What's new

My conversation with Warner Archives regarding THE SATAN BUG m.o.d. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Looks like the Warner Archives are now carrying a bunch of the MOD's that were available only through other channels like Screen Archives before, and that now includes THE SATAN BUG. Everyone looking at this post is probably already aware of the fact that this Sony/MGM transfer is one of the worst in DVD history (along with a few other MGM releases, like JEAN DE FLORETTE and EXODUS). The cover art displayed on the Archives site exactly matches the old release, so there is no reason to believe there has been any upgrade. I contacted the Archives by phone and spoke to Colin, and explained that this title was unworthy of being sold on their site, and suggested they just have an executive watch a copy of it on any t.v. larger than about 13" so he or she could see all of the aliasing and combing and other horrible distortions, and realize it certainly ain't worth $19.95 (nor, for my money, even a dollar). Colin actually called me back the following day (which was pretty cool, actually) to tell me there had been no complaints about the disc from anyone but me, but I suggested that was because they only just started to carry it for sale.... give it time! Colin promised he would get my message to the appropriate people and perhaps put a little pressure on MGM to do a new transfer -- how hard could that be? There really do seem to be quite a few of us who would like to purchase a decent-looking DVD of this suspense classic. I doubt it will come to anything, but I tried,

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And thanks for your efforts! I was a teenager when I first saw the movie, and it made an indelible impression on me. I realize its flaws now, but it's still a movie capable of generating very fine entertainment. It certainly deserves more loving care and attention than it has been given with the shoddy MGM MOD release now available.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Good for you, but of course, the problem is that it's an MGM product which the Archive are only selling as a third party. Unlike the Archive discs from Warner, where they are Warner products sold by Warner. Ultimately they can only have as much infuence over MGM discs as, say, Amazon might though I guess they could threaten to end the partnership selling if the products are bringing the Archive into disrepute. I doubt that's going to happen though. It's a great shame because The Satan Bug is quite visual, espescially the opening scenes of the desert around Station Three.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
MGM HD showed a beautiful HD print when they aired it on their channel last month! Funny they haven't released anything on BD that they've shown on their HD channel.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for your efforts Dick! I also enjoy this film and would buy the DVD-R so long as a better print was used.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Richard Kaufman said:
I've got the laser disc of The Satan Bug (always was a Richard Basehart fan) and it looks pretty good when upconverted.
There was a laserdisc on this?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Richard Kaufman said:
There are lasers on a lot of things that haven't made it to DVD.
I know that - I wish there was a database someplace listing all films released on LD not on DVD

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
DeWilson said:
I wish there was a database someplace listing all films released on LD not on DVD
There's this: http://dadons-laserdiscs.com/not-on-dvd Not sure how up to date it is, though.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I've got the laser disc of The Satan Bug (always was a Richard Basehart fan) and it looks pretty good when upconverted.
How is it that it made it to laser disc and never to (pressed) dvd??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks