my first harman kardon experiance - msrp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Albert Noel, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i've never had the pleasure of hearing one in person before, though i always read they were great for the price.

i was out looking for a nice entry level reveiver today and the salsman decided to showed me the H/K 125.

The features and connectivity were great but i was a bit skeptical when he told me it was only about 45w per channel.
    He played some music and a dvd side by side with a pioneer D812 and the H/K blew the pioneer out of the water(IMO). I never realised 45w could sound that way at such a high volume. (-10db on the volume, i'll assume that that's somewhere close to referance level) Saving Private Ryan DTS and SW:AOTC never sounded so good to me. it was like a night and day difference between the two. (using wharfdale speakers all around)

needless to say, i'm sold on the H/K 125. here's where my real question comes in. what should one of these cost? They were asking $799 CAN here. That just seems FAR too pricey to me. is that even close to what one should cost? I'd like to buy locally to save in shipping, but i can't buy one from them at that price. anyone know what the actual canadian MSRP is? where in the ottawa area can i find one for a good price?

thanks guys

2. John Warner

John Warner Extra

Albert, I'm glad to see your a fan of Harman/Kardon. The AVR 125 is a great receiver if you have decent or great speakers. As long as your speakers dont require something crazy like 125watts+ @ 8ohms per speaker, you should be fine. HK typically undershoots when it comes to their watt-ratings. If you listen to any music like phil collins or anything classical and music more than movies HK is typically the way to go. The reason it sounds a little better with music is the way it puts out the current to the speakers, if you did a side by side comparrison, HKs sound a little 'warmer' than quite a selection of other receivers.

3. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

4. scott-a-a

scott-a-a Auditioning

Harman Kardon has a store on Ebay, you can buy a refurbished model with full warranty somewhere between $190-230 USD. Just watch a few items for a couple days to see how bidding is going. I got mine for $202 + tax + $18 shipping

5. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Check out this site. http://www.harmanaudio.com I believe this is the site that Scott is referring to. I have purchased other items (speakers and the like) from this site and have never had a single problem. I believe this is actually a Harman source for refurbs. In any case, they are authorized dealers and you don't have to worry about warranty issues and such. If you don't see the particular model that you are interested in, be patient. They will update the site often and it is only a matter of time before you get what you want from them. Best of luck and welcome to HT!

6. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

If you can afford $799 Canadian which is equivalent to $576USD, you can buy the HK 225 for $298US, HK320 for $398 or HK520 for $498. You can find all these deals at the Harman site. They are all factory refurbs with full manufacturers 2 year warranty.

I'd get the 520 because it has main-ins which means you can use the receiver as an amp down the road. Also has 7.1 pre outs if you already have another 2 channel amp to boost your system to 7.1. It's got 85 watts x 2 or 75 watts x 5 channel running continuously.

Here is the Harman Ebay store referred earlier.

7. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

thanks.
    i looked at the harmanaudio site as well as the ebay store.
    they are much more exceptable prices imo.
    i'll be looking into them in the next few days

[​IMG]

8. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

I also have the AVR-125, and have been enjoying it very much. I was looking at the entire "AVR" line and chose the "125" because it was adequate for my needs. I'm don't intend on running 5.1 for a while, and found that it is a great value. I'm only using the digital inputs for my components though; all video signals are going directly to the TV.

Got mine for $263, NEW.

My only gripe is that you cannot choose cross-over point. Actually, the manual isn't clear on what exactly is AVR-125's cross-over point (when setting speakers to "small"). Does anyone know? Is it 100Hz? 80Hz?

You have to look more in depth than "wattage" ratings. The HK amps have a beefy power supply, and this is why they often outperform other receivers with as much as double the power-watt ratings.

Did you know the difference between two receivers rating 45w/ch. and 90w/ch. is only an increase in 3-dB? To get twice as much volume (usually equates to an increase of 10-dB's) from your speakers, you'd have to run somewhere around 190/ch. After determing this, in addition to not neededing 6.1 or greater, I found that I could not justify the hefty price differences between the other HK receivers (225, 323, 525) and the AVR-125. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy!

Rus

9. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I love my AVR125. I paid 299 for mine. It has all the features I will need for at least a few years. The 45 WPC is rated by driving all 5 channels at the same time. If you look at other receivers, they will publish power ratings by only driving 1 channel. I think they are just a little more honest than most. I think it is a great receiver.

10. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I just got off the phone with a H/K rep out of Canada(1-800-567-3275) and he said that because we can't order from the US refurbish store that they can set us up here in Canada with the same prices! Just email here with the refurbished products that you are interested in, whether or not it is on the US site, and they will e-mail you back with a Canadian price equivalent to what you see on the US site. Include your name address and phone #.
    Here is the address: info@demodeals.com