What's new

Multiple zone receiver? (1 Viewer)

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I'm looking for a receiver that can handle 4 separate zones with two speakers each. Two speakers for kitchen, two speakers for garage, two speakers for outside, two speakers for whatever.

Each location doesn't necessarily have to have the ability to play from different sources. The only requirement is that I can turn on/off each location individually. I hope that makes sense.

Networking capabilities would be nice (Pandora, local media, etc.). Are there any products out there that can do this without breaking the bank?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...The main zone. Is it going to be 5.1? 7.1?Since you don't care if you have each room a "committed zone", just get a speaker switch matrix.How many speakers your main room has and how many "zones" You truly need will determine cost.No matter what, if you haven't bought anything yet...This is roughly $4000.

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
There is no main room. This amp will soley handle 4 rooms, 2 speakers each, with the ability to turn on/off each room separately. No need for 5.1 or 7.1.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you don't use the word "receiver" for your goal. To cut the confusion, you need a multi-zone amp.Although, yes there is one receiver on the market. The Denon DRA697.I would look into Russound with in-room LCD controls. Yes you get your network integration.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How much is "breaking the bank"?The typical whole-home system typically ends up costing 2-3 times what setting up individual systems cost.

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Thanks for the help. I was thinking $400-500. I don't need LCD controls, but with networking I would assume would come with a iPhone/android app. The denon you recommended looks promising. any other options?

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I didn't realize that. how are 5.1, 7.1 networking receivers $400-500 and can handle 7-9 speakers? is it the zoning that makes it more expensive?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You want networking and 4 zones. Let's cut cost a bit and choose 3 powered zones. The Demon X3000/4000 are "it". But I don't remember which one(maybe even both) can do 3 zones. Doesn't matter though. You don't have enough budget.Onkyo won't be any less expensive, and it won't be as easy "networked zone".Problem is. Every 3zone powered AVR I can think of us 9.1. I think there is one 7.1 3 zone...but again, doesn't matter. Not enough budget.

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
take the onkyo HT-RC360 for example. $250 on sale. 2 zones with networking. you're saying adding a third or fourth zone functionality jumps the price to $thousands? I don't even need the HDMI, Dolby/DTS/etc processing, just stereo per zone. I don't get it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On the 360...

2nd Zone has no access, at all, to networking.
2nd Zone has no access, at all, to digital inputs.

Both things you need, to work the way you want it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Denon DRA 697(provided you can even find one) doesn't include networking, so you'd need to buy a separate interface and two more amps.

Price of 697 "was" $800(last I knew)
Networking interface(ie...a computer) is however much you want to spend(an ATV 1 or Airport express would work...)
Two more amps costs $200-$500.

That puts you near $1500(at least) and you have to buy wire and speakers.

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
No, I never did. OP: "Each location doesn't necessarily have to have the ability to play from different sources."

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
chuckd83 said:
No, I never did. OP: "Each location doesn't necessarily have to have the ability to play from different sources."
So your statement on 4 locations not needing to play different sources means I'm supposed to know to backtrack all the way to 1 zone...when the thread title is "Multiple zone receiver"...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your first two paragraphs...

"I'm looking for a receiver that can handle 4 separate zones with two speakers each. Two speakers for kitchen, two speakers for garage, two speakers for outside, two speakers for whatever.
Each location doesn't necessarily have to have the ability to play from different sources. The only requirement is that I can turn on/off each location individually. I hope that makes sense."
Your wording is all wrong from the outset(which was why I kept asking the questions).
So, you have 4 rooms you want audio in. Want that as 1 zone, 2 zones, 3 zones or 4 zones? (using the speakers in each area on or off has zero bearing on "rooms" or "zones")
So "each location doesn't have to have different sources"(paraphrased) still leaves 2 and 3.

chuckd83

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I didn't know 'zone' or 'room' had particular meanings within home theater language referring to 'sources'. I thought it was equivalent to 'location.' What I want is two speakers in 4 different "locations", 8 speakers total: garage, living room, kitchen, outside. I play a song from Pandora. I want the ability for this song to play in any or all of the 4 locations.

working on the car: this song plays in the garage only
cooking dinner: this song plays in the kitchen only
having a party: this song plays in kitchen, living room, outside
cleaning the house: this song plays in kitchen and living room only

Does this make more sense? No need for multiple sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks