What's new

My Bloody Valentine Special Edition Coming From Lionsgate, But... (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to be a jerk but they couldn't have made a major change like that in the 3 weeks since this news hit the internet. Like Michael said, the initial news was just wrong. On the plus side, I'm sure that this helped reinforce to LG that fans want uncut versions of movies so hopefully they made note for any future horror releases they put out.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

No, sure Travis that could very well be, however you're not the one who writes at times with a smug, stuffy and contemptuous attitude towards others. Clearly only an insecure person would feel the need to do so. To make such a know it all statement after the fact merely reinforces that.

And amazing MBV news that's thoroughly made my weekend.

It would be interesting to see the numbers this sells, especially once news spreads across the net. Already pre-ordered mine!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My apologies Simon. I certainly wasn't meaning to come off as that but if that's how you took it then I'll stand up and apologize.

I'm sorry but it just boils my blood (as it does yours I'm sure) when "sources" come out of no where and a wild fire breaks out because this source is no one other than a teenager answering e-mails for a studio. It's very hard to get in contact with people at Lionsgate and those answering their e-mails certainly don't know what the hell they're talking about. I'm sure you remember but these e-mail repliers also said that FRIGHT NIGHT 2 was going to be 2.35:1 and that AIP stuff was going to be OAR. They just aren't very reliable as their "work sheets" are usually full of errors.

As I said, apparently this release is done and the check discs are being completed. I doubt LG will allow reviewers to "speak out" regarding a check disc but certain people should know for certain within the next few weeks. A lot of issues could still happen when it comes time to put this on an actual disc so people still shouldn't get too worked up. Some big shot could see that the "added" footage doesn't look as good as the rest of the footage and have it resorted back to being an extra. Some asshole CEO at BB might get offended by the gore, refuse to stock it and then demand the alternate cut. Sound crazy? It's some of the bullshit studios deal with.

Even after viewing the check disc I still wouldn't get too happy until the official press release. However, as I said earlier, knowing what the producer told me years ago it would be downright shocking that the film wasn't released 100% uncut.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
Well regardless of sources' credibility (hey, at least 'Shock' isn't as unreliable as BloodyDisgusting) the news, whether false or true caused horror fans to set aside petty differences and band together for a cause that they truly believed in...even if it seemed like an uphill battle.

I'm not calling Michael Elliott a liar, but if there was wrong information, it came from within Lionsgate as well. A Lionsgate rep sent me this reply during the e-mail campaign that stated...

"Dear Consumer,

Thank you for contacting the LIONSGATE customer Service Department.
From what I've been told we were unable to make an uncut version of this movie for the release.

The Special Edition will include uncut scenes, but it will be separate from the movie itself.

We are very excited to be able to share with you the Special Edition and hope you enjoy the extra features.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and patronage to LIONSGATE films!

-Lionsgate Ent"

I'm sure others got this same response. So, either there was bad information within the company or it was never their original intention to include the uncut version in this release. Whatever the case, Lionsgate didn't go to great lengths to quiet fan concerns during the campaign. A simple "The Shock-Till-You-Drop story was incorrect and we ARE releasing the uncut version on the disc" response would've killed the e-mail campaign cold and we'd all have began celebrating a lot sooner than we are now.

And again, if nothing else, the e-mail campaign was able to reinforce to Lionsgate that fans want the films released correctly and not just a third, fourth, or fifth double-dip of the same disc. Thanks goes out to Lionsgate for either doing the right thing from the start or for listening to the fans. Thanks also goes out to everyone who cared enough to send an e-mail to Lionsgate. I hope we'll all now send an e-mail thanking them for doing My Bloody Valentine right.

I am now ready to make my pre-order of My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition. :D

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
For those who have been waiting to see/hear something more official on the matter, here you go...

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/nextraim...ne-confirm.jpg

Pre-order, made.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Hmmmm...it says you can watch the deleted scenes either separately or as part of the film. I hope their seamless branching works seamlessly...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think seamless branching will be involved here. If it had both the R rated and unrated cuts, it would most likely be done via seamless branching. It seems like the footage will be available either as a feature and in the movie itself.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The check discs were mailed out and received already. No extras on there but the official release should be out very soon.

The press release just mentions the extras and uncut footage remastered from the original negative. There's no word on how they're being handled.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Lionsgate have sent The Digital Bits the following info.

"In a bit of nifty release news today, our friends over at Lionsgate have sent us details on another sweet little vanity DVD title that's due to street just time to break the hearts of lovers everywhere... and rip them to shreds! Yes, the studio will deliver an über-cool My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition on DVD on 1/13/09. The film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, and extras will include deleted footage with introductions by the director, cast members and the special effects designer, the ability to watch the deleted footage incorporated back into the film (via seamless branching), the Bloodlust: My Bloody Valentine and Rise of the Slasher Film featurettes, and the Bloodlines: An Interactive Horror Film History."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I was about to post the same thing. I guess they want to have both the R and unrated cuts on there (which is nice for completeness sake) but unless the uncut footage is nearly unwatchable, I can't see myself ever really wanting to view the R rated cut again.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Don't take this as official news but there's more than just cut gore. Some might end up prefering the original theatrical cut. I can't remember the theatrical cut since I haven't watched it in so long and I can't compare it to basically a workprint.

MattFini

Supporting Actor

I'm cool with that. I've got my old Paramount DVD handy should I, for some reason, find the new cut unacceptable.

MBV is easily one of my favorite slasher flicks and I'll be thrilled with this new edition no matter what.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
So in other words, the additional footage is rough workprint quality?

Seeing as LG haven't splashed 'Uncut Version' across the cover I thought they might SB the footage rather than restore and strike a new uncut master. Hey, at least we'll have the option to watch it as the director originally intended dialogue & gore wise.

Well not long to go...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Guys, I got to view a check disc, which is why I can't give any full details. The added scenes are longer than just mild gore shots but I can't say anything because, as a check disc, these might not end up on the final disc. It also comes off like a workprint so I couldn't tell you a complete running time or how both versions are going to be done. As of today Lionsgate still hasn't got an official release for me to post here. They've sent out information for screeners and a sales sheet but their main site for reviewers still don't mention the disc being released. Releases are usually up a month or two before street date so I'm rather curious as to why nothing has been released.

I've got a free ticket to the remake but not one word on the final disc of the original. Usually we get menu shots, previews of extras and so on but right now there's nothing.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I've always been under the assumption that any 'deleted scenes' were scenes cut by the producer/director/editor by choice prior to the original release because they felt those scenes weren't important or slowed down the film. Personally, I'd rather watch those scenes separately and not in the actual film. There's a reason why an editor edits and if those deleted scenes are just padding, watch them as extras instead.

The question is, will the print that LG uses without those superfluous cut scenes added back in include the uncut gore scenes that the MPAA forced cuts to? I think most fans would prefer simply the original Paramount cut with the uncensored MPAA gore scenes intact, not some seamless-branching version with padded scenes that the filmmakers wanted cut out during its original edit. Hopefully, the MPAA censored footage will be intact in both versions.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
This is a bit disappointing if true. Anyone who is familiar with Anchor Bay's laborious "director's cut" of Deep Red can attest, needless deleted scenes added back into a film can prove to be a frustrating way to experience it.

Just curious, Michael...I'd never heard the term "check disc" before this thread. For clarification and those who aren't familiar...what is a "check disc" and what is the purpose for studios sending them out?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess the best way to put it is a check disc is something like a proof reader is to a book. Someone just needs to make sure there aren't any issues before the disc goes to the lab to get made. Different titles are treated differently as some are complete (full movie, menus, extras) and others might just be the movie or just the extras. Some might just be the menus to make sure you can select "extras" and get to the extra menu. I got my ass kicked once because I reviewed one of these check discs not really knowing what it was and it turned out that nothing I reviewed ended up being on the final version of the disc. That's why I'm worried about saying too much since I haven't seen the final disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks