What's new

Music on HT system won't utilize all Speakers/Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Hello everyone. I was trying to listen to some MP3s, but I noticed that regardless of what surround sound mode my denon receiver was set to, all speakers would still carry just one sound and the subwoofer wouldn't work at all. Everything is fine during movies and what not. Whenever I connect my MP3 player to a 2.1 system, the subwoofer is working in that system just fine. Also, I've tried connecting my MP3 player to the denon receiver using a 3.5mm to RCA converter, and I've tried loading the music right on to my blu ray player, but to no avail. I was doing some research and I think it said somewhere that MP3s don't support anything greater than 2.1? Is that true? I was thinking of converting everything to FLAC file and then using my HT system. Is there any solution to this? Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, MP3s are 2.0 - stereo. There is no dedicated LFE channel in stereo music.

All CDs are stereo, too. The only multichannel music formats are SACD, or HDAudio (I think that's what it was called).

You should be able to set up your Denon to route low frequencies to the subwoofer. In the speaker setup menu, make sure subwoofer is set to "On" or enabled, and that your main speakers are set to "small" or if that's not an option, set their crossover to 100 Hz or thereabouts.

Unless you specifically set the Denon to "All Channel Stereo" or whatever the Denon equivalent is, you will never get sound out of anything but the main speakers (and subwoofer, as described above) for stereo music.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Look for a Dolby Pro Logic II mode on your receiver and use it - this will convert the sound into simulated 5.1 sound.... http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-ii.html

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your inputs. I know my receiver has that small/large frequency allotment so I will give that a look. As for the Dolby Digital Pro Logic II, I didn't know my receiver had that. I just checked and it says that it does. How do I access it? Is it just by cycling through the Surround Mode? I was going through it and I found "PL II Cinema". Reading the manual, I think it says I need to use PL II Music, however cycling through it didn't land me there. Again, I was using the 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Is it just by cycling through the Surround Mode?
You did not supply the model number - but there is usually a surround mode button - keep pressing it to get to whatever your receiver calls pro-logic II.
, I think it says I need to use PL II Music, however cycling through it didn't land me there. Again, I was using the 3.5mm to RCA cable.
-- Should not matter where your signal is coming from to apply the surround mode to the source - if you can hear the source, you should be able to apply that sound mode to it. There are other sound modes that will only work with certain inputs (the DD and DTS loose-less modes will only work over an HDMI connection) - but prologic II should work with any stereo input. If you supply the model number, I'll look up the manual and give you the page # with the instructions to do this...

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Oh wow. I completely forgot. I thought I had put in the model number Its the Denon 1611 model. I read through the Manual as well, and saw the pro logic stuff. So I will just connect my MP3 player to it and just switch to PL II mode on the "Surround Mode" selection.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even 2ch material should be bass managed, meaning the sub will play, unless as mentioned, you haven't configured it with the mains set to small and sub=yes. There is also the possibility you have it set to "direct" or something similar which will bypass bass management and give you only what the source sends so no sub for 2ch material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks