What's new

My Best Buy is turning into Wal-Mart!!! (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I was amazed when I went to BB today. They always do a great job with keeping both widescreen and full screen versions in sight. However, I was there today, and was shocked. I saw quite a few dual releases in full screen only!!! I looked behind the full screen releases, and guess what I saw, WIDESCREEN!!!!! :angry: :thumbsdown: I was mad when I saw that the widescreen versions were behind the full screen versions. Needless to say, I quickly fixed the error. Have any of you experienced this at Best Buy or any stores other than Wal-Mart?

Sean Cullen

Agent
What probably happened was that an employee might not have noticed the two different versions while stocking or other customers might've put them back in front of the widescreen version.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Actually, ever since Spider-Man came out, the opposite has been true at my Wal-Mart. The widescreen versions of almost every dual release has been on the top rows or shelves of the display, then a row of full frame, then another row of widescreen, or something like that. Of course, the first row of widescreen would always sell out first, leaving the full frame version on the top, er, middle. So I would always move the lowest widescreen ones to fill the empty spaces, every few days. Haven't checked at any other stores in town. Actually, the Super Wal-Mart does not even have displays for the DVD's on release date, or I have yet to see one. Maybe they just get rid of it much quicker, and I can't remember the last time I was there on release date. Actually, I think it may have been when American Pie 2 came out.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I started working at Best Buy in November (after 3.5 years at Target). I always put the WS versions on top of the P/S versions. I am surprised that my bosses haven't asked me "What are you doing?" when I can be seen taking piles of DVDs and rearranging them for (to them) no apparent reason at all. :)
If it's any consolation, the arrangement is usually random. There is no rhyme or reason (to me, anyway) why they put the WS versions at point X and the P/S versions at point Y on the shelf.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wal-Mart is actually pretty good about dual versions. I bought Spider-Man on the way out of a Super Wal-Mart...and the ones on the standee by the checkout counter were almost all widescreen.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
At my store, for big releases, there will usually be, say five or ten facings of the widescreen versions of the hot new DVD, and one facing of the pan-and-scan version (which is always in the corner of the very bottom row).
Big cardboard displays--same deal. Widescreen versions very accessible--pan-and-scan versions, on the bottom row, even below the VHS versions if possible.
Sure, people can buy pan-and-scan DVDs at my store if they want, but it's going to be as inconvienient for them as humanly possible.
:)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Tony-B,

That happened several week ago at my local Best Buy when I was looking at the Back To The Future Trilogy DVD. The fullscreen (aka Pan & Scan) were in the front. I had to move the BTTF boxes around to find a Widescreen version (I did find the Widescreen version & I purchased it).

IMO, usually the reason why Widescreen versions are behing Pan & Scan versions are because of customers (that is why there are DVD's which are out of place at certain stores. Also, IMO, there are some Widescreen haters who will hide the widescreen versions so that people have a hard time finding Widescreen versions. Also it could have been an employee mistake.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Matthew-
I did that every time I went to Wal-Mart. Until right before Christmas, that is. That's when they decided to put all the DVD's behind lockable plexiglass cases :angry: :thumbsdown:
Yes, I know... a theft deterrent ... but I like to pick my possible purchase up and read the case in the store.:frowning:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The stores should have a completely separate section for FS, preferably at the other end of the store. :)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I have 2 Wal-Mart's in my area, one in Whitehall, PA & another one in Trexlertown, PA. The Wal-Mart in Whitehall, PA has all of the DVD's locked up behind glass cases. The Wal-Mart in Trexlertown, PA doesn't keep the DVD's locked behing glass cases.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I was also happy to see this week's circular singing the praises of widescreen on the front page.
Three of the Sunday weekly ads this month are horizontal instead of the normal vertical, to "celebrate" the widescreen format--leading up to the Super Bowl (January is a huge month for big screen TV sales, due to the big game).

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
BB had only the FS version of Episode I the other day. I was piossed off cause i wanted to buy the WS version!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have noticed that in some of the Best Buy ads, the cover of the full screen version of some movies are show with a caption of "also available in widescreen." Personally, I would rather this be reversed. Also, since Best Buy is phasing VHS out, are they now going to have to cater to the fullscreeeners with their DVD section?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
BB had only the FS version of Episode I the other day. I was piossed off cause i wanted to buy the WS version!
That's probably because Episode I full Screen is a NEW release. They released it in Full Screen as originally only a Widescreen version was available. You probably would have to check the catalogue titles for a WS version.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I have noticed that in some of the Best Buy ads, the cover of the full screen version of some movies are show with a caption of "also available in widescreen." Personally, I would rather this be reversed. Also, since Best Buy is phasing VHS out, are they now going to have to cater to the fullscreeeners with their DVD section?
I actually contacted them about this. It is misleading. Since most DVDs are widescreen only. By saying also in widescreen, that is implying that everything is in full screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks