What's new

My losing battle with static electricity (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
are you sure it wasnt just the carbonation, having light meet with the bubbles.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Me too! Here's a tip and it works for me, try to get used to closing your car door with your elbow (assuming of course you have on a jacket or sweater) and before you open your door from the outside, quickly, and I mean like a snake striking out, tap the metal of your handle.

I haven't been shocked by a car door in a couple of years by doing that.

I HATE static electricity, I actually fear it a little lol.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Damn! Dome

I don't have a problem with my car but I have a couple of friends with Hondas and they bite me every time I touch them.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I have had this problem since I can first remember. Cars with fabric interiors are the worst. Leather is quite a bit better. I can't even get near those uber soft fleece sheets. The hair on my arms will stand up and I know that impending doom is near if I get any closer. Rayon or Nylon fabrics? Forget about it.

I get shocked by my computer, lights, faucets, running water, computer speakers, refrigerator, cars, computer mouse and etc. I've even tried the "grab the door metal before putting your foot on the ground" procedure. All I get is a series of sparks between my fingers.

The worst one ever was with my '97 Dakota with fabric interior. It was cold and dry and I grabbed the top of the door before putting my foot on the ground. I could feel it building up as I'm slipping off the seat and when my foot hit the ground these bright blue sparks shot between all my fingers on the door and it burned like mad! It actually made my hand hurt.

So now I do the "fast as a snake strike" on anything I touch and it's usually not bad. Summer is fine but the dryness of Winter is bad.

I've found that shoes do play a big role in just how bad a shock I will get. And right now the shoes I have are horrible but I have had some that brought it down to a more tolerable level.

When I was stationed on Okinawa I used to see the cars with this small metal strap hanging down. When the car was moving the strap would flip up and not touch the ground. When stopped it would touch the ground. A light grounding strap I guess? I keep meaning to figure out a way of doing this on my cars with maybe a light chain or extremely light metal strapping to see if it helps.

I am really tired of being shocked.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yes, Shawn that would be a grounding strap. If you operate a forklift of any kind on a concrete or tile floor, you should have a ground strap underneath to keep you from blasting off when you climb down and touch the ground.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's that time of year again. I get shocked touching the door, the stereo . . . I even gave the cat a little jolt. The final straw was when I blew up the gas station. I'm now entering a gene therapy program to remove my electrical powers.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Not so fast Greg! Have you tried "Xavier's School for Gifted Individuals"? They can help you control your powers and lead a normal life.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

What can Spock do for me? ;)

You would send Sylar after me? I'm going to cower in the corner now. Maybe Arthur Petrelli will take it away before he gets here. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nah, i'm just funnin' with ya, Greg. ;)

I had an incident at work today whereby I thought that I momentarily gained the power of Sith Lightning. I touched a handful of bags that we make and I saw sparks! :frowning::frowning:

I hate my job in winter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I shocked my cat yesterday, which was sad. :frowning:

It could be worse, though. I touched a Christmas light bulb to make sure it was seated properly, and actually got a steady jolt. It only stopped when I jerked my hand away. Good thing it wasn't strong enough that I couldn't break the connection.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Right, plus that would have been an embarrassing way to go, death by Christmas tree.

It sounds like an opening death sequence from a Six Feet Under episode.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Salsa, of course.

Silica packets remove moisture from the air and compound the problem.

Salsa removes the charge but make sure you know where your towel is!

DaveMcS

Second Unit
All good travellers always know where there towel is:

"any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks