"My Life", MAR?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Williams, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I just rented and viewed "My Life" based on the thread Films that made you cry. I was expecting a widescreen version but instead when it started up I got the dreaded "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your screen..." I was under the impression that it was a widescreen DVD. Are there two versions?

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I bought a copy from Wal-Mart's $5.50 bin, which had WS and FF. I've noticed that many copies now are just FF so apparently there are two versions now.

3. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Oh well, it looks like the version that Netflix ships is FF although it states it is WS.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Columbia has been dropping the widescreen sides from some of their dual sided/format catalog releases. They lowered the price a bit, but who cares.

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Okay - I haven't picked this up yet, so how do you tell what release has the WS version on it? Does it list it on the back specs? I'll be seriously pissed if I order this online and I get the FS only version.

6. WillG

WillG Producer

Yeah, the back of the package would indicate whether on not the disc has both version or just the Full Screen version. If you are buying online, it could be trickier. But you can always contact the online store and ask if they still have the version with a WS side.

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    If that's the case, I think I'll just be sure to pick up this title in Best Buy or someplace similar rather than online. Thanks for the response.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY DOING THIS??? This has me so angry that I'm not going to buy any more Sony electronics.

9. WillG

WillG Producer

If you can find it in a B&M, cool. But keep in mind the "initiative" by Columbia is not just a Wal*Mart thing. It is being done across the board. This advice goes for anyone: Get your Columbia catalog DVD with the WS side intact while supplies still last (it's not being done to every dual sided/format release they have, I think, but better safe than sorry.)

Brandon, I wouldn't think "My Life" is a guaranteed find at a B&M. If you cannot find this at one of them. Deep Discount DVD provides a customer service phone number on their site. The couple of times I had to call them on some things, they were pretty courteous and helpful. Good luck.