What's new

My Favorite Martian 1st season from Rhino (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
When I heard about Rhino releasing the complete My Favorite Martian 1st Season I contacted them immediately. The DVD they put out of 4 episodes a few years ago contained a time-sped 22 minute version of the pilot. The other episodes seemed to be fine, running 25:30 each. Here is my letter to them and their response:

I understand you are going to be releasing the complete first season on
DVD. When the show was put out by you in season discs, the pilot episode
was timesped to 22 minutes on the DVD. I complained about this and was told
that nothing would be done to rectify the matter. Will this be corrected
for the season set? Are the people working on this project aware of this
mistake? Real simple, if the show runs 25:30 its the right version. If its
22 minutes, its the wrong version. Not hard to determine. I don't mean to
be flippant but the response I got was basically one of not caring so I am
hoping that a little more pride and professionalism will go into this release.

Thanks for your email. Our video department is aware of the issue, and there are no current plans to amend this episode, but thanks for your input. I'll forward your letter to our suggestion box.

Really shows you how little pride and care goes into these things. This is a simple thing which would just entail them going back to the distributor and asking for the correct speed tape. Obviously since all of the other episodes are the proper speed and running time they were all put on tape this way. But they must feel that 99% of the people either won't know the difference of won't give a shit so why should they bother doing any extra work to put it out right.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I contacted Rhino and pointed them to this thread and here's what they had to say:

Much better response, don't you think Mark?

Gord

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Yes, much better. Apparently you carry some weight with these folks which I do not. That was why I did all my carrying on now, before its too late and they release it. Once something is out there and there are problems, forget about it ever being corrected. That's why I think the bad transfer on the Lost in Space episode "Derelict" as well as the minor cuts are something we'll just have to live with. Likewise the I Spy episodes that have edits in them.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
They just sent you some crappy form letter. The response I received was also sent to a few other people at Rhino so I assume it'll be the new form letter that people receive :)

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hah...just Gord. Actually Gordon, but I go by Gord. Funny thing is when I first signed up to HTF I was rejected because Ron thought "Gord" was a nickname (I convinced him it's the name that appears on my pay stub at work).

GoRd

Mark To

Supporting Actor
They just don't realize that every third person in Canada is named Gordon (after Mr. Hockey).

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Mark, here's another update for you....

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1620

They've tracked down original masters for all the episodes except the pilot.

How happy does that make you to know that your thread complaining about them not caring to fix the episodes ended up delaying the set so they could track down the proper episodes and restore them?

Makes you feel good that complaining about something actually CAN make a difference in the product that is released, doesn't it?

Way to go Mark!

Gord

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show before, but I'm kinda tempted to buy it based on the effort Rhino is putting into it. I'm guessing the newer My Fav. Martian movie was based on it?

Randy_Cre

Agent
My Favorite Martian wasn't a big favorite of mine, its kind of on the "might buy" list for me.

But I really think Rhino deserves some applause for listening to consumers and fans of the show, and making the effort to do it "right." For huge fans of the show, I'm sure the wait, and maybe a little extra cost, will seem worth it when the re-mastered original cuts are available on DVD.

:emoji_thumbsup: to Rhino

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
ps... when they sold the first disk it was out of order and i told them they would not sell like that.
i told them they needed to make Season sets and keep them in order. they did with the color set on VHS.
witch i have. :D
im sure looking forword to the dvd box set release.
i want them all! :emoji_thumbsup:

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy this puppy in a second- much to the dismay of the husband who still doesn't understand my need to buy tv shows.

Miss Randi

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Rhino's efforts are very much appreciated. Were they to release just a bunch of 22-minute, chopped-up (or time-compressed prints), I just wouldn't be interested. As it stands, though, I'll be getting the set. The series was never a 'major' favorite of mine, but it was always breezy and likeable, and I look forward to seeing it again. I seem to recall the show getting better as the series progressed from season to season, with the last (color) season looking quite nice, production-wise.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bert,

I couldn't agree more with those sentiments of yours. I too look forward to this release!

Gary "this particular show is one of my very first childhood memories, as far as what I can remember watching with delight" O.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Please can someone help me with this. I dimly remember seeing MFM on Brit TV when I was a small kid. Did the Martian have TV aerials that came out of his head? Trouble is, that's all I can remember about it. I think I was more into Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5 in those days.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
In response to Rhino Home Video's request for a complete version of the pilot episode "My Favourite Martian" (27/09/1963) by the June 15th, 2004 finalization date apparently Columbia House was given an intact complete 25 minute copy for their MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN, The Collectors's Edition VHS subscription series by the show's tv syndication distributor Warner Brothers Home Entertainment so they can either get in touch with the company that leased this tv property to Rhino or contact Columbia House itself and confirm just who provided with them with their transfer masters.

If either of the two Home Theater Forum moderators are reading this discussion thread then get in touch with Rhino Home Entertainment about this vital information...REAL FAST!!!!!

And yes I think that MY FAVOURTIE MARTIAN (CBS 1963-66) really rocks and couldn't be happier to hear that it'll finally make it unto DVD at long last.

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks