What's new

My mini review - Toshiba HD-XA2 (1 Viewer)

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
That sucks, sorry to hear. I think there's a thread about your Pioneer receiver over on AVS regarding the problem. I think there was talk about a possible upcoming firmware update to resolve the issue.

Interesting thing is, I'm using my Pioneer Elite VSX80-TXV receiver as a HDMI switcher between the XA2 and my DirecTV HR20 HD Sat/DVR receiver, and it works fine.

Do you need the HDMI switching of the receiver instead of plugging directly into the TV? If so, you may want to consider this as an alternative for the time being:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Thanks for the information. I have made a temporary change to my cabling to fix the problem.

I am putting the HDMI from the Tosh XA2 directly to my Panny Projector, and hooking the receiver up to the projector with component cables. As my projector is only 720p, I am not lossing anything other than convience with my Samsung of H20 DirecTv.

Hooked the Tosh analog to the receiver. All it requires is an extra step in selecting the proper input to the projector for viewing HD-DVD or output from the receiver. It still is a pain.

I guess I should go to AVS and see if there is any news on the possible firmware upgrade. The only thing I can figure is that is an issue with the HDMI 1.3 and the Pioneer.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good that you got it going but hate it that you lose some connection with your DirectTV. Hopefully it will all get worked out.

Do you have any comments about image quality compared to your former XA-1? :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well, after what feels like hours on the phone with Toshiba and Pioneer Customer Support, Pioneer admitted that their recievers with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 will not accept the video signal from a HDMI 1.3 source. I had a friend bring over his PS3, and sure enough, it would not pass video, only audio. Pioneer informed me that they have no planned fix for this problems in the engineering, so it looks like my 6 month old Elite Reciever is obsolete. This sucks.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Yeah, that does suck. But then why does my Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver pass the XA2's HDMI signal just fine? I think it may be more of an issue directly related to the 84TXI receiver, at least from what I've heard over on AVS.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

You might be right. Pioneer mentioned that it was a problem with my receiver and the 72 and 74. I just assummed that if the 84 had the problem, the 80 must also. Go figure.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
If this is the case, an XA2 FW update may solve this issue. And there's some reports that an A2/XA2 update is in the works and due to be released very soon.

Fernalfer

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Hey i read this:

1080p Video Output via HDMI 1.3
In order to complement the newest HDTVs the HD-XA2 outputs 1080p via the industry`s newest all digital connector, HDMI 1.3, which adds a new level of performance with the potential for deep color.

Does this mean you need a HDMI 1.3 TV and receiver in order to output 1080P?

I have the Samsung 5087. 1080p

Also for those that have experienced TrueHD tracks as compared to regular Dolby Digital 5.1. Is the a major difference in sound and if so what? Does it just send the right sounds to the right speakers? Or is it just better clarity? or is it just louder?

I'm curious before diving in and getting the X-A2

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
IMHO, TrueHD has a more spacious soundfield to it. Whether or not you can detect the difference will depend on your audio equipment, setup and your ears. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will still get 1080p on your display that is not 1.3 HDMI, however, not deep color which still hasn't been used on any released software at this time.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
The XA2 doesn't support 1080p just yet. A firmware upgrade from Toshiba will resolve this though - estimated to be in their 2nd FW update release.

As far as audio - if your receiver can decode the audio via HDMI then you're fine. Otherwise, you'll need to connect the XA2's 5.1 audio outputs into your receiver's 5.1 analog inputs.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Use Y-adapters to split the surrounds for the 2 backs, or wait and buy something that can decode 7.1 audio over HDMI. I don't think there's any 7.1 soundtracks out at the moment either though.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I was under the impression that it did output 1080p/60 out of the box and the firmware upgrade would enable it to display 1080/24p. You should ask Robert Zohn, he should be able to clarify it.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Sorry, yes - I omitted the /24 from my posting. 1080p/60 is currently available.

Blkout2k1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

XA2 and PS3 here both going through my 84TXSi without any problems. You have something setup incorrectly. Are you trying to pass 1080p or 1080i?

Blkout2k1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

No idea why a Pioneer rep told you that, my 84TXSi works just fine with 1.3 sources.

Blkout2k1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

He has something setup incorrectly. I do not know of anyone else having this issue with a XA2 or PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks