What's new

My Big Lebowski DVD Fantasy (MERGED SE THREAD) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It was way too oblique Jonathan. Shoulda just kept my mouth shut. :D
He lives in North Hollywood on Radford, near the In-and-Out Burger...

Mick Wright

Second Unit
This was a guest book posting on JeffBridges.com. So funny I had to post it.
I have been privy to some new stuff, most peculiar mama, and energizing: a sequel called THE LITTLE LEBOWSKI. Takes place 15 years after the birth of Malcolm Lebowski, who has been kicked out of a variety of private schools and ends up in the CA public schools. Movie opens with the Dude working in one of those retro vinyl/used-CD places. '60's memorabilia everywhere. Two teenage punks enter, force the Dude into the back room, rough him up in nasty teen ways--then realize this can't possibly be the father since Malcolm is a millionaire. Turns out Malcolm is involved in some drug-related scams and tries to pull off what his grandfather did by pulling out a cool million from the Little Achievers fund. Maud asks for the Dude's fatherly help after 15 years of silence. Walter tries to help in his usual ways. Funniest scene is when Maud and the Dude appear as a couple before the Assistant Principal of Malcom's new school (played by Wallace Shawn), who tries to reason with them about Malcolm's defiant behavior. We get public-school classrooms, street scenes, Maud's latest hobbies (feminist genetic cloning), and more bowling. Lots of forgotten '60's favorites provide soundtrack ("It's the Time of the Season for Loving," etc.). Same directors, same basic cast, same basic shaggy-dog plot, but updates with allusions to our current situation in Iraq. Comments on conscientious-objectors. This all sounds too good to be true. Is this just a horrible ploy to drive fans of the BIG LEBOWSKI crazy? And what a great name: Malcolm Lebowski!

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
LOL. That is funny. Of course, it seems to me that the perfect title for a "Big Lebowski" sequel is a title that has already been used, "Dude, Where's My Car?"

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I'm sitting hear looking at my copy of The Big Lebowski, and I was thinking how much it sucks. I mean this is a downright insulting treatment of such a great film. I am particularly annoyed by the synopsys on the back, which not only has horrendous grammar, but seems to have been wiritten by someone who never saw the movie.
Yeah, well, that's just like... your opinion, man!

-Lyle J.P.

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm going to cry from joy.

From the Digital Bits:

By the way, Universal has let it be known that Airwolf: Season One and The Big Lebowski Special Edition are on the way. Street dates and features are TBA. Lebowski... NICE

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
How times have changed. I remember when BL was a topnotch DVD.

Good news on the SE

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In all honesty, I'm not so sure Universal will even re-release BL with a new transfer. The current version has the pan and scam and the anamorphic WS version on the same side of the disc (catering to both markets). I would like a new WS transfer on the disc by itself, but I wouldn't count on it necessarily.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, there is already a DTS version, why not buy that one? The only reason for me, since I have the DTS version, for buying the new SE would be a new excellent transfer, but I don´t think that will be the case.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
You guys are so obsessed with video and sound quality. It's funny. Don't special features ever influence your buying of DVDs? That would be the case for me with this one. As far as I can tell (I don't own it) the current release of The Big Lebowski has only one special feature (a "making of" featurette), and it isn't substantial. The special edition would probably have a lot of cool behind the scenes stuff, and this is the possibility that most excites me about most special or collector's edition releases.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What matter to me first and foremost on ANY release are video and audio quality. These are the reasons I got into DVD in the first place way back in 1997. Extras are a nice bonus but come in a very distant third. If Universal chooses to use the same lousy widescreen transfer that's on the current Big Lebowski disc I'll probably give the SE a pass.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
why is the widescreen transfer lousy?

Last I watched my copy (though it's been a while), I remember being impressed by the quality...

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Don't special features ever influence your buying of DVDs?
Honestly........no. I think I've seen everything there is to know about how movies are made by this point. Making of's just aren't that interesting anymore. Better video, and to a lesser extent, better audio are the only reasons I will double-dip on a title.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
This is one where special features definitely influence my purchase. This is my favorite movie, and ANYTHING extra is a huge plus for me. What I'm really hoping for are deleted scenes (and more of the fantastic dialogue that peppers the film).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

It must have been a while Marco, because the video quality of the current Big Lebowski R1 release leaves a LOT to be desired. It's really quite bad unless you're watching on a small screen. MPEG compression artifacts, mosquito noise, edge enhancement, little shadow detail - I could go on. If Universal doesn't do a new transfer on the SE release there's little point in double dipping. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
You guys are so obsessed with video and sound quality. It's funny. Don't special features ever influence your buying of DVDs?
It's funny some people are more concerned about the extras than the presentation of the actual MOVIE itself. Now, I do watch some extras -- depending on the movie (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.). However, the best presentation of the movie is only what matters to me. The movie is what I strive to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks