What's new

My last Dreamcast game? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
With the addition of NHL 2K2, I sometimes think my collection is complete, despite having only a dozen games. I've played more than a dozen, of course, but I didn't find much replay value in many of them; I'm an arcade gamer at heart, so having to earn cars (for example) just doesn't appeal to me. I just want to play, damn it.
I guess I'm looking for suggestions, games I might have missed. S.F. Rush 2049 is the only one that still tempts me, if I could ever find it for under $30 (and, yes, I did find NHL 2K2 used for under $30, fortunately). I hear great things about Rez, but I'm hesitant to spend the money on a new import and a boot disc, especially if it would be the only import I'd get. Similarly, I'm sure Samba De Amigo could be a blast with the maracas, but is it worth it to save $200+ by using the standard controllers to play it?
The games I've kept:
- Atari Anniversary Edition
- Bomberman Online
- Crazy Taxi
- Crazy Taxi 2
- ChuChu Rocket!
- Hydro Thunder
- MagForce Racing
- Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 1
- Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 2
- NHL 2K2
- SoulCalibur
- Space Channel 5
- Virtua Athlete 2000
- Virtua Tennis
The games I haven't kept include NFL Blitz 2001, Jet Grind Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Toy Commander, Test Drive 6, Vanishing Point, Bangai-O, Unreal Tournament, and Re-Volt. I'm sure I'm missing a few.
Anyway, I look forward to suggestions. :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Don't spend money on a bootdisk - there's perfectly usable ones for REZ available for download online at DCEmulation. The Utopia disk is what I use for REZ & other European games.
If you've got access to a PS2, it may be worthwhile renting REZ for it from Blockbuster to see if it's worthwhile importing. I love it to bits - it's stylish, it's fun, it's impressive, and did I say it's fun?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Hey David,
Since you like the Crazy Taxies and Hydro Thunder I think you'll really like SF Rush 2049 - I think it's a blast. Crazy physics, but that's part of the fun. This is the best you'll currently see any Rush game on a home console. It's also pretty darn difficult I think (I'm no expert gamer), but I also like that you don't have to place first overall in the circuits to unlock new engines, tires, tracks, etc. Which makes me keep playing. Lots of exploration, too...
The stunt arenas are really fun too, and a nice touch, even if I find them insanely impossible.
I don't know how things are in Ohio, but here above San Francisco you can't get this game *anywhere* except online. I got mine new for $20 last year and it was worth every penny.
I can think of MANY more great games... I think the DC has more than just a dozen "keepers", all depending on your taste of course. The Power Stone games (particularly PowerStone2 with 4-player simultaneous) are some of the most fun multiplayer fighters on the system, I really recommend them. They're more of the button-mashing variety, but very imaginative with lots of environmental interaction and weapons. If you like Bomberman you'll like this.
Do you like shooters? As you didn't seem to like Bangai-O I won't push this, but there are some nice ones available if you ever get interested.
Samba de Amigo... depends. I am addicted to music/rhythm games (don't really care for the slow controller response of Space Channel 5), but without the maracas this is not a "must-have" game. The only sound you'll have to accompany the music are the sounds of your fingers hitting the plastic controller!
Definitely get yourself a boot disc, preferably following BrianB's advice. The import games can be pretty cool, yes, especially Rez. :D There are lots of cool arcade-style titles if you scan the online retailer import lists.
Steve

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
None whatsoever. Crisper graphics via VGA, but with a little slowdown in places (not that it affects the game). The game is exactly the same as far as I know.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just looked on ebay and the Maracas are going for ~$50 I recently played Samba at a friend's house and man is it fun. The songs alone are worth buying the game for, even if it does have the Macaroni.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Are those official Maracas or some other brand?

And does it matter? I had a friend say the official ones are better, but that's only one opinion.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Dave EH, I have knock-off maracas, and while they're not that good, they get the job done. They're a lot cheaper, and easier to find. I haven't used official maracas, but yes, they are supposed to be better.

(Paragraph removed by me)

Suggestions: Headhunter, Capcom v SNK 2 Millionaire fighting.

I also recommend you get Jet Grind Radio from your list... I liked it better than the Xbox version. (It's more fun to tag in the DC version).

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Three of the best fighters, IMHO, are on the Dreamcast.

Powerstone 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

UFC

Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle

I would add all four to my library if I could. You also may want to add Tennis 2K2 as well. It is the sequel to the very good Virtua Tennis.

I know you said you like arcade style games, but I also recommend Shenmue, Ecco, Rayman 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica (if you don't have a PS2).

-Dean-

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Powerstone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
UFC
Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle
Don't forget Guilty Gear and Soul Caliber! :D
And Gui, I have to agree about Jet Grind Radio.. I enjoy the graffiti spraying aspect of that game, as opposed to the endless roller coaster grinding of the sequel. Not to say I don't love JSRF, and exploration games in general, but there is something I prefer about running from the cops and spraying, as opposed to only fighting them in a closed arena every few levels.
Joseph

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have a set of knockoff maracas as well, and they work just fine!

If you like racing games, Ferrari 355 is fantastic, although it may be too simulation-y for your tastes. It's tough!

I've also heard that DC LeMans is superior to the PS2 version. Can anyone confirm or deny?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Le Mans DC is way way better than the PS2 port. It's a very tough racer, but very good.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Well, low prices have a way of making me change my mind.
I found a new copy of S.F. Rush 2049 for under $20 at a local Circuit City, so I bit. They had a number of 2D and 3D fighters, too, including Street Fighter Alpha 3 for $10, Virtua Fighter 3tb for $20, and Capcom vs. SNK and Marvel vs. Capcom for $15, but I haven't bought any of them...yet.
Dean, I notice that you recommend Tennis 2K2 in addition to Virtua Fighter. I've read complaints that 2K2 isn't as easy to "pick up and play" as the original was, which is somewhat important to me, as my sports games don't get much play unless I have a group over, none of whom have any experience with the games otherwise. Confirm/deny?
Also, I've been reading the GTA2 threads here, and the game has my curiosity piqued. Is it something you play like an arcade game, maybe just drive around for fifteen minutes running people over, or is it oriented more towards finishing levels and earning weapons/upgrades? Or both?
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I get the feeling I might be spending more money on this system after all, although I'm still not convinced that the knock-off maracas will get me to take the Samba plunge, even at that price. :D

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Also, I've been reading the GTA2 threads here, and the game has my curiosity piqued. Is it something you play like an arcade game, maybe just drive around for fifteen minutes running people over, or is it oriented more towards finishing levels and earning weapons/upgrades? Or both?
Most definitely both :)
GTA2, like the other GTA games, is nice & open ended that way - it functions both as a 'play straight through' game with a bunch of missions to complete & a target score to achieve on each level, plus it acts as a sandbox where you can just pick it up to play in bursts - go on rampages, do weird stuff, just cause chaos. It attempts to reward creative play in the missions and in general.
It has a different look to the other games due to its "5 minutes into the future" setting - it doesn't have the realistic cars for example. But that's outweighed (in my opinion!) by the personality of the gangs, the retro cars & the uniqueness of the 'respect' system that isn't really in the other GTA games. The DC version has really nice lighting like the PC version. I'd grab it for cheap from EBWorld while you can.
By the way, I wouldn't buy VF3tb at $20 - that's a little overpriced.

millercv

Second Unit
I bought my Samba De Amigo controllers from Hong Kong - there are several places selling them CHEAP (between 8-20)but shipping is a bit pricey. That is where the eBay people are getting them.

Just do a google search on "Cha Cha de Amigo" and you will find several

hope this helps

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
For the DC,

Powerstone 2 (Like a fighting 4 person Chu-Chu Rocket)

and DOA 2 are the ones that I like, not on your list.

Speaking of which... Mag racer over MSR? Wow...

Jim

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet (suprisingly) I'll throw in Daytona USA. Very fun arcade racer. Just make sure you tweak the analong sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks