to a HT.. That would be nice! Our living room will have to do for now lol. If we ever move though I will be looking for a good room for a HT.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Banana Clips, are these necessary? I figured twisting up some good 14 guage wire would be just fine. Am I missing out on soomething other than ease of connecting them?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Banana Clips, are these necessary? I figured twisting up some good 14 guage wire would be just fine. Am I missing out on soomething other than ease of connecting them?
No, a direct connection is usually better than using clips. But they are handy if you constantly swap out speakers or are moving things around a lot.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ryan West said:
I use Banana Plugs for the reason Al stated but they're not necessary. If you do go with twisting the wire make sure there aren't any stray strands touching the receivers cabinet, or each other. It's a common issue that causes the receiver to go into Protect Mode and shut down. Don't forget a surge protector/UPS. Make sure everything is turned off when making connections. particularly the display and subwoofer.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Already thrown for a loop... The PS163BK's don't have wall mount holes in them.. I'd planned on mounting them on the wall on each side of the TV. I purchased 2 more stants instead ut these speakers are HEAVY.. a lot bigger than I expected and I'm worried about the kids knocking them over or onto them selves.. I have a 4mo old.. Maybe I can screw them down to the floor, not sure till they get here..

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
So I got my receiver today and tonight after work I did a quick 5.0 audyssey setup minus the sub.. All I can say is WOW! Totally awesome! I am already satisfied and I'm sure the sub is going to be the icing on the cake! A couple observations though, Listening to music on youtube, sounds the best on "Game" sound mode. It has a surround sound that the other options dont. The "Music" Mode seems to throw all the sound from the front speakers and doesn't sound as big at all. If I sit in the center of the seating area I get a great (awesome surround sound.. but my lazy boy recliner is more to the left and when I sit there the left rear seems to be a little over powering. Any suggestions on evening that out without ruining the sound for those in the center and on the right? It could possibly be the quick setup I did, I maybe could've done a better job with mic placement. Maybe it's just because it's all a new sound to me but I couldn't imagine it being any better, it's like being in a theater! One other thing I see a lot of people talk about their normal listening levels to be at like -30.. I have it at 3/4 volume and it's about right, could be a little louder lol.. I don't want to ruin my speakers though, will it hurt to run it at higher levels? I'm getting 0 distortion, just great sound.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It doesn't need to be on a tripod. If he has access to one fine, if not place the mic about ear height where you sit. I set the mic on top of a couple books on the back of my recliner.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Yeah I used a tripod but I probably didn't set it in the right spots.. Not gonna mess with it till my sub gets here today!! I hope FedEx gets here before I go to work. It'll be a long night waiting to get home and play lol.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Spots? Does your receiver tell you to use multiple spots? I set my speakers manually with a calibration disc and a decibel meter(held right in front of my face).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You're falling behind Jim! The "new" calibration programs can take measurement at different locations and average them. It provides a better result than measurements from a single location. Although, if you generally listen by yourself in a single seat, like I do with my music set-up, I don't thin kit matters much. And using a tripod is better than using something solid, because the solid object will alter the waveforms seen at the mic (reflection, and conductance, like a jawbone).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
No I'm not. I wouldn't want to take measurements at different locations and average them. I want the sound to be calibrated for where I sit. My sweet spot !! I have used the auto speaker setup in my receiver, but I had to change settings anyway. It set all my speakers to "large", so I had to change them back to small. Stupid. I got a better result by doing it manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks