What's new

Multichannel output to monoblock amps (1 Viewer)

Risuun

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hey. I am new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this has been covered before (didn't find it when I searched).

I was talking with a friend and he mentioned setting up a HTPC with a nice Creative Fatality soundcard and outputing to monoblock amps for each speaker. He said that the sound quality is much better than a receiver since there aren't single dedicated amps for each channel on the receiver. Also, something about the low end white-noise cancellation built into each amp that allows you to push speakers without breaking them regardless of wattage. I was skeptical of that remark. Any thoughts on these?

Since I'm still doing the research, I don't have any monoblock amps. However, I have switched to multichannel audio output from my soundcard into my Onkyo receiver. Everything sounds great and I can now listen to multichannel encoded audio files and get so much more out of my games. Up until then, I ran everything through optical SPDIF, but it's only capable of stereo unless encoded properly in a Dolby format. I'm happy with that much so far. What I haven't figured out is if I run the DTS audio track on supported movies I get no sound whatsoever. Is the computer still trying to keep the DTS track unencoded for a receiver? Is there any way for the computer to decode the DTS and output to multichannel? I would hate to have a HTPC incapable of DTS!

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention I want to run everything through Windows Media Center on Windows 7 (I am aware that there are some software dvd players capable of decoding and outputing DTS over multichannel, but there's no interface to run it all by remote like WMC.)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I run WMC on Windows 7 through my HTPC via HDMI into my Pioneer receiver. I get all the surround formats except DPL IIz. I use Total Media Theater for DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD and it passes all recorded sound fields to my Pioneer without a hitch. I also get a nice 5.1 audio from my HD channels. So I just bypassed the sound card and used the HDMI off the video card. The nice thing about Total Media Theater is that it has a plug-in for WMC that will drop you out of Media Center to play the disc and then back into Media Center when you are done watching a movie. I haven't tried my XBox via HDMI into my receiver but I am sure it would work and give my all the sound fields.

I never had any luck with the multi-channel out from my sound card into my receiver so I have been using HDMI and it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks