What's new

My Big Lebowski DVD Fantasy (MERGED SE THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I'm sitting hear looking at my copy of The Big Lebowski, and I was thinking how much it sucks. I mean this is a downright insulting treatment of such a great film. I am particularly annoyed by the synopsys on the back, which not only has horrendous grammar, but seems to have been wiritten by someone who never saw the movie.

"The Dude. One cool guy. Who one day comes home to find two thugs have broken in and ruined his favourite carpet. - the one that made the room "hang together". Thing is, they did it because he's got the same name as one of the richest men in town. Lebowski. But, hey, no problem. He'll get even. At least he'll get someone to pay for the carpet."

Ugh. This film really deserves better. Has anyone heard anything, anything at all about a new version of this?

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I think the description on the back is supposed to be from the point of view of The Drifter (Sam Elliot).

A special edition would be great. I hate the 5.1 mix on the current DVD.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
to be honest I have not yet watched my dvd all the way through, since I have seen the movie so many, many times.

What is wrong with the current mix?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I doubt we will see a new edition of this film. The transfer is decent, there is a little doc on it, and it's a non-mainstream type film that has a little cult following. The studio probably figures they wouldn't make enough money to justify the costs to produce it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
What is wrong with the current mix?
I agree. The soundtrack sounds fine to my ears. This isn't some big budget SFX laden blockbuster.

I also agree that we won't see an SE of The Big Lebowski, as the Coen Brothers aren't big fans of special editions.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I'm planning on picking it up Friday, so it's good news (for me at least) that a special edition isn't likely. After several years of holding out for better editions, I've finally decided that the wait is no longer worth it, nor is it likely to yield any results. So I'm starting to build up my Coen's collection.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
I am particularly annoyed by the synopsys on the back, which not only has horrendous grammar, but seems to have been wiritten by someone who never saw the movie.
:laugh:
but seriously, the grammar's supposed to be like that dude. that's how he (the drifter) speaks.
and why do you say it was written by someone who never saw the movie ? been a while, but that sounds like the jist more or less.
are you sure it isn't you who hasn't seen the film ?

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure why you feel the need to be an ass, Andy_MT, it really seems unecessary to me.

First of all, I would not be posting this thread if I had not seen the movie. That should be obvious to even the puniest of minds.

Secondly, that is now how the dude talks, although considering that this is a Polygram release, I guess it could be the way English people interpret it.

Secondly, at no time in the movie is his "carpet" mentioned. His "rug" is mentioned many times however.

Thirdly, he does not come home and find two thugs have ruined his carpet. They ruin his *rug* right in front of him after he has already been home for several minutes.

Fourthly, the rug didn't make the room "hang together", it "really tied the room together".

So I repeat, it looks as though it was written by someone who never saw the movie, or at least someone who watched the movie once through without really paying attention and then slapped an innacurate synopsis on a piss poor DVD release.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
So I repeat, it looks as though it was written by someone who never saw the movie, or at least someone who watched the movie once through without really paying attention and then slapped an innacurate synopsis on a piss poor DVD release.
Amen, Jonathan. A friend of mine and I constantly bitch about this poorly written synopsis.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Again... the description on the back is supposed to be from the point-of-view of The Stranger (Sam Elliott).

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I don't care who's point of view the synopsis is supposed to be from. As far as I am concered that's irrelevant. Even if I accept the view that is is written from the strangers perspective (which I don't), we still have a poorly written, grossly innacurate synopsis obviously written by someone who either didn't watch, or didn't care about the movie.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
I'm not sure why you feel the need to be an ass, Andy_MT, it really seems unecessary to me.
sorry Jonathan, didn't mean to cause you any offence. obviously i did. it just came across as amusing that you thought somebody wrote this synopsis with the intention of being serious. us asses don't have very good social skills, so i may have over stepped the mark without realising.

now that you mention it, you're right about the synopsis not being accurate. perhaps if you had elaborated your point at the beginning. as i said, it was a while ago that i saw this film ...

still, sorry again. bad, bad andy.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Option A
1) Remove the cover from the case
2) Flip the cover over to the blank side
3) Write your own synopsys (optional)
4) Re-insert cover
5) Put the case down and just enjoy the movie
Option B
1) Send me the movie
2) Find a movie with a synopsys that's more agreeable with your tastes
After reading this thread, I'm really looking forward to picking this one up. If the biggest problem with this release is that the word "carpet" was used instead of "rug" on the back of the case, it can't be that bad. :D

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OK Jonathan, what do you think of the synopsys on the back of the UK version......

"The Dude, Jeff Lebowski, is unemployed and laid-back...until...victm of mistaken identity, two thugs break into his apartment in the errant belief that they are accosting Jeff Lebowski the Pasedena millionaire.

In hope of getting a replacement for his soiled carpet Dude visits his wealthy namesake and, with buddy, ex 'Nam' veteran, Walter, he is swept into a Coenesque comedy/thriller of extotion, embezzlement, sex and dope.

It takes guys as simple as the Dude and walter to make a story this complicated... and they'd really rather be bowling".

No synopsys can really do justice to the film because what makes the film great is it's quirkiness and characterisations. "Coenesque comedy/thriller" is the best bit of the description.

It's a film I never grow tired of seeing because I seem to discover something fresh each time or a subtletly I hadn't noticed before. So I would certainly welcome a new extras-packed edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks