What's new

My Gladiator disk died after 1 time!! Im mad! (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I just bought a 7.1 dts-es reciever and put in Gladiator for only the 2nd time and my panny rv80 would not read the disk. So i put it into my toshiba dvd-rom and Nothing there .So My last chance was my first gen PS2 and same thing. Any one else have disk die even if there isnt a scratch on it?
------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-3802
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 200i
Rear:PSB Alpha Into LR
MTX power sub
cable/speaker wire:Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21
YAHOO messenger: billsfan71

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
you say there isn't a scratch on it.. but is there a crack on the plasic circle anywhere?
i've had discs that cracked in the smallest amount u could possibly think of and they wouldn't play. regardless of if there is something there or not.. i'd say go to wal-mart or k-mart and buy another copy and switch them out. tell them it wouldn't work on your player and they should give you your money back or store credit.
------------------
hypelogo_mjvday2.gif

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Mine just died. It worked fine twice. Now it will not even load. There is not the slightest scratch or bit of dust on the disc.
I have also tried it on several different players (all of which I know to be functioning properly) and it would not load on any of them.
I am afraid this DVD 'rot' aka layer seperation thing is going to be a big issue someday. My theory is that the heat put on the disc while playing is melting the glue.
Anybody have contact information for Dreamworks? Has anybody dealt with them on getting a replacement disc?

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I have watched this movie so many times now that I doubt it has anything to do with the Gladiator disc in general. I am able to watch it on my PS2, Panasonic Palm player, and my toshiba DVD-Rom. There may be something wrong with your disc like a crack or you kept it in a high humid area and there is moisture on it that needs to be wiped off. The only way to see if moisture has dried on it look at the disc in a bright light and see if you can find a white cloud if so just run the disc under some water and then dry it with a micro fiber cloth.
[Edited last by Joshua Moran on October 16, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Just because something is NEW doesn't mean that it isn't a LEMON! One person asked if the disc is cracked in any place, even in the hole where it attaches to the case? You did not answer but stated again the disc is new and clean.
How about fingerprints? Did you leave it in the car too long and it warped? Did you drop the disc on the floor or a table? Or laid it on a table somewhere? Are you a heavy smoker (nicotine residue)? Have a dusty house or shedding pets? (player could be dusty but not the disc). There could be numerous variables but the first thing I would do is take it back to the store and exchange it... or try it out on one of their players.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
The disc has always been kept in a closet that does not get humid, even when it is hot outside or inside. The disc is not warped at all, and I do not smoke. There is not even the slightest crack in the center part of the disc. No pets. I bought the disc when it first came out, close to a year ago. I watched it a couple of times, and then watched it once with the commentary. I have never loaned it to anybody, and there is no kind of residue on the disc. I have tried it on three different players, and it will not even load.
I guess I am really freaked out over this (I know I should not complain too much, there are people in the world that have a hell of a lot more to deal with than this) but I have a HUGE DVD collection and a lot of my disposable income (and then some) goes to it. I take extreme caution when handling any disc, when removing it, etc. I am just afraid that I have a large # of defective DVDs that I am unaware about. Replacing them is difficult, unless they are defective right off the bat, because most stores won't accept a return after 30 or 60 days (definetly not a year later).
[Edited last by Jason Hughes on October 16, 2001 at 06:33 PM]

I had the same thing happen with a Yes House of Blues disc. Worked fine the first time, then nothing. Every player I tried it in doesn't seem to be able to read it. Guess I will try returning it for another copy.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Since your post, I have seen someone else on HTF with the same problem. I guess I need to pull my copy out and look but I seem to remember watching it a couple of times.
One afterthought... Keep in mind that these disc are also spinning at a very high rate of speed at around 6,900(rpm)!
I wonder if possibly there may be a slight separation in layers due to centrifugally forced air if there was a slight gap from pressing ?
Or maybe the hole is not "exactly" round or centered and is reamed out just enough to make it play lopsided the next time?
Just some ideas? I am sure not all discs are defective and with 5.5 million copies being sold, there will be one or two bad ones slip through in pressing!
[Edited last by Steven Page on October 16, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

TimW

Agent
I had the same problem with Gladiator, but not with the movie. It's the extra disk that won't play. I've tried it in tow different players to no avail. What's up?
rolleyes.gif

Tim

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
As a follow-up. Has anybody else experienced problems with their Gladiator DVD?
I called Universal, spoke with a VERY nice person in their DVD department who said they would gladly exchange it for me, regardless of how long ago I bought it. He said in the last year he had gotten about a total 3 Gladiator discs returned to him. Not too bad considereing how many were sold.
Any other problems with other discs that used to work?

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
Just as a little precautionary measure, I treat my new discs with CD Stoplight around the edge of the disc. It stays on and keeps things together. It sure couldn't hurt!

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
I got this product maybe 2 years ago from an audio/video acc. catalog which I no longer have, unfortunately. But, its made by Clear Image Audio. Its pen shaped, like a magic marker. The tip has a groove below the tip to slide around the edge of the CD/DVD. Its green in color. Its supposed to prevent stray light from messing with the laser or some such thing, but so far I've never had a problem playing discs. The entire name of it is AudioPrism CD STOP LIGHT by Clear Image Audio tm Compact Disc Edge Treatment. Good luck, as I think my own pen is about used up.

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
My Yes Live At The Blues disc went bad after the third week of ownership. But this disc was doomed from the start. The case design was made so you have to pry hard on the edge of the disc and that caused the middle to crack. The disc itself was poorly constructed. The inner rim of it began to chip away. It looked like there were two discs glued together. I purchased another about eight months later and everything was taken care of ( they even went to new cases too!).

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Recently many OPERA discs from Anchor Bay went bad after first or second play. My experience was - Played first time, one week later break-up near layer change and then a little later no start.
If interested, use search to find threads. Anchor is replacing at customer request.

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
It does act as a sealant IMO. The "ink" stays on and doesn't flake. As far as sonic/visual improvements? I don't know. I just know I like the stuff and feel better with it on.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Also, many (including me) have had trouble with Anchor Bay's disc of FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN and THE WITCHES. In multiple cases (mine included) the discs played fine when first purchased, now more than a year later they no longer play or lock or freeze up after a certain chapter. My first FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN would no longer play. Then I got one that would lock up an pixelate around and after chapter 11. Now I got one that plays fine. By the way, I tested these on three players, and a DVD computer rom, so it's not the player or storage (the second and third copies were sitting sealed on Best Buy's shelf, not my house), it's the manufacturing or duplicating of the discs themselves. I sent my defective discs to a reliable person at Anchor Bay, and he's going to look into the matter.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
....and my WITCHES and FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN... died as well...ugh!!!!...what is up here? They played fine when first purchased...now i cant even get FRANKENSTEIN...WOMAN to even start and WITCHES will only play for the first minute or so.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently bought Gladiator after borrowing my friend's copy numerous times with no problems.
The first copy I opened had trouble loading on my Pioneer DV-333. I looked at the disc and noticed small bubbles on the center hub (of disc 1). I exchanged it for another copy and this one had the same bubbles, but to a lesser extent.
That one seemed to work fine, so I'm not sure if the bubbles could be a sign of a problem. I haven't checked any of my other discs, so I don't know if the bubbles are normal, or if they're signs of the dreaded layer separation.
I bought the disc from my local CC (I know, shame on me), so it's conceivable that it's from old stock that's been sitting around for a while (although my friend's was from an Amazon pre-order, so that disc was first generation). Maybe a bad batch sometime during a later run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks