MY FAIR LADY. Has Paramount any plans to release this?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by CULTMAN1, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1 Stunt Coordinator

Bruce Campbell
    This acknowledged classic I assume is currently owned by Paramount.

(If only Warner still owned the rights, this would be out by now on Blu)

Therefore does anyone know if there are any plans to release My Fair lady on Blu Ray?

Robert Harris restored this for 70mm back in 1993, so therefore I assume the elements are there to carry out this important release?

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I don't remember the exact details, but it's my understanding that the rights for this one are quite sorted. IIRC, CBS Films might actually hold the rights right now but I'm not 100 percent on that.

3. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I know that I read somewhere it was coming out this year because I already traded my regular DVD copy a few months ago in anticipation.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    CBS owns the copyright and has since 1971. Since the Viacom split, Paramount has had a "gentleman's agreement" with CBS to release their stuff. I'm guessing they'll be dipping into the Audrey Hepburn titles soon, as there's no more that they can possibly do with them on DVD.

5. Eerik

Eerik Stunt Coordinator

It seems that Paramount only wants to release one classic title on Blu-ray per year so when there is a discussion forum regarding classic films on Blu-ray or something like that they could defend themselves. Last year it was African Queen and this year it is The Ten Commandments.

6. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    CBS should just let Warner release it, after all it was Warner who filmed it

7. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

But CBS is the one that owns it. The poor judgment was with Jack Warner who agreed to a limited ownership of the film. Even in those days before home video there was some money to be made in television sales and theatrical re-releases.

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Where is this "poor judgment" by Mr. Warner? He wanted to produce the film, and made the best deal that he could. He won a Best Picture award for the studio, and decades later the studio made millions from a new license for home video. The best thing for the film, and toward a continuous and hefty income stream for all concerned, would have been for CBS / Viacom to extend the WB home video license. Millions more would already have come in.

There is no proper high quality HD master for the film, and a great deal of work needs to be performed toward a quality Blu-ray release.

RAH

9. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Harris
    There is no proper high quality HD master for the film, and a great deal of work needs to be performed toward a quality Blu-ray release.

RAH

Warner is very good about working to restore their films for Blu-ray. It would be great if they were to re-new the license.

Mr. Harris - There are better versions of Audrey Hepburns vocals floating around (and for all of the songs) . Could these be re-incorporated into the film as an alternate track?

10. CULTMAN1

Bruce Campbell
    Thank you for your informative reply. (we recently went to the BFI national Film Theater to see MFL and were disappointed by only seeing a 35mm print...slightly muddy..... I was under the impression the ACADEMY SCREEN ARHIVE had a decent 70mm print, but the BFI claimed it was already faded since your restoration in 1993!)

I hope one day Paramoun or whoevert will produce a decent HD Master as I am sure this would sell well on blu ray. A most informative update, thank you. Bruce Campbell

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Quote:

You've been misinformed. 1994 prints are not faded, and if they were running a 35 of the restoration, it should have been in no way "muddy." Sound like low amperage or a problem lamp house, unless it was a pre-1994 print.

RAH

12. CULTMAN1

Bruce Campbell
    points taken on board...

All I can add was when I was fortunate enough to see the 70mm restoration of MFL at the ABC Shaftsbury Avenue back in 1994 I do remember viewing an exemplary vibrant 70mm print- an absolute joy.

The print shown at the NFT did have the restoration credits at the end so I assume it was struck from the restored master around then. There were one or two splices where scenes were missing but the sound was tremendous.

BC

13. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Don't look for "My Fair Lady" any time soon As reported: CBS Films owning some of the rights but some of these elements will revert to the Lerner & Loewe estate later this year (2010) So Paramount may no longer hold the videio rights through CBS - unless a new deal is reached Plus, SONY is preparing a new film version with possible star Colin Firth

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    What! Is this for real? Boy, talk about a film with a high bar of excellence to achieve to be considered a success.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

the last I heard, the remake of My Fair Lady will have Hugh Grant and Carey Mulligan

16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Is Emma Thompson still writing the screenplay?

17. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Caps
    the last I heard, the remake of My Fair Lady will have Hugh Grant and Carey Mulligan

That was true until Colin won the Oscar. I hope Grant doesn't do it, he is one actor I never liked and he hasn't a hit in years

18. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I thought Keira Knightley was supposed to be in the remake? If it speeds up a Blu-ray release, then they can do with that remake what they want. Just let them hurry up, I want the original on Blu-ray .

19. Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings Supporting Actor

Everett
    Last week TCM showed it & on the end it said it was dist. by some small co. I never heard of. Why don't they remake something that turned out bad,like

Mame? Or one that has not been filmed! No matter how good this remake is it will not be liked. I saw MFL at the McArthur theatre in D.C. in 70mm but got

our money back as the lamp was too old.The manager said it was new. Anyway it was dark. We saw it at the Senator in balto.Md. when they got it. Great

showing as usual!

20. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Remember when they remade "The King and I" - as a cartoon.

Remakes of classic films usually don't make of an impact