What's new

My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 (1 Viewer)

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
Brightness pops settle down when the set ages. I don't really notice it much anymore, maybe my eyes got used to it or panel aging brings benefits, maybe firmware helped, who knows, it's a pity plasma is no more, it's only real negative was image retention, my set is rare in that it doesn't have that but OLED does have it, indeed any LG OLED owners should be aware that noise reduction is applied by default even when you think you have it switched off, that's very poor on LG's part and mimics some past Samsung blu ray players which do likewise.
They didn't on my Samsung plasma, I had many hours on it to, probably your just so used to it now, I may have gone for a Samsung led Infact I almost did, the 60" H7500 but I hear they still suffer with motion skipping.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
They didn't on my Samsung plasma, I had many hours on it to, probably your just so used to it now, I may have gone for a Samsung led Infact I almost did, the 60" H7500 but I hear they still suffer with motion skipping.
The funny thing is there was great firmware that i thought improved things no end but unfortunately i always upgrade it and the next firmware after that one didn't seem as good, i remember telling you this at HDTV Test forum, i do hardly notice brightness pops now, i have been limiting the hours on it during the summer, i don't want your pink snow on my set.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
The funny thing is there was great firmware that i thought improved things no end but unfortunately i always upgrade it and the next firmware after that one didn't seem as good, i remember telling you this at HDTV Test forum, i do hardly notice brightness pops now, i have been limiting the hours on it during the summer, i don't want your pink snow on my set.
Ahh the 'red mist' !, nasty business that was. Yes I remember well, we had one for the D6900 which robbed light output and it was a long time before another f/w re established it again.

AlaskanAVGuy

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Funny thing.....

The other day my nieces wanted to watch the Lego Movie that I had only purchased in 3D thru ebay. But being that the kids were all under 5 I didn't want them to ruin my 3D glasses not to mention they wouldn't fit very well.

But then I remember once seeing an option on the Samsung F8500 under the 3D setting which would allow me to convert my 3D Bluray to 2D called 3D to 2D. And I must report back that it works perfectly converting a 3D movie into a 2D one.

So now I think i'm gonna save some money and just buy in 3D only because I can buy them much cheaper after the orginal owner takes their 2D copies out and sells the 3D by itself.

Plus an added bonus is that now less people will be able to borrow my Blu-rays because they'll all be in 3D and I won't have to worry about people who treat them like crap and scratch them. Sometime I feel like a blockbuster video store with friends wanting to borrow my 500 or so blu ray collection all the time. I'm sure some of you can relate.

Anyways I thought it was an interesting feature on the F8500 that at first I thought was totally useless and now it serves a great purpose.

PS: Anyone that has time to upgrade to the newest Firmware 1200 from an older FW Version notice any improvements yet with their current settings.....I still haven't noticed any fixes from 1119.1 and Samsung.com doesn't have a clue yet either...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Didn't know Samsung had a reverse feature where you can convert 3D to 2D.

That's kind of cool and it served your purpose perfectly.

I haven't upgraded my firmware. Always afraid to do it. I think I am still on 1118.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Ronald Epstein said:
Didn't know Samsung had a reverse feature where you can convert 3D to 2D. That's kind of cool and it served your purpose perfectly. I haven't upgraded my firmware. Always afraid to do it. I think I am still on 1118.
I always say if your happy with your displays PQ don't upgrade the F/W, trouble is I can't take my own advice and curiosity gets the better of me..

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Reed Grele said:
My 4 Panny plasmas will probably outlast me! :)
My Panny ST30 is the best TV I've ever owned or seen. And the 2007 model that preceded it is in my sons room and still looks better than any LED or LCD I've seen at friends or relatives. I'll keep the ST30 til it dies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I keep wondering if I should get my Kuro 5020 upgraded to the Elite motherboard and/or calibrated...assuming it's not too late for that. I imagine parts are scarce if not exhausted.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I don't know if you noticed, but I bought a 60" F8500 last week and will have it in about 3-4 days. Can you give me any advice as far settings?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I use

Mode = Movie
Cell Light = 15
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 46
Sharpness = 10
Color = 50
Tint = 50/50
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Black Tone = Off
Flesh Tone = 0
RGB Only = Off
Color Space = Auto
2p White Balance = Default
10p White Balance = Off
Gamma = 0
Color Tone = Warm1
Digital Clean = 0
MPEG noise removal = 0
Motion Judder Cancel = Off
Cinema Smooth = Auto2/On
Black Optimizer = Dark Room

Technically, Warm2 is the closest to 6500k, but it has a yellow push when not properly calibrated. Whites end up looking beige instead of white. I've tried various settings from AVS forums and other outlets, but none seem to effectively get rid of it. The white balance needs to be properly calibrated for Warm2 to look right.

Using Warm1, the whites look white, but not bluish white like Standard and Cool do.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
Ron,

I don't know if you noticed, but I bought a 60" F8500 last week and will have it in about 3-4 days. Can you give me any advice as far settings?
Robert can I recommend a pro calibration. It will be far better than copying settings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
Robert can I recommend a pro calibration. It will be far better than copying settings.
No offense, but I'm no rookie. Over the years, I had my displays professionally calibrated so that's not what I'm talking about here. However, I am talking about out of the box settings during the display's initial breaking in period.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Samsung just approved the final close-out price reduction on 51" and 60" F8500s.

We're allocated for our very last shipment the end of this week. Tell friends and family; supply is limited so act fast if you want one.

[*]PN51F8500 $999

[*]PN60F8500 $1,499
[/list]64" F8500 are still available and are also very limited, no further price change on the 64" so they are selling out at $2,498.

-Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert_Zohn said:
Samsung just approved the final close-out price reduction on 51" and 60" F8500s.

We're allocated for our very last shipment the end of this week. Tell friends and family; supply is limited so act fast if you want one.

[*]PN51F8500 $999

[*]PN60F8500 $1,499
[/list]64" F8500 are still available and are also very limited, no further price change on the 64" so they are selling out at $2,498.

-Robert
That's a great price, it beats my purchase price by $200. People that want a plasma need to jump all over it.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
No offense, but I'm no rookie. Over the years, I had my displays professionally calibrated so that's not what I'm talking about here. However, I am talking about out of the box settings during the display's initial breaking in period.
No offence taken Robert. I would maybe set to Cinema and Warm 2 and get hold of the Spears & Munsil disk and use that to set Brightness, Contrast etc and not worry to much about initial run in. just enjoy what is a fantastic TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks