What's new

My Electronics -your thought- (1 Viewer)

Chris_Krama

Auditioning
I am hoping you all can help with my electronics (Prices Include shipping and tax)Is there something better in the prices range i should got?

Projector = Infocus SP5000 $1599.00
Receiver = Sony STR-DE897B $272.91
DVD Changer = Sony DVP-CX985V (400) $307.15
Speakers = Sony SA-VE367T 7.1 (8) $206.47
Misc = Speaker wires and cables $200.00
Total $2585.53

The room is not divided yet so I can go 18 x what ever a good size would be. There is no windows in the back for about 27’ (so 27 x 18 is as big as I can go)
The Speakers I have chosen are not that great but will do for now.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Yes don't get 7.1 Use the extra cash and get something a bit nicer than those sony speakers. I would probably try upping your budget a bit and going with some infinity primus bookshelves. I think they are about $70 a pair now or so.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I would also limit my budget for speaker wire to $15. And then buy the radioshack brand interconnects.

In addition I'd go with a single disk DVD player, and put the extra money into speakers (also the leftover cable money). You decided on a very nice projector, but a pretty mediocre sound system.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Ryan pretty much tapped what I think about starting out in home theater or getting a more complete system and that is "START" at a "starter" level that fits your budget now and do like me and many others and upgrade your various components over time as budget permits. Get up and running and enjoy the system for awhile and you'll discover on your own what needs improvement. Heck I started out with a couple of home theater in a box systems back in the Pro-Logic days that didn't even have subwoofers. I just used my 20" television at the time. However, slowly but surely over the years I added subwoofers, got better and better speakers all around (in my opinion), got bigger and bigger televisions, added DVD when it came out, etc., etc.
If I was starting out like you and was going to use a projector, which I think is awesome, I would probably do the same as you and spend more on the projector starting out but everyone has their own priorities and budget flexibility to take into consideration.

P.S. I'm also with Garrett on the whole speaker wire and interconnects thing: going inexpensive doesn't have to mean cheap and in my opinion you can spend too much - stores will be happy to sell it to you anyway.

John S

Senior HTF Member
No sub??? Look into the Onkyo 770 system, for a great performing more budget oriented syste. 10" Sub included.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Here's my take:
Change the DVD player, get an upscaling player maybe the Samsung 950 (w/DVD Audio capability) or Zenith DVB318 to get the best picture and save money for speakers and a sub. The Zenith is going for 169 at Amazon (I think). It might be the best idea to focus your attention on your sound via better speakers and a sub. Currently you have 700.00 speakers, wire and a player that could assist you in getting a decent speaker set up. Audio Advisor has some great speakers and 7.1 though would be nice, is not absolutely necessary. 7.1 will probably sound best with a higher end receiver like Harman Kardon or even the higher end Sony. If you are not getting the high end receiver now then focus on speakers and a sub with a 5.1 setup.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Looking at Ryan's post with those speakers from Best Buy or Onecall is a very good choice. 4 if I'm correct will cost you about 300.00 that will allow you to get a sub. I assure you it will sound far better than the current set up you are considering and there's nothing like having your sound go with the video which can be great.

Mitchel_K

Auditioning
If this dude wants to get a 400 disk dvd changer he probably has a good reason. Don't go recommending a single disk player to someone who wants a 400 disk changer. If I said I wanted a Vidikron Vision model 100 to project onto a 160" screen, I wouldn't want people recommending I buy a 27" tube tv. It's not even in the same class.
~Sy

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, the reason I made the suggestion, is the first sentence in his post
To me, that sound like he want advice on all his equipment as posted. I see nothing wrong with my suggestion, of course if Chris really wants a 400 disc player maybe he could wait for the new Sony that I think does 400 DVDs and upscales to 1080i. But, my suggestion IMHO might give him (stress on might) quality picture and free up some funds for better sound including a sub which he is lacking.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I agree on the no sub thing... The Sub has maybe the largest impact on Home Theater sound.

Chris_Krama

Auditioning
Im i missing something the Sony SA-VE367T 7.1 comes with a 135w powdered sub, or im i mistaken.

I have also going to go with the Sony STR-DE997B cause of the up-coverison less cables i have to run.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ok.. I can't read. It does look like a full speaker package w/sub. I dunno where I was going with that.

best of luck

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

It does, but it sucks and you won't be happy with the purchase. (I'm not even using my Psychic Friends network on that prediction).

Chris_Krama

Auditioning
So as i can see the only thing that sucks with my electronics is the speaker system? I knew from the start that it was not the best set, but that will make my wife happy (2500.00) and i can also get new speakers 2 @ a time in the future.

Thanks to everyone how has helped me....;)

Chris_Krama

Auditioning
Garrett Lundy,

ADVERSARY: Jedi - expert swordsmen. Weapon effective range: +/- two meters

OUR WEAPONRY: Blasters - effective range: +/- one thousand meters

STRATEGY: Stand one meter away from adversary.

Your strategy should be to stand 3 meters away form your adversary, standing 1 or even 2 meters gives him a chance to hit you....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Obviously you've never seen a Star Wars movie :)

[BenStein]The joke is a refrence to combat inability of the battle droids of the Star Wars universe. Despite using energy-projectile weapons with a virtually unlimited effective range, the droids always advance to within a few feet of the jedi before using their weapons.[/BenStein]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks