What's new

My first novel (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Hi all!

I've been away from the board - and moviewatching/reviewing in general - for several months now, but I'm back, at least for a few weeks.

I had been putting almost all my spare time into writing a fantasy novel. It's actually something I started back in 1986 (when I was in high school), but didn't get serious about until sometime in 2003. I've actually never completed a book before - this is a pretty big thing for me, and I figured I'd share it with all my friends here. It's definitely not Pulitzer-prize material, and I certainly have a lot of room for improvement, but I think it's a fun read - I certainly had a lot of fun writing it.

The novel is the first of a trilogy called The Saga of the Knights; the first book is called Possessor of the Book. It takes place a few years from now, in a somewhat-alternate timeline; it has magic intertwined with technology, and some political overtones. It's told in third-person perspective, with each section usually focusing on one character's point of view. Most of the main characters are high school students, so it's not a surprise the target audience of the series is Young Adult.

I plan on finishing Book 2 sometime in early to mid 2007, and Book 3 in the summer of 2009, just in time for the story's actual timeframe. :)

I have published the story online under the Creative Commons license; it allows anybody to read, distribute, and even perform the story for free, so long as it is for noncommercial use, the story is unaltered, and proper attribution (credit) is given. I hope the story is decent enough that a publisher might think it worthy enough to want to publish, but I don't really intend to make money off of this story - I'm writing it for the sheer fun of it.

The website went live during the 4th of July weekend; I've received some feedback - positive and negative - but not a lot. Still, I think my writing skills are improving enough that the next book should be even better than this - I have the outline set for everything, and, trust me, there's a lot that's going to go down in Books 2 and 3! :)

Anyway, I hope you have a chance to check out the site, and if you want to read it, I hope you enjoy it. Be forewarned - Book 1 is lengthy: about 330,000 words. I'm sure there's some fluff in there that could've been cut out or tightened up, but I prefer more than less when it comes to a story (and there's a lot of "more" in this one :)).

I'm taking a few weeks' hiatus from writing, 'til late September or so - that should give me a chance to catch up on all the movies I've missed out since last year; I've missed out on more than I can count, and I've not updated my 2005 Film List in a long while.

So, 'til the next book ... enjoy, and thanks in advance for checking it out!

Saga of the Knights website

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dana,

Congratulations with the first book of the trilogy. Haven't had a chance to finish it yet! :)

Cees

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I bookmarked the site Dana, should be a good read once the dark cold days of winter come here in Canada. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks