What's new

Must-See in Myrtle Beach? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll be heading out for vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC, in a week or so. Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations on things to see or do?

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
You can .....play golf to your hearts content.

Also, there is a pretty good little aquarium there. I think it is a Ripley's (as in believe it or not)!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have a condo in North Myrtle Beach and go there 3-4 times per year. As Chad mentioned, the Ripley's Aquarium is worth a visit. Some of the attractions are seasonal and will be shutdown when you are there (amusement park, water parks, minor league baseball, etc.). If you are a golfer, there are over 100 courses in the area to play. I can recommend some if you are interested. There is a House Of Blues with nightly entertainment, and an IMAX Theater. The area's not really scenic, so other than the ocean there's not many natural scenic areas to check out. Depending on which part of the Strand you are staying (north or south), Charleston is about a 2 hour drive south. There's a lot to see there, too.

There are some nice restuarants. In the "Restaurant Row" area, check out Chestnut Hill, Cagney's, Sam Snead's Grill, Thoroughbred's and Outrigger (which is less expensive, but has very good food).

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I would forget the dining places in Myrtle itself and instead head north on 17 just over the NC border to Calabash, NC. You exit onto Highway 179 just before the border if memory serves.

Best seafood resturants in the area (especially if you like fried), its the place where Calabash-style seafood gets its name. If you want a really good place, another 5 miles will take you to Twin Lakes Seafood at the foot of the bridge to Sunset Beach, NC. Best seafood I've ever eaten hands down, fried, broiled, or otherwise. Their clams are to die for.

If you're into war stuff, the USS North Carolina is super neat, and about an hour north. Barefoot Landing is fun for the kids, lots of shops and the House of Blues.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Or, head south toward Litchfield and find Oliver's restaurant, it's hidden in Murrell's Inlet or something. Farmer's Daughter is also down-home good.
Also, try Collector's restaurant -- on 17 right across from the Wal*Mart. Excellent. (If it's still there.)
Coupla great Japanese steakhouses in MB proper, too. The one at "Broadway On The Beach" is good.
Put your wallet in your front pocket and walk the boardwalk by the Pavillion.
Spend half a day at Brookgreen Gardens http://www.brookgreen.org/, where they haven't changed the copy since I wrote it a billion years ago...
And don't try to get anywhere fast on 2-lane highway 17. That was our hurricane evacuation route, if you can believe it.
Have fun!
MC

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One word of warning regarding Myrtle Beach restaurants -- as a general rule, avoid the "all you can eat" Calabash-style buffets. They are not good. As Matt said, if you want Calabash-style fried seafood, make the short drive to Calabash, NC. If you do not like your seafood fried, the restaurants I listed in my other post have very good seafood, and both Cagney's and Sam Snead's are known for their steaks, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll be printing this thread before heading to the airport. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just got back from Myrtle a few weeks ago. Check out LEGENDS in Concert on Highway 17 Business, just south of Myrtle Beach if you are into music. Great recreations of music legends. We saw Rod Stewart, Little Richard, Blues Brothers, Liza, Roy Orbison, and Elvis. Great time, even my four year old loved it.

There is also a Medieval Times, and Dixie Stamped dinner show nearby. If you want to try a buffet, try Captian Georges Seafood near Broadway on the Beach.

Also recommend Barefoot Landing, reminded us of Disney's marketplace. Broadway on the Beach is like Barefoot Landing also.

Enjoy!!

Jim

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Whatever you do, don't go to Myrtle Beach during Memorial Day weekend. :) You'll have to trust me on this one.
Unless you fit in a certain demographic, you will NOT be welcome. :D

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the Legends and Dixie Stampede ideas. My mother drug me to those and I ended enjoying it very much.

The Blues Brothers at Legends are really good.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Alabama Theater, especially if Alabama is playing in this farewell year, Ripley's Aquarium at Broadway, with a walk-thru shark tank, Candy Shoppe at Barefoot Landing, with the best praelines in the world, House of Blues Gospel Brunch on Sunday, with live gospel music and a great spread of food, many fine gentlemen's clubs to go with the golf courses, Greg Norman's restaurant at Barefoot Landing, tiger exhibit at Barefoot, where you can hold a tiger cub for $35.00, and don't miss Legends if the Blues Brothers are in the house.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
My fondest memory of Myrtle Beach was the best Laser tag place I've played at. I can't give you an exact location or name, but I think it was on the main strip. It was obviously dark and had neon lights. But unlike most others that I've been to, which only have a bunch of plastic "shields" hanging from the ceiling, there were poles, multiple floors, and bean bags(moon-rocks) scattered around the arena.
I'd love to make another trip there just to got play there again.:b
Of course if you don't care about laser tag...just ignore this post.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks