What's new

My Big Lebowski DVD Fantasy (MERGED SE THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
doug -

while i agree this needs a new transfer, i think you're exaggerating the faults of the original release.

i am watching it on a 106" screen and i don't see much edge enhancement at all (and trust me, EE is an evil i cannot stand and any title with even a little bit of it looks like crap on my system).

i think it's rather dark and murky transfer but it's not terrible, and not riddled with edge enhancement.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sean - On my ISFed 57" screen it's very noticable. A great scene to see the EE I'm talking about is at the beginning of the film when The Dude is shopping for half-and-half in Ralph's. Check out the long shot down aisle as the camera pans towards him. EE all over the place. Is it the worst I've ever seen? No, but it's pretty bad, and added together with the other problems in this transfer I think there's a lot of room for improvement. The Big Lebowski was released in 1998, and it shows.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
doug -

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about the EE. on my isf'd 106" screen (using an infocus 7205 projector), i see no such edge enhancement, and like i said, this setup usually brings out even the slightest edge enhancement into plain view.

i DO see mpeg artifacting all over this DVD but really no edge enhancement. but we can both agree that this needs a new transfer, and that's the important thing!!!!

back on my 38" tube 16:9 this dvd looks okay but it loses all filmlike qualities on a bigger screen, so if this doesn't get a new transfer i can't see myself supporting the release, even if it has kick ass extras (i'll netflix those if i have to).

there's just no excuse to release an SE without a new transfer of this title.....let's cross our fingers!!!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I guess we'll just have to chalk up our different impressions on the EE to differnet setups, different eyes, etc. And I'm with you on the double-dipping Sean. No new transfer means no sale for me. I'd end up renting for the extras as well.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
doug -

i get scared by the recent crop of "special editions" like HEAT and GET SHORTY that have virtually the same transfers as they did back in 1998 and 1999....

the Big Lebowski is basically the holy grail of film comedy in my house so if they don't come up with the goods, i say we CUT OFF THEIR JOHNSONS!!!!!!

sean

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Let's settle this right here, right now. I took these screengrabs using PowerDvd 6 and I used a Bright color profile. The images are originally a little darker. In any case, YES, there is QUITE abit of edge enhancement in this transfer, but the worst thing is definitely the lack of detail. This I think (and hope) will improve most in the new SE.
bl.jpg

Look at his upper arm.
bl2.jpg

In this world I guess the pins have forcefields around them.
bl4.jpg

First of all, look at the guy, then look at the credit.
bl3.jpg

Here you can clearly see EE around Walter. This is also where I see the new SE being alot sharper.
bl5.jpg

Yes, indeed.
bl6.jpg

Again, Walters outline. Here you can also see mosquito noise around Walter's head.
Yup, that's it. Universal has a long way to go on this new SE. Hopefully, the new SE will look magnificent.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Darn you guys....now I want to watch this movie again! :) I have like 40 DVDs that I havent watched and have been trying to hold off on watching DVDs Ive already seen to try to get caught up. Oh well, I guess i'll just pour myself some White Russians and enjoy myself!! :D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
At least they've told us for sure that it's coming. I'm very interested to know what will be on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks