Music missing from "Millennium" Season 2?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bill GrandPre, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I found the following quote on the "This Is Who We Are" Millennium message board:

So, does anyone know how to get the ball rolling on trying to get Fox to correct this mistake? As I said above, this can't be a rights issue because the music is public domain and appears elsewhere in the episode.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I've seen it in original network airing and I remember it being silent. I'm saying I'm 99% (but not 100%) sure that it's silent. The sequence's use of silence sticks out in my mind for being, well, silent. [​IMG]

Wasn't the Wagner tune used when they 'avenge' the Old Man's murder in Roosters?

As you say, why wouldn't they use free music when they spent the money to license other songs? Plus, I'm sure someone would have caught that by now since S2 is the most beloved Millennium season ever.

3. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I distinctly remember the lack of a score during the attack on the Old Man, so there isn't anything missing from the set...

4. Bill GrandPre

Yeah, I'm not sure myself. Like I said, I didn't see the episodes when they originally aired and I did put a question mark in the thread title, but here's that scene from a transcript of the episode:

This isn't a shooting script, it's a transcript by Dan Owen.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Hmm. Like I said, I'm not 100% but it just seems bizarre that 1. Fox would replace free music or 2. it would have taken over eight months for someone to notice that they did.

Although a counterpoint to my argument would be that (and correct me if I'm wrong) Dan Owen was one of the guys who wrote the Virtual Season Four of Millennium. Thus it seems like he'd be a pretty good authority on the series.

I have the tapes of the original network broadcasts (and the FX broadcasts too) but they are BURIED somewhere in my house. I'll have to dig them out or hope that someone else has them and can check and save me the trouble of locating them.[​IMG]

6. Bill GrandPre

There are a lot of things you don't notice when you're going through a TV season on DVD at a fast pace (I believe I watched my copy of Season 2 in a matter of 4 or 5 days) but there's definitely something amiss when you go back and watch that DVD knowing that music may be missing. As I mentioned earlier, it's very unusual that there's no music whatsoever in such a dramatic scene, and the most telling sign is that there's a shot where the camera tilts down and hangs on the tape player for a beat and there is no music on the soundtrack whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned, all signs point to missing music. If this does turn out to be missing music, I have to believe that it's a flat-out mistake. It occured to me that the actual performance of "Parsifal" may be a copyrighted work but I really doubt Fox would completely remove it without replacing it with any one of the many public domain performance of it that they would undoubtedly have access to. Wikipedia lists the following noteworthy recordings:

I know practically nothing about classical music but I figure Fox would have at least replaced it with one of these (or even some cheesy public domain version from some no-name group of musicians who recorded it for some stock library) and 99.999% of people wouldn't have noticed the difference, I mean, look how long it took for people to notice that it was gone in the first place.

7. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

No, I think the original airing didn't have the music (I watched Owls and Roosters many times before they hit DVD). The audio tape stopped and then the Old Man was attacked.

8. Bill GrandPre

Somebody's gotta be able to produce a tape. Until then, I can't dismiss with what the transcript says, not to mention this:

and the person who thought it should be there in the first place. On top of all that, the inclusion of the shot of the tape recorder with no music playing is downright bizarre. Having never seen the episode when it aired on television I am in absolutely no position to say who's right or wrong, but I believe the evidence that the music was once in that scene warrants some further investigation. I have googled pretty much every combination of "Parsifal", "Wagner", "Roosters" and "Millennium" you could think of. All the evidence that the music played during the actual death sequence is here in this thread.

9. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

My original broadcast VHS tape copy is long gone, but I still have an unedited syndication copy of "Roosters" in my possession. The audio track there is identical to the one on the DVD. The Wagner music becomes inaudible as Lara walks up the steps. As the camera pans down to the tape recorder, you just hear a hum suggesting that the tape is rewinding or is playing a blank portion of the tape. The only music heard during the entire death scene is a Mark Snow swell when the angel appears. I can't confirm that the episode was shown on Fox that way, but it seems likely.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I was gonna say that you could read the transcript as saying that the music was dialed down and then rose again after the murder. It's a pretty safe assumption that FX's airings are identical to Fox's.

Thank God (and Michael) that I don't have to look for my tape now. [​IMG]

11. Michael Sliger

Travis, I would still politely request that you look around for your original broadcast copy if you get the time. There may have been a circumstance that the scene was deemed too violent after the first airing and was edited for all future broadcasts. The only simple way to trim a scene with backing music like that is to remove the music entirely. Morgan and Wong do have a facination with loud music over death scenes, so this moment does seem out of place.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It may take a few days (I've got various things going on) but I'll locate it.

Hell, I'm too anal to not find out for sure[​IMG]

13. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I still have the FX broadcast copy somehwere on tape of ROOSTERS, but I still remember that there was no music when the Old Man was being attacked.

14. Bill GrandPre

Did you ever manage to find your tape of the original airing, Travis?

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Sorry not yet, Bill. I swear I will find it soon. [​IMG]

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

OK, I found the OTA tape and I have GOOD news. The way the scene plays on DVD is the exact way it played when it originally aired on Fox. The music fades out when The Old Man finishes talking about seeing a vision of his parents when they died in Auschwitz. The tape player continues on with just a 'grinding' blank tape noise. Later, Gunsche comes in and the only sounds you hear are some grunts and stabbing noises but no music.

Fox has done right by all their Ten Thirteen DVDs. Phew. [​IMG]

17. Bill GrandPre

That's a relief. Many thanks for checking.

18. Michael Sliger

Agreed. Thanks Travis for removing all doubt, though Fox did muck up a few Ten Thirteen disks (special taglines missing in a few important X-Files episodes, the atrocious master used for "Triangle", etc.). It does look like all of the Millennium episodes are in good shape (though I still need to watch "The Sound of Snow" onwards once I find the time).

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Touche, I had forgotten those. [​IMG] And the "Previously On The X-Files" are almost all gone too. I can live with the messed up taglines and don't care that deeply about the previously ons but the situation with Triangle always did bother me. I'm not really a cry baby over that type of thing but that transfer was really, really messed up.

In reference to the taglines, which ones are changed on the DVD? I never really found out since I just figured it would piss me off. I know Ascension was screwed up. I THINK that from Season Four forward had all the correct ones.

20. Michael Sliger

According to the master list at TVShowsonDVD.com, only Ascension and Redux II (Season 5) are missing the proper taglines, but I seem to think that there was another episode in either Season 3 or 4 that was mastered incorrectly as well. Since the next set in my reviewing cycle is Season 8, it will be a while before I can recheck that situation.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/alterati...e=X&StartRow=1