What's new

My first "serious" camera: Looking for thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T2i or better (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, Man edited his post.

Yes, "filament" light sources are very predictable. Vapor lights are not at all predictable and sometimes simply can't be corrected for entirely. Of course, filament lights are becoming less common. It remains to be seen how easy or difficult LED light sources will be to work with.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I love RAW shooting and recommend it for most shooters, I'd recommend that a newbie shoot JPEG when they are first learning. If you can learn to nail your exposure and color in the camera, you'll be much better off.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ron, congrats on your purchase! Once you have had some time to familiarize yourself with the controls and start shooting, I think you'll be hooked. I also use the SB600 speedlight and find it more than adequate for my needs (make sure you pick up some AA lithium batteries for it.) When I bought my D90 last year, I bought the body only because one of my co-workers had offered to sell me his 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I since have bought a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens and plan to pick up a prime wide angle and a better quality zoom lens. It's a bit of a Catch 22 though, because I want better glass for my vacation trips but I can't afford some of my vacation trips if I am getting the better glass!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

You got a D90 as well? That's great. Just loved

the feel of the camera. Also, the BH Photo reviews

I read were mostly from newbies that said the camera

is so well laid out that it's easy for new photographers

to take great photos right away -- even in auto mode.

The camera should be here in a few days but it still

will be another 10 days till I take it out of the box as

I still have to buy memory for it and I have spent a

lot of money already this month.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, Meritline.com is a good place to get memory. Don't bother with the fastest possible rated memory. Those cards are incredibly cheap to manufacture and are the "Monster Cable" of the camera world.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Want to pick the best of the bunch for me?

http://www.meritline.com/8gb-sdhc-card---c-7655.aspx

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It probably doesn't make much difference, but you can't go wrong with Kingston, so I would probably get this one.

http://www.meritline.com/kingston-8gb-sdhc2-class4-sd-card2---p-18667.aspx

It is compatible with HD video, so should be many times faster than you need. Get more than one and spread the use between them. They seem to have messed up their item attributes, because I believe the three options should be for 1, 2 or 3 cards. Get at least 2. That's only $32 delivered.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron, if you want to "nerd it up," Rob Galbraith has memory card info sorted by camera. Here is the D90 page: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

The D90 page hasn't been updated it a while, but it should give you an idea of what cards work well and you don't necessarily have to buy the latest and fastest cards (and most expensive).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't lose 10 days of your return window waiting on SDHC cards, buy a cheap 2GB card and test the D90''s sensor, look for hot spots, and other operational uses of the camera. Or at least use the SD card that should come with the D90 and take photos right away (again, buy a cheap card from any local store like Target, etc. if it didn't come with the D90) and test out the camera.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

Can you briefly explain testing the D90s sensor

and looking for hot spots?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

You know what is so frustrating about this?

By the time I figure out what a hotspot is I
will have owned that camera for months.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At least you'll have the Nikon warranty to help in getting such a situation remedied. Hot pixels can happen, but they aren't usually deal-breakers, more like minor annoyances (unless they are in prominent position near the center of the frame). I just didn't want you to waste your Onecall 30-day return privileges waiting on a memory card in case you get a D90 with hot spots from the get-go.

Just shoot dark areas, or a dark or black piece of paper/wall, and then look for red pixel spots in the photo file. Then take a photo of light or white surface/wall/paper, and look for dark spots that shouldn't be in the photo file when you look at it. Plus, if you re-size your photos to a smaller size, most of those pixel issues might go away, not so much if you only crop the photo.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron, I thought I'd also mention that Nikon has an iPhone app called Nikon Learn and Explore that is pretty cool.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just for s@#ts and giggles, the 60D was officially announced today. Let's see how close I got:

• 9 point cross type AF - check
  • 18MP similar to 7D/T2i - check
  • 1080p movie - check
  • No mention of weather sealing - got that wrong
  • Closer to 7D than T2i body size - think I got that wrong too, it's smaller than the 50D
  • 5.3FPS shooting, I was off by 1FPS
  • MSRP $1099 - off by $1!
  • Most compelling new addition that I missed: articulating LCD screen

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Again, the rumored 60D will be a replacement for the 50D. It will be superior to the T2i (in Canon's line) and would be a competitor with the D90's replacement (which is overdue as well, but I don't follow Nikon as closely so I don't have info on that). It would likely sit between the T2i and the 7D. Here are my [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]totally bogus wild guesses [/COLOR]as to what the 60D would have:

• Either 19 autofocus points with 9 cross-type, or 9 autofocus points with all cross-type (currently what's on the50D). I say this because the 7D has 19 point all cross-type autofocus points, the T2i has 9 points with cross type center point, so I'm going to guess it's going to be in between the two.
  • Same/similar sensor to the T2i and 7D. Canon is very hush hush about whether they're the same, and enthusiasts sites are split, some claiming they're the same, some claiming they're not. Canon's word is "they're not exactly the same" FWIW.
  • 1080p movie mode (and other resolutions, currently no movie mode in the 50D)
  • Partial weather sealing - less than the 7D, more than the T2i (which has none).
  • A body build closer to the 7D in size, less in weight due to less sealing
  • 6.3FPS shooting (7D=8, T2i=3.7) - I know this is the same as the current 50D but if they match the 7D then they will cannibalize those sales.

Again, all hearsay and rumor and I don't profess to know anything concrete about this Sasquatch of a camera. And likely it will be priced at the $1100 price point.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The articulating screen, smaller size, plastic body, lesser auto focus system, and SD memory card features make this an easy decision -- I'll move to the 7D instead of the 60D if/when I decide to upgrade from my 40D.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Still for $1100 that's a great deal. I'll never go back to the Canon autofocus system but in every other respect its come a looooong way from my 20D. I guess Canon feel's the 9 point is 'good enough' for most people but that just leaves me scratching my head...

More info and the bevy of neat lenses they announced with it. That fish sounds VERY cool. I dunno about a $1500 70-300L tho...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/canon-eos-60d-18-megapixels-and-1080p-video-flexes-its-articula/

http://gizmodo.com/5622239/canon-60d-brings-the-perfect-video-dslr-just-a-little-bit-closer

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10054-10883

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10054-10884

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks