What's new

Musicals: From Stage & Film to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/60#post_3802567
Matthew:

My favorite on your list (just above) of musicals with anniversaries next year?

The Happiest Millionaire! I know a lot of people dismiss it...but considering it's jam-packed with Sherman Brothers goodness and a great cast--I love it! The roadshow edition looks great on DVD and might be a real stunner on blu.

Next would be Newsies. I remember being in my local Best Buy on the Monday night before the DVD release of Newsies trying to convince an employee to sell me a copy! (I just happened to be in the mall on another errand.) No go. I had to go back the next day... This one could be marketed with a starring performance by Best-Supporting Actor winner Christian Bale!

And I think you and me have been around the block on this subject before...but I, too, love filmed version of stage productions. In fact, when I first heard about the recent limited run (4 nights, I think) of Sondheim's Company at Avery Fisher Hall (Neil Patrick Harris, Jon Cryer, Stephen Colbert, Christina Hendricks(!) AND many more) my FIRST thought was "damn, I hope someone is recording that for release!"

Update:

Newsies was released on Blu June 19th. Here is Matt's HTF review.

This just in: That concert performance of Company is up for pre-order on Amazon for November 17th!

The only thing left is to bring on The Happiest Millionaire!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, I'm sitting here tonight...watching my 2006 DE DVD of Guys and Dolls...wishing that I was watching my 2012 DE Blu-ray of Guys and Dolls.

Grrrr.

CinemaScope, the colors, the song and dance routines...and one of my favorite film shots (looking back at Vivian Blaine from inside her medicine cabinet during Adelaide's Lament). They all scream for high-definition.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mike Frezon said:
So, I'm sitting here tonight...watching my 2006 DE DVD of Guys and Dolls...wishing that I was watching my 2012 DE Blu-ray of Guys and Dolls.
Grrrr.
Count yourself lucky! My DVD is the original non-anamorphic botch-job, one of the first DVDs I bought. I can't wait to replace it with the Blu-ray.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Norman /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/120#post_3971942
Yeah that's it, I'm glad to help though truthfully I thought you were just getting warmed up for the event.

I was. I just didn't know it!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Still MIA on blu. Most are based on Broadway shows (but some are original). Mostly big 1950s-1970s era musicals, not the studio musicals from decades prior (too many to list...!) I include the gold and the dross:
Oklahoma
The King and I
Li'l Abner
Bells Are Ringing
Damn Yankees
Pajama Game
Jumbo
State Fair (either/either)
Kismet
Mary Poppins
The Unsinkable Mollie Brown
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Gypsy
Sweet Charity
Grease 2
A Little Night Music
Cabaret
Finian's Rainbow
Paint Your Wagon
Oliver
Goodbye Mr Chips
Xanadu
Victor/Victoria
The Boy Friend
Funny Girl
Funny Lady
Dr. Dolittle
Star!
A Chorus Line
Yentl
On a Clear Day, You Can See Forever
Man of La Mancha
Mame

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I know we have been talking about this, but Li'l Abner should look great in Blu-ray and one I wish would be released.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/120#post_3972155
I know we have been talking about this, but Li'l Abner should look great in Blu-ray and one I wish would be released.

If the VistaVision helped make White Christmas sparkle, I imagine Li'l Abner would be equally eye-popping. Would love to see that myself.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That's a rather shocking and sobering list.

Another shout-out for Li'l Abner. But really, there are so many fine ones missing.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ahollis said:
I know we have been talking about this, but Li'l Abner should look great in Blu-ray and one I wish would be released. 
You know what I wish they'd look into, while they're at it--there's supposedly a 1971 tv version of Abner, with Billie Hayes reprising her Mammy role and with Carol Burnett and Donald O'Connor! There is a listing for this special on imdb, but I have enquired and nobody I know has ever heard of it or remembers seeing it. I wonder if it's lost, or if it even aired? (Although I very much doubt they'd shelve a project starring Carol Burnett, then at the height of her popularity). Maybe it's just one of those things that's missing only because nobody's looking for it. Anyway, I would be interested if somebody would release that too--

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/120#post_3972333
You know what I wish they'd look into, while they're at it--there's supposedly a 1971 tv version of Abner, with Billie Hayes reprising her Mammy role and with Carol Burnett and Donald O'Connor! There is a listing for this special on imdb, but I have enquired and nobody I know has ever heard of it or remembers seeing it. I wonder if it's lost, or if it even aired? (Although I very much doubt they'd shelve a project starring Carol Burnett, then at the height of her popularity). Maybe it's just one of those things that's missing only because nobody's looking for it. Anyway, I would be interested if somebody would release that too--
This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing. I'm sure I would have watched it if it ever aired, and I certainly have never seen it.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
It's in the tv listings of the NYTimes for April 26, 1971. From the Chicago Tribune "the main problem in Dogpatch for this production is pollution and cameo guests Eddie Albert, Ken Berry, Carol Burnett, Monty Hall and Donald O'Connor contribute comments on the subject." It aired on ABC (not NBC as imdb has it).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/120#post_3972357
It's in the tv listings of the NYTimes for April 26, 1971. From the Chicago Tribune "the main problem in Dogpatch for this production is pollution and cameo guests Eddie Albert, Ken Berry, Carol Burnett, Monty Hall and Donald O'Connor contribute comments on the subject." It aired on ABC (not NBC as imdb has it).

Well, one learns something every day. Certainly has been news to me. Wonder if it was one of their late night specials like It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman was?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Never heard of this, and of course I'd love to see it.

If I ruled the world (and why shouldn't I?), it would be de rigeur for all alternate versions of musicals (and dramas), remakes, etc., to be included on releases of the main event. Criterion does this sometimes (but even they have missed a few beauts), and even the mainstream studios have joined the party and given us little treasures -- like the TV movie version of Double Indemnity. This should be what comprehensive archiving and marketing and collecting is, at least partly, all about.

Of course I know this post turns a blind eye to all the reasons it often can't be done. Believe me, I know that. Just indulge me my li'l Li'l Abner fantasy for a li'l bit.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am sure somewhere on this thread someone has mentioned CABARET, for which a recent restoration was done which was shown at the TCM festival earlier this year. I have read we can expect a blu ray of this sometime in the first quarter of next year. My question... anyone here see this restored version? I have yet to see any detailed reviews about the quality of the restoration and what they had to work with.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod /t/310725/musicals-from-stage-film-to-blu-ray/120#post_3972398
I am sure somewhere on this thread someone has mentioned CABARET, for which a recent restoration was done which was shown at the TCM festival earlier this year. I have read we can expect a blu ray of this sometime in the first quarter of next year. My question... anyone here see this restored version? I have yet to see any detailed reviews about the quality of the restoration and what they had to work with.

I saw a digital screening of the Cabaret restoration this past July, and it looked better than I had seen it looked in years (but don't go by me, I've only seen it on VHS and Laserdisc). A lot of the cinematography was done in low light, so there was a lot of grain that was, mercifully, untouched. Color and sound were fine, and I couldn't see a speck of dirt or a scratch.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
MatthewA said:
I saw a digital screening of the Cabaret restoration this past July, and it looked better than I had seen it looked in years (but don't go by me, I've only seen it on VHS and Laserdisc). A lot of the cinematography was done in low light, so there was a lot of grain that was, mercifully, untouched. Color and sound were fine, and I couldn't see a speck of dirt or a scratch.
Oh god--that sounds good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks