What's new

My Home Theater Page (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So I have not been able to find the Samsung UBD-K8500 yet and it looks as if the player will not be out till 2/28!

This is my dream 3 channel amplifier that I would love to own some day!

McIntosh MC205.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not sure how long it will take but this is my plan for upgrading my home theater.

2/2016 Purchase Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player
?/2016 Upgrade Samsung One Connect For 55" UHD TV
2016/2017 Upgrade/Purchase Marantz or other brand Reviever w/ UHD 4K switching, Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD, DTS X, DTS Master Audio.
2017/2018 Purchase Bowers & Wilkens 600 Series Bookshelf Speakers for rear channels

? UHD 4K Video Projector + 120" Projection Screen

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Another thing I want to work on is finally using my old Yamaha RX-v995 as a pc amplifier and hood bookshelf speakers up to the 995. I took an extra rack from the garage and placed the printer on top, then the 5.1 receiver then the pc on the bottom. I am thinking about Polk or Klipsch bookshelf speakers and I will use the Polk subwoofer that was used for my home theater before I got the HSU 15" sub.

IMG_7048.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So sometime after I purchase my Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and upgrade my Samsung One Connect on my Samsung UHD TV. I will be picking up a pair of Klipsch or Polk bookshelf speakers, speaker wire and a cable to go from my pc audio card to the Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver. I will also be hooking up my Polk subwoofer to my receiver and getting alot better sound than what pc speakers will provide!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just purchased the Samsung UBD-K8500 from Best Buy Online site and hopefully there will be no availability issues and it will arrive no later than 3/10/2016.

I will also start buying UHD titles as I can afford them and until my hours at work improve I will only be buying UHD titles and very few 1080p blu-ray titles.

UHD Blu-ray Player coming soon!

Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Decided to add an external phono preamp to my system! Am looking at a NAD phono preamp because the one in the Pioneer SC-05 is not very good.

Also might consider Pro-ject Phono Box S phono preamp.

h252PBSB-F.jpeg

41NS1uLiQJL.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Samsung UBD-K8500 has shipped and will be delivered in 4 business days.

Purchased four uhd titles and am ready for the player to arrive and begin playing movie in UHD!

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7106.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well tomorrow or Wednesday I will have my Samsung 4K UHD blu-ray player and another peice of the pie will be in place. Next will be upgrading my Samsung one connect then upgrading my Pioneer SC-05 to a new 4K switching receiver. Then after that my next move will be to get a 4K projector and a nice projection screen to go with it. The final part of the upgrade will be any speaker upgrades and or additions that I might require. But for sometime even though I will be adding 4K UHD blu-rays the 1080p HD (2K) blu-rays will remain at the core of my collection for at least 4-5 years as it will take some time for the 4K UHD titles to catch up.

One of the things I need to figure out is at what point to I phase out the 480p DVD's and 1080 HD-DVD titles?

resolutions-with-names-v2.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Here is my next purchase besides buying a phono preamp.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-3500U/ZA-buy

600x600.jpg

The UHD One Connect Box gets you advanced connectivity and enables you to watch UHD 4k content through streaming services such as Netflix. The One Connect Box is compatible with a range of UHD standards including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs so you are up to date without having to buy another TV.**

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well according to UPS my Samsung UBD-K8500 is scheduled to be here tomorrow and hopefully it will be here around or before 3pm. Would like a little time to mess with the new player before I have to go to work!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 9th, 2016 Wednesday

UPS Delivery: Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Well today is the day that I received my 4K UHD blu-ray player and it is yet another piece in my home theater upgrade. Ultimately the goal is to one day have 4K video switching, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X decoding. And to have a 4K video projector with a good quality projection screen then I can truly concentrate on my movie library and hopefully by that time I will have a better full time job with better pay.

Moving forward while I will still purchase some 1080p (2K) blu-ray titles the focus will be on 4K UHD titles since they are a little more expensive.

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7169.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is kind of funny how you get alittle attached to some of the hardware you purchase and it seemed pointless to have two blu-ray players taking up rack space. I remember after purchasing my first blu-ray player that was a 1st generation Sony that about a year after that I decided I really wanted a Denon player. I have loved the Denon stuff for many years and I finally got the Denon Blu-ray player after saving up for it. Now it is coming out of the rack after saving up for and purchasing a 4K UHD player. So I decided to pull this out of the home theater and will put it in the box and it will be an emergency back up. Later I plan to purchase a higher end UHD player from Denon, Marantz or Oppo.

IMG_7200.JPG

My home theater rack without the Denon BDP-1611UD.
Direct TV Genie
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Toshiba HDAX2 HD-DVD Player

IMG_7202.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
By the end of April I hope to have upgraded my Samsung smart hub to the new version with HDCP 2.2 so I can play native 4K UHD from my Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray player. One step closer to a full 4K UHD video chain from source to display! Next goal after the smart hub will be a new surround sound receiver that has 4K video switching and decoding for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X! The ultimate goal will be to have a 4K projector and a 120" minimum projection screen with 7.2.4 surround sound! I am content to stay with my UHD TV if finances get bad enough to keep me from getting the projections system and upgrading my receivers but if that is the case at least I got this far.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Almost forgot just purchase my 1st DTS-X encoded movie during my 2nd batch of 4K UHD titles!

the-last-witch-hunter-4k-uhd-blu-ray-cover-art.jpg

Titles I own
Dolby Atmos Blu-rays
Mockingjay Pt.1
Transformers: Age Of Extincion
Terminator Genisys

Dolby Atmos 4K UHD Blu-rays
Mad Max: Fury Road
San Andreas

DTS-X Blu-rays
None

DTS-X 4K UHD Blu-rays
The Last Witch Hunter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks