What's new

"My Fair Lady" Blu-ray November 15th (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Garysb

Its funny that I wish they were producing a big box set for MFL. Not that I would want it, its just that I would think Paramount was making an event of this release. . It makes me think this is just a blu ray of the single disc DVD with little work done to it. Hope I am wrong, but this seems like the least hyped release of a classic motion picture on blu.

After the beautiful releases of "The Sound of Music" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" last fall you would think someone at Paramount would have wanted to do one just as good with "MFL" - but nothing like "The Ten Commandments" seems to be in the pipeline.

Though - "Once Upon a Time in the West" looked great and also had very little fanfare. Keeping the fingers crossed

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Ethan Riley said:
I did see Cheryl in the role. As I implied in an earlier post, she left almost zero impression on me. I dunno; I did see it on a Wednesday--maybe she was saving the good stuff for the weekend. But the audience only seemed to respond to Harrison and was generally polite to the rest of the cast. They all came to see Rex. So did I. I also recall nodding off for a few minutes in the middle of Act 2 lol
I agree with everything you've been saying about the revival. My saying Cheryl was the most competent of the three MFLadies was not to imply she had an ounce of star quality, something Hepburn had coming out of her pores (that face didn't hurt, either). On the other hand, I've seen many film legends (and actor heavyweights) get swallowed up on a stage or those I've met seem very prosaic relative to their screen personas. The biggest star of MFL for me is Lerner (with suitable acknowledgement to GBS). I'd still get a kick out of Alan Jay's ingenious lyrics were my neighbor to read them over the phone to me. Ditto for Camelot. I promised myself I'd wait for the reviews, but I bit the bullet in the wee hours of the morning and pre-ordered the blu on Amazon, if only to guard against an increase in price before release. I got stung with an increase on Man Who Would Be King by not jumping in when first announced.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Does anybody know whether Paramount has plans on rolling out the Blu-ray of "My Fair Lady" worldwide as quickly as they are with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (which is being released quite soon in the UK to the US street-date)?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by trajan

It would be sad if the transfer is from 35mm elements.

The problem is far less with the 35mm element, and more with corrections that can now be made. The 35 IP can yield a gorgeous Blu-ray.

RAH

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just placed my pre-order using the link above. Glad to help out the HTF. I'll bet the Amazon price will even drop a few dollars before release day, but if not it's still a pretty good deal at that price.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod

Have any reviews come out yet for this release? It comes out in two weeks.

I am tentatively scheduled to review this title, but the review copy has not arrived.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
MattH. said:
I am tentatively scheduled to review this title, but the review copy has not arrived.
Matt- If the news isn't good, please read this - carefully - before you decide to publish it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_messenger Signed: 'A friend'.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
we look forward very much to see if this blu ray lives up to Paramount's promise of a restoration. I have my doubts.... roll on your review

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The review disc did arrive today, but I'm in the midst of a pile of 3D Blu-ray sets which come out next week, so they get first priority. If I get a moment, I'll try to give it a quick look to see what I can see.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Please do. Let us hope it will a a good surprise, not the disappointment that the WEST SIDE STORY blu ray apparently is.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Matt, It's a 3 hour film, but if you could take ten minutes to view a few scenes so we can get an idea - that would be great (looks like yo will be the 1st to review)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks