What's new

My dog is a subwoofer... (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
not dogg digital, the white van scam, but my actual dog is a subwoofer. he's a 100lb Alaskan Malamute who can put out i think a 10Hz bass tone. he's huge but has tons of energy, kinda like the hulk. anyways, sometimes he like to shake off, just like when dogs get wet, but he does it a lot when he's not wet. i just realized it this morning when he did it as i was getting ready only a foot or two away from me, and i felt really low volume, low bass. does this make since. his hair is around 2in long in all places, which i think could make him sorta like that phoenix gold fan sub they came out with a few years back. i just wish he could do it in sync with movies!

eric

EdNichols

Second Unit
If you can train him to bark at 10 hz. on command then you can sit on him during movies and have a cheap bass shaker!!! :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have 3 cats that might be more useful for high frequency effects, and with 3 of them, I can get a three dimensional sound field. But getting them all in phase seems to be a problem. :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
:D Cute thread.

I'm a car audio nut...less now than in previous years. Now all my money goes to HT. :rolleyes:But I DO remember that Phoenix Gold "fan sub". Looked like the drum out of a washing machine. :)

terence

Supporting Actor
I find my self paying more attention to sounds when I’m out and about, to see just how accurate the sound guys are when mixing DVD soundtracks. Well they are dead on the newer DVD's, try it out. 18 wheelers, planes, street traffic, background noise, all sound like they do when watching movies lately. There is a rock quarry near by and when they are doing heavy blasting (very rare) you can hear and feel it, sometimes shakes the house a tad. So the sound engineer’s are pretty close to the real thing.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I'm with FeisalK. However, if you are stuck on dogs, and have no room for cats in the budget, I might suggest getting a smaller dog to cover the upper frequencies. Something along the lines of a poodle or a small terrier should compliment your existing Malamute nicelly.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I "listen" to soundtracks too. Can anyone else sometimes tell how bad a remix is from older 1.0 or 2.0 soundtracks to 5.1? Saw (listened) to one maybe 6 weeks ago that just made me cringe. Usually the panning is over the top.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i also have a smaller 20lb mutt. i sorta have 2.1 stereo right now, but the little guy gets tired running back and forth barking the left and right channels! lol! when my mal is not shaking a steady 10Hz tone, he also growls from 20Hz-80Hz and then howls up to around the crossover for my little dog at around 500Hz.

eric

Bart

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just catching up on my HTF reading and I think this is the funniest thing I've ever heard in this forum:

"However, if you are stuck on dogs, and have no room for cats in the budget, I might suggest getting a smaller dog to cover the upper frequencies. Something along the lines of a poodle or a small terrier should compliment your existing Malamute nicely."

Thanks for the laughs, Steve!

Bart

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I had that subwoofer. It was a Phoenix Gold Cyclone. I had 3 actually, and I still got pictures if anyone wants to see them, PM me.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i also thought it was the funniest thing once i realized it. i so wish one of you guys could be here when he does it. i swear i'm going to put a RS meter to him and get some readings. Jess, how'd those subs sound? i wonder why they discontinued it?

eric

Luis M

Second Unit
"Personally, I've found that a canary makes a better tweeter, but that's just my opinion."

How about the wife?......Mine

John_V

Agent

If my dog had a sealed enclosure, I'd never need to let him outside!
;)

More good dog/subwoofer jokes, please!

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I think they discontinued them due to lack of sales.... They sounded really good, just not extremely loud. The sensitivity was horrible, if I recall...
They were common on the Sound Quality circut, as they were VERY accurate.

Id pick one up if I was to get a good enough deal on it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks