What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
If anyone were to try to keep a lid on this info and demonstration viewing after revealing it both at a bricks-and-mortar event AND its official website, I'd be wondering about the reasoning behind it, especially since the OP who delivered the news on this thread is a non-industry attendee at the viewing...if non-disclosure of this news was the intent, the event organizers and CBS' representatives did a piss-poor job of it...regardless of their intent, the cat's definitely out of the bag!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, the only thing that dampens me about this "news" is that from now until the possible blu release (which could be years in the making), there will be constant whining: "Where is it already?" "We're tired of waiting!" "They promised it to us five years ago!", "Why are they releasing junk like Fill In The Blank when the restored My Fair Lady isn't out yet?" etc. It will be Raintree County all over again!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Thomas T said:
Well, the only thing that dampens me about this "news" is that from now until the possible blu release (which could be years in the making), there will be constant whining: "Where is it already?" "We're tired of waiting!" "They promised it to us five years ago!", "Why are they releasing junk like Fill In The Blank when the restored My Fair Lady isn't out yet?" etc. It will be Raintree County all over again!
I know! I can't wait!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Thomas T said:
I disagree...CBS would not have allowed themselves to go public with this information if they weren't planning to use this newly-minted 4k scan commercially, whether as a theatrical reissue or a possible 50th anniversary blu-ray release, IMO...the current blu-ray has been available in retail outlets for 3 years as of next month...given that CBS now has THIS to present to audiences both theatrically and at video stores, I seriously doubt they'll sit on it for very long...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An interesting thread.Here's what I take away from it.At an industry event, of which I was aware, but did not know was open to the public, hence my initial response, 4k test scans were screened of both Lawrence and MFL. I was aware that a bit of El Aurens was being run. I was surprised that MFL was included.These tests were designed to demonstrate what 4k data files derived from 8k scans of 65mm test elements could look like, when recorded back to film using a rather archaic process, ie a CRT.Although a member of the secret brotherhood, and we'll versed in the handshake, I did not attend. Late today I was able to discuss the event with the presenter, and was brought up to speed. The problem is that while the tests might have looked a bit better if a new 65mm laser recorder were to be produced, the cost of its creation would far outreach the benefits. Such is the cruel world linking our analogue past with a digital future and 65mm filmmaking.The excitement never ends.RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
I disagree...CBS would not have allowed themselves to go public with this information if they weren't planning to use this newly-minted 4k scan commercially, whether as a theatrical reissue or a possible 50th anniversary blu-ray release, IMO...the current blu-ray has been available in retail outlets for 3 years as of next month...given that CBS now has THIS to present to audiences both theatrically and at video stores, I seriously doubt they'll sit on it for very long...
Well, I'd hardly say CBS went "public" since they made no statement about a forthcoming blu release. Merely that a 4K transfer is being worked on. I'm sure if CBS had realized the Maenad frenzy it would cause at the HTF, they would have thought better of it! The fact that there is a blu of MFL already out and for much of the average public (as opposed to the HD devotees) it's good enough and while physical media loses more ground each year to downloading and streaming, there's no guarantee it's on the fast track.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
People on this Forum and fans of the movie "Raintree County" have been lobbying actively for YEARS for a proper blu-ray release of THAT film and are STILL waiting for news of any restorative efforts by Warner...CBS comes out with definite concrete evidence at an industry event of a 4k scan of "My Fair Lady" and people are saying they'll stonewall it the way Warner has "Raintree County"...I fail to see the logic of this...

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
The problem is that while the tests might have looked a bit better if a new 65mm laser recorder were to be produced, the cost of its creation would far outreach the benefits.Such is the cruel world linking our analogue past with a digital future and 65mm filmmaking.The excitement never ends.RAH
So doesn't this mean that whatever OP saw, he didn't understand that it was just a test of a process and not a particular film and so will very likely not lead ultimately to a new MFL blu-ray?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Aw, too bad if it's just a demo. I've been kind of holding off until a better MFL disc drops.Hopes are up, though. Because one of these days, being a member of Home Theater Forum will pay off when the identity of John F. Kennedy's true assassin is inadvertently leaked during a pre-screening event for Hunger Games: Mockingjay.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Tom Logan said:
So doesn't this mean that whatever OP saw, he didn't understand that it was just a test of a process and not a particular film and so will very likely not lead ultimately to a new MFL blu-ray?
It was a test of the recently completed 4k restoration of MY FAIR LADY. They said that definitely. It was not just a test of a possible restoration.I also saw new 4K restorations of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI, and A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. I missed seeing DUEL so I could see PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET at the Egyptian.We heard a really cool sound demo involving Fox's STORMY WEATHER as well.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Chuck Pennington said:
It was a test of the recently completed 4k restoration of MY FAIR LADY. They said that definitely. It was not just a test of a possible restoration.I also saw new 4K restorations of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI, and A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. I missed seeing DUEL so I could see PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET at the Egyptian.We heard a really cool sound demo involving Fox's STORMY WEATHER as well.
What was the aspect ratio?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
...These tests were designed to demonstrate what 4k data files derived from 8k scans of 65mm test elements could look like, when recorded back to film using a rather archaic process, ie a CRT....The problem is that while the tests might have looked a bit better if a new 65mm laser recorder were to be produced, the cost of its creation would far outreach the benefits....RAH
A little off-topic perhaps, but what do they use to film-out digital effects shots in 15-perf 65mm IMAX format? Or IMAX DMR blow-ups of 35mm films for that matter? Is it the CRT recorder?

Vincent

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Michael1 said:
"Of course a few of you don't consider it bad form. That's entitlement, and I understand that's the world we live in."
And my understanding is that at least one of the contributors to this thread is upset by the original post only because he (the later contributor) wasn't the first one to post the info, but just HAD to make it clear to everyone else that he already had the info and declined to post it only because it would have been "bad form."

"A few of us happen to disagree and did find it bad form for the reasons we've so clearly stated."

In my opinion, some of us have our own special definitions of "bad form" that applies only to others and not to themselves.

"I doubt anyone at anytime would have happened on that website or bothered to look at it if they had."

As far as I'm concerned, this is a nonsensical argument, especially in reference to the subset of people who follow the Home Theater Forum.

"And an announcement was made at the event that CBS was not ready to announce this yet - what else do you need to hear at an industry event?"

The OP didn't "announce" anything. One could argue that his use of the word "definitely" in his statement that a new Blu-Ray and/or theatrical release are "definitely coming" was not the best choice in this case. But as others have noted, the idea that this new restoration is happening WITHOUT plans for another HD release (and possibly theatrical release) strains credulity beyond all bounds. Because, as others have also noted, the only other reason for a new restoration without plans for a home video or theatrical reissue would be for purely archival purposes, and things just don't happen that way anymore.
Despite your attempt to goad, I shall not play with you. One person's "nonsensical" argument is another's logical argument. That's usually how it works in the world I live in. I was never going to be the one to post about this first, so your attempt at saying that as a definitive is both insulting and purposely inflammatory. Bravo. When an announcement is made I would, of course, have posted then in response to it, and I will do so when that happens. But why am I telling you this when it's all so very obvious.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
There can be no disputing the fact that last BD release of MFL was in very bad form.

MFL.jpg

MFL2.jpg

Better to have cropped off the ugly brown edges.

Hopefully, this will be corrected before I shed this mortal coil.

Please continue this Illuminating discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks