What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Chuck Pennington said:
It was a test of the recently completed 4k restoration of MY FAIR LADY. They said that definitely. It was not just a test of a possible restoration.I also saw new 4K restorations of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI, and A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. I missed seeing DUEL so I could see PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET at the Egyptian.We heard a really cool sound demo involving Fox's STORMY WEATHER as well.
Your error was leaving to go to The Egyptian. You missed the latest digital 3D conversion tests -- Edison's The Sneeze, a sequence from The Patriot (1928), a short test from South Park, and Kiss Me Kate. Best to never leave one's seat at The Reel Thing.RAH

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
Your error was leaving to go to The Egyptian. You missed the latest digital 3D conversion tests -- Edison's The Sneeze, a sequence from The Patriot (1928), a short test from South Park, and Kiss Me Kate. Best to never leave one's seat at The Reel Thing.RAH
None of that was on the program, but I had never seen PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET before (loved it!) and I got to meet Sam Fuller's widow and daughter. It was very nice. :)I'd never been to LA before, and it was a Thurs-Sun thing. I'm still glad I got to the Egyptian, though I'm sure the stuff I missed was probably wonderful too.I didn't stay for WHITE DOG at the Egyptian as I was really tired by that point.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
lukejosephchung said:
If anyone were to try to keep a lid on this info and demonstration viewing after revealing it both at a bricks-and-mortar event AND its official website, I'd be wondering about the reasoning behind it, especially since the OP who delivered the news on this thread is a non-industry attendee at the viewing...if non-disclosure of this news was the intent, the event organizers and CBS' representatives did a piss-poor job of it...regardless of their intent, the cat's definitely out of the bag!!!
and you wouldn't issue a press release that has a link to a site with the information included.http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/article/The-Reel-Thing-Film-Restoration-and-Preservation-Symposium-Slated-for-August-21---23-in-Hollywood-3453917

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Chuck Pennington said:
I'm not in the industry, and I was there.
Am I the only one getting "Eyes Wide Shut" flashbacks right now? I'm alluding to the scene where Cruise infiltrated into the orgastic ceremony. :)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
No, they are not the reason this got out, sorry to tell you. Why? Because NO ONE searched, and even IF they searched, no one came up with that website, and therefore NO ONE posted here asking the question, "Is there a new 4K scan coming?" That at least would have been a QUESTION. I understand what the World Wide Web is just as you understand the real point here - which is simple and stated by both Mr. Harris and myself. I'm sure you've read the blurb by now, too, so you know what that says. There was no question posed in this thread - there was only someone attending an industry event who within a short time of having attended it and despite the admonition that CBS was not ready to announce anything came directly here and announced it. Until that time, no one had searched for what you are saying, come up with that site, and then posted here. It's pretty simple and no amount of dancing around it is going to have anyone come to any other conclusion.
I have no opinion at all about this 'leak'.

However, knowing how often I've googled 'a matter of life and death blu-ray' over the past 5 years, I doubt very much that a large number of googles for 'my fair lady 4k' haven't been made.

I also doubt very much that, having found that link, everyone who read it decided not to post the information due to it being 'secret'.

Steve W

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yorkshire said:
I have no opinion at all about this 'leak'.

However, knowing how often I've googled 'a matter of life and death blu-ray' over the past 5 years, I doubt very much that a large number of googles for 'my fair lady 4k' haven't been made.

I also doubt very much that, having found that link, everyone who read it decided not to post the information due to it being 'secret'.

Steve W
Googlers are getting failing grades.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
If anybody has any leaks on these 65mm films, be my guest.----STAR!---DOCTOR DOLITTLE---RYANS DAUGHTER.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yorkshire said:

Steve W
Put My Fair Lady 4K restoration into the browser and Home Theater Forum is now second on the Google results.
Robert Harris said:
Googlers are getting failing grades.
That's probably due to the Roseanne Barr nude pics out there in Google land.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
"Then the criticism began... verging on vitriol and pontificating (At least to me. Perhaps I am too sensitive.)"

You're not too sensitive. The criticism made by at least one person can definitely be categorized as you did."I had already seen the page on the internet about the event that took place on the weekend when I googled another movie after reading something on another site. Didn't think it was a big deal and didn't post anything about it since I figured if I saw it...everyone has. The fact that it was an event that anyone could buy admittance too also takes it out of the secret category. Still don't get the big to do."

It's only a "to-do" in the minds of a small minority of contributors to this thread, especially one contributor in particular.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Haineshisway, I know you were never going to be the one to post about this. What I wrote was, "My understanding is that at least one of the contributors to this thread is upset by the original post only because he (the later contributor) wasn't the first one to post the info, but just HAD to make it clear to everyone else that he already had the info and declined to post it only because it would have been 'bad form.'"

I think that's a very plain statement with no room for misunderstanding, but to clarify further: You say you knew about the MFL restoration but didn't post about it because it would have been "bad form" to do so. (I completely disagree, under the circumstances.). But when someone else posted about it, you felt it necessary to scold that person and to let everyone know that you already had the info, even though you didn't post it.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
To clarify further, Haineshisway: Perhaps when you first heard about the MFL restoration, at that point there was no information about it on the web. Also, obviously, at that point it had not been discussed at THE REEL THING event, which was open not only to industry personnel but to anyone who wanted to pay the fee to attend, and at which there was apparently no request made that the information given during the event not be disclosed to the public. Under those circumstances, it might have been considered bad form for you have to disclosed the information here (or anywhere else) at that time, but I can't understand how anyone can think it bad form for the OP to have disclosed it after it appeared on the website and after the actual event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks