What's new

My Arcam AVR200 just blew up, AGAIN!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Last Monday, my dealer received my AVR200 via UPS and I picked it up that evening. The following afternoon, I hooked everything up (checked and re-checked--this is the 10th home cinema system I've hooked up), turned on the AVR200, and within 3 seconds, a "POP" and no display. The green power light was on but that was it. I brought it back that evening, was told that a faulty circuit kept blowing fuses and I would receive a new one by Thurs evening, Friday morning at the latest. As it turns out, the American distributor did not send the package as quickly as promised and I received it only today. I've just spent about two hours moving equipment and furniture (it's now half past midnight) and hooking everything up (checking and re-checking all the connections) and when I turned it on, the same "POP" and no display. I am using the exact same interconnects and speaker wire that worked perfectly well with my old Denon AVR1600 (which I sold to my brother-in-law). I verified that the impedence switch was at the correct setting, the voltage switch was at the correct setting and that no bare wires were in any way touching either each other or the chassis.

I really wanted to enjoy my Arcam. The two-channel integrated amp my dealer lent me while I was waiting was wonderful and I hated parting with it. However, having this problem twice makes me reluctant to try my luck again.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How about an A85 with the multi channel module, that the dealer and/or Arcam should throw in for free... That really sucks. Probably just a bad batch.

Joris van W.

Auditioning
If this is a new machine you must be doing something wrong. Although it looks like you know exactly what you're doing. Isn't it possible to let your dealer do the setup for you (just to be sure).

I hope you soon will be able to enjoy your AVR200. Good luck.

[Off topic mode]
Have you already made a decision on your speakers?
[/Off topic mode]

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I feel your pain Paul. I bought a "new" Hafler amp on ebay, a couple of months back and it worked great for a week and then one day I turned it on and was greeted by a loud pop a flash and then smoke. Luckily it had a warranty and the seller was great about getting me a replacement. First major failure in all my years of home audio. I know you know what you are doing but I would try and get the dealer to help you set up the next one just to be sure everthings A OK . The odds of two bad units doesn't seem right, although it's not impossible . Good luck:emoji_thumbsup:

MartyP

Stunt Coordinator
Paul:

I read with interest your post because I was thinking about buying an AVR200 next week.
If you order another unit, have the dealer take it out of the box at the dealership and plug it in. Try to eliminate your outlet as the problem. I would give it one more try as Arcam has an excellent reliability and customer service reputation (despite your experience). I've owned two of their CD players (Alpha 9 & CD92T) and they were excellent players.
BTW--as a teenager, I used to go to Longueuil and hop on the Metro to go to concerts at the Forum. I still love going to Montreal...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It may or may not matter, but you do know that Arcam OEM's their receivers from overseas. I take it you've got a spare receiver laying around that you could hook up to verify that it's not, in some bizarre way, a problem with something else.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Joris,

I made the connections in exactly the same way as with all my other setups, for myself and others. On the speaker issue, I went with the Boston Acoustics (got a great deal).

Marty,

I considered the possibility that the outlet was the problem but it was on the same power bar (and socket) as the two channel A65 that operated flawlessly (with the same speaker wires).

Chu Gai,

As I just mentioned, I had the A65 as a loaner and it worked flawlessly. I don't have another receiver as I've already brought my old Denon to my brother-in-law, 1000km away.

P.S. I will ask the dealer to install the equipment if I get another Arcam, but (and I don't want to sound full of hubris) I really don't think I've done anything wrong. As for a faulty outlet, on the same power bar are my subwoofer, my 27" Sony Wega KVFS100 tv, my Sony DVD/VCR combo player, my Scientific Atlanta DVR and a small 40 watt lamp. None of these items have had any power fluctuations or difficulties, either with my old receiver or my "borrowed" amp. I would think that if the outlet or power bar were faulty or overloaded that some of these other devices would suffer.

My speaker cable is 12 gauge Monster XP (in use for 13 months).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I understand Paul. Your two experiences with the Arcam reminded me of an old Rodney Dangerfield joke.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Chu- your the best. All that insight and great jokes to boot. I really liked the 'dealer' write up the other day with the pic of the old man. You're killin me.

Paul- Having the dealer hook the one you get this time at the store before you bring it home is the best bet. The good thing is you know for sure the unit is ok before bringing it home. The bad thing is if the unit fries again, you are looking like a real .... You can fill in the blank.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not likely, but it never hurts to ask, especially in your situation, which seems like an honest coincidence. It is extremely likely that these two receivers came from the same batch, from the same wharehouse/distributor that this shop gets them from, and there are others out there doing the same thing. If that is the case, the dealer and/or Arcam, will know you aren't pulling their chain. If it is just your two units that have the problem, they will be HIGHLY unlikely to do anything about it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

My dealer is of the same opinion. The receivers are likely from the same batch. They've spoken to the distributor and so far (though they are supposed to call them again) the distributor is trying to blame the speakers. My dealer has offered me an upgrade to my sub (Boston Acoustic PV500 to PV900) plus an Integra 6.4 even trade or no sub upgrade and an Integra 7.4 for my Arcam +100$. To be honest, if my dealer didn't carry Arcam, I would not have known of it and would have gone with the Integra 6.4, after having demoed Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and Integra. Will know more later today.

Chu,
Thanks for the laugh, I sure needed it. (I even remember hearing him deliver that joke on the old A&E Night at the Improv that was on late night about a decade ago.) :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I hope it works out for you Paul. I ran across the following posting on USENET by an individual with the same model unit as yours. Perhaps some of his comments are things you might want to look into if you get another one.
Click here.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the link. I don't want to be alarmist and/or besmirch a company's reputation but I think after two bad units and an attempt by the distributor to blame my speakers, I will likely go with the Integra. I'm just trying to decide which (6.4 w/sub upgrade or 7.4 no upgrade) to get.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Pau

Oh Gosh what a major bummer. The Arcam sounds just fantasic and your run of bad units and or luck, is just the pits.:frowning:

I was going to grab up a AVR-200, but have decided to wait for the new 300 which will be quite a feature upgrade compared to both the 1 and 200. Tho stated pricing at release time hurts a litle bit...

I'm sure a few other 200's owners out their have gotten a hold of a bad unit, but in general their record is excellent as far a seeing/getting bum AVR-units.

So unfortuant with the Arcam/2, hope that which ever Integra you decide on is healthy first off, and sounds good for yah!!
Especally after having the A65 in the house for awhile, nice unit.

A touch off the 200 subject:
====>?
What has your dealer told you on the NEW 300 if mentioned, as far as when it wll be available?
====>?

It was pushed back a month from mid Feb to mid March, "last I heard". I was told this about 3+ weeks ago and that was just for dealer demo units.. Actual sale units yet another couple weeks behind that.....!

Regards
Geoff

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Geoff,

My dealer expects late April/early May and not a lot of initial wiggle room on the MSRP. I suspect he'd have given me a deal on one if they were already out but I don't want to wait that long and, to tell the truth, I'm a little gunshy at this point. As I said earlier, I don't want to trash a company's rep, the A65 was a great unit.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Paul: :frowning:

Oh boy, another push back. Better to do it right, than release early and add possible problems.

Well, I still have something to run right now so I'll live...

I hope they release by the end of April, that would work out well for me a least..

Cheers
Geoff

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I have an AVR300 on order and was told recently (by someone at Arcam) that about 50 dealer demo units will ship mid March. Production units are expected in April.

Dean

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Dean

Cool, hope Arcam meets their suposed time line you posted. Really looking forward to this new piece.

Has you dealer given you a ballpark dollar figure on what he will be selling them for less a serious haggel??

I now your trading up for your 300,,:emoji_thumbsup: ~{but might you have an idea}~ with no trade in??

Again I say thanks for those dimensions, they were very needed and it will work out perfect.
Plenty of room all round!!!!

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks