What's new

Multichannel Amps... (1 Viewer)

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Which is better for 5 channel amplication? TWO (2) amplifiers MCA20 & MCA30 or ONE (1) MCA50? The reason for the confusion/newbie question is because separates are better than ALL in ONE receivers so consequently TWO Amps are better than one???! :frowning:
Thanks in advance!
-Alex

JackS

Supporting Actor
Can't answer which is better. It probably depends on the room you have in your setup, personal prefferences, etc. I prefer 1,2 or even 3 channel amps or combos because I believe their a little more versatile .The versitility as you change and possibly expand could (in time) become very important.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Either way you should be satisfied. Amps are designed to do one thing and thats power speakers. In the case of the MCA series I think their 2,3,5 channel amps should all perform with similar characteristics. Though if you go with seperate amps for each speaker or fron/rear soundstage then you won't run into the problem the amp not having enough power to drive all the speakers at one time.

Kevin

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Does anyone own a Carver AV705x? It is a 5 ch. THX certified amp at 125w per channel. It has ecxllent reviews at audioreview.com but those reviews aren't always dependable. If anyone has please offer your opinion about it's performance in HT and sound quality. Thanks.

Dalton

JackS

Supporting Actor
Kevin makes a good point. I would look at amps with dual mono amps in 2 channel, or tri-mono in 3 channel amps. This guarantees equal power available to all channels at all times. Dalton- although I've never heard the Carver in question, I did own a 500t back in the mid '80s and it was a very good amp and wish I still had it. Carvers have always been a little different than everything else. the carver I had was 250w/ch x2, and weighed probably 30 pounds or so. This may be more common now, but at the time it was the lightest amp and one of the most powerful I had ever owned. If Carver is the same now as it was then, it should be excellent.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
For my 7.1 system I use 3 A200x3 Acurus amps and I use one amp for all left speakers, a second amp for all right speakers and then the center is driven by the third amp, leaving me with two extra channels for future growth like bass shakers or additional future channels. This layout gives me an independent amp for each of the most important channels (Front R, L, C) - I don't have the resources to compare it with a 5-channel + 2-channel or other combinations but I am happy with the the approach.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks for input on Carver Jack. I have actually heard the 500t(a friend has one). Very nice amp. I have read only good things about the 705. The one i am looking at was built in 98 and is in perfect working order. I am looking forward to hearing it:)

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info guys, so basically there is NO difference in performance then between the 2, 3, or 5 channel amps... Meaning SONICALLY they should all sound the same?

Kevin, I hear you loud and clear!!! I'm going to be using this a 7.1 sound system so rest assured NOT all of my speakers will be powered by the MCA50!!! I'm thinking of getting

MCA30 for front soundstage:

Mirage OM-5 and OM-C2

MCA50 for rear soundstage:

Mirage OM-R2 (Side)

Mirage OM-R2 (Rears)

Thanks again to you ALL, for your input!

-Alex

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton,

I've not heard the Carver 705, but I have a lot of listening experience with the Carver 806 (6x133 Watts). It is an excellent amp, and my current HT amp. I've heard this amp driving Snell type A (including the huge subs), Revel Studios, M20s, S30s and C30, Paradigm 100s, SVS 16-46, and a bunch more that don't come to mind right now. Great in every case, even at very high levels. These are a bit hard to find, but can be had for $650 - $800, a bargain IMO.

Cheers,

Chris

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Chris,

Thanks for your input on Carver. I think I am going to give the 705 a chance. Looking forward to hearing it.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Have you considered the Rotel RMB-1075 ?

Great 5 channel amp. It needs a new power cord to get the most from it though. Once its replaced its a price/performance bargain.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Mark,

I have tried Rotel but they make my Klipsch speakers sound a little bright for my taste. I am considering Rotel for a B&W music setup down the road though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks