What's new

My first post under LINUX!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Wahoo. After several unsuccessful attempts to get my dual network carded (pc software-based router to provide internet connections to my other PCs) on the internet with Linux, I am finally up and running with Mandrake 8.1! Any other linux users out there?
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I have RedHat 7.2, Mandrake 7.2 and Slackware 8.0 installed on my main machine (together with Windows 98, 2000 Pro and XP). I like RedHat the best mainly because of the ease of it's installation and superior hardware detection, but in all honesty, when I want to actually *do* something with the PC I go back to Win2000.
------------------
"There is evil there that does not sleep"

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
All of the web services in my home are hosted under Red Hat and will be filtering through a firewall running Slackware as soon as I finish setting up the ipforwarding rules...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading that Linux was free (for download, legally). Is this true? If so, where can it be downloaded?
Peter

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've downloaded Linux Mandrake 8.1 and have been itching to get it installed. I had it installed at one point a few weeks ago, but had to completely wipe out my hard drive and start over from scratch due to a bad motherboard install. I've got the disk already partitioned and ready to go. I just need the guts to go for it again. All this talk of Linux has got me itching again. Maybe tomorrow....
Peter - Go to http://www.linux.com
mickey31.gif

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You can get most of the Linux distributions from here:
Link Removed
They're all CD ISO images, so you'll need to burn them out to CD-R.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I have an old copy of Mandrake Linux (6.5 I think) loaded on an even older 486/120 machine that's acting as a firewall, NAT router, and email gateway. Although I can telnet into it and use PINE to send/retrieve email, and ftp to download files, I can't surf the web on it since the machine's too old and clunky to run any kind of GUI on it. But it lets me surf the Web from any other machine in my house (that's connected to the hub, that is).
But for what I set it up for it works great (keeping script kiddie hacker wannabes off of my network).
KJP

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
It's official. I'm now running Mandrake 8.1 on my computer and I'm posting this message from my Linux GUI (currently running KDS with the Konqueror browser. I just installed it (it took about 45 minutes including the time it took to print out my network settings and my system resources report). I haven't even had time to look around in my GUI. Just set things up and got on here to report in. So I'm now an official Linux Newbie! When do I get my membership card and decoder ring?
I have a 30 Gig hard drive. The last time (a couple weeks ago) that I had to repartition and reformat the hard drive I just partitioned 20 Gig to be used for Windows (running Win98 SE) and left the other 10 Gig unformated. So today I set up 1 Gig for Linux swap space and the remaining 9 Gig for Linux. Running this machine dual boot.
Well, time to do some digging around. First order of business is to modify LiLo to boot Windows by default. I'm off to play!
Edit: Oops, forgot to turn on sig.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on November 18, 2001 at 03:17 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Shweet! Got LiLo reconfigured. Now I boot into Windows by default. That makes things easier on my wife, since we'll be using Windows for everything. Linux is just for me to play with. Now...to figure out this firewall thing...
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Charles - Login as root and edit the file /etc/lilo.conf. You'll have something that looks like
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
Change the line "default=linux" to "default=windows"
I also changed the timeout to be 30 (that's 30 tenths of a second or 3 seconds). Save the file and run lilo. (Just right click on the desktop and choose Run Command and type in lilo and click on OK.) Then reboot the machine. When the LiLo prompt comes up it will have windows already selected and you'll have whatever timeout you specified as a timelimit to select Linux if you want to boot Linux.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Downloading the Redhat ISO's right now (glad I have a cable modem). What program would you guys recommend for burning the ISO's?
Also, how much disk space will the installed Redhat 7.2 take up? I only have about 2.2GB left on the harddrive, and I would like to dual boot with Win98SE (current OS).
Peter

PhilM

Grip
On Mandrake 8.1 also, Welcome fellow mandraker!!! Ain't it grand! i like it so far, i haven't had any problems with it. it was an upgrade from 7.0 for me. much easier time installing than 7.0 too! no extra scripting for my promise drive. made me happy

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Just about any CD burner software should be able to burn the ISO images... Nero, Easy CD Creator, CDRWIN, etc etc. In Nero it's as easy as choosing File->Burn Image from the menu, the others I don't have enough experience with...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Congrats on running Linux! I use a Mac laptop running OS X as my primary machine, but I spend quite a bit of time in the Terminal, using the FreeBSD core of MacOS X. I run my own webserver and mail server at a friends store (he's got a T1), running RedHat Linux (just upgraded to 7.2 over the weekend. Journaling filesystems are good!). At work, I'm a unix systems administrator, mostly running Suns. But we're trying to play with Linux more, to see what we can make it do.
There is a world outside of Windows. And its stable :)

PhilM

Grip
what do you guys think of "Lindows"? personally i just heard about it 2 or 3 days ago on TechTv. Not much is known about this OS, but supposedly it can run linux and windows software....i smell lawsuit in the wings.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching TechTV too (The Screen Savers). They said that there are already ways to run Windows programs on Linux (I forget what it is called), and that Lindows is just combining them into one OS... so nothing new. They also said that Lindows will be $100, I don't see many Linux fans paying for this when they can get it for free.

Peter

PhilM

Grip
exactly, pay for any type of linux type software, yeah, sure.

yeah, there are actually a great many different windows emulators. but my curiousity is what is the true bases of the OS, does it have its own specific kernel, or is it one of the two main variations: windows/unix

Users who are viewing this thread