What's new

Multi vs 2ch? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
On true DPL stuff. DTSNeo:6, DPLII, DPLIIx, Logic 7 and some others can really make an amazing differnce in approaching DTS and DD material.

I have also been finding recently that with older laserdiscs there truly stereo only, that on some titles DTSNeo:6 will actually give something that starts to approach DPL stuff surround performance.

So since it's all preference, and you have all these great processing modes, you may as well try them, and if you like them, you sure as well can go a head and use them.

As for the Center / No Center debate.... Results will definetly vary. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

What I mean is, the added SPL and dispersion comes from more air moved/surface area, not just from having a ton of power and efficient speakers for a given room. To achieve that same SPL, you will actually need more power to do it with 2 speakers vs 3, ear blistering or not.

I agree, a 2ch amp will likely always outperform a similar quality/price 5ch. That's why a good integrated almost always sounds better than the typical receiver.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

This reasoning isn't quite sound. They're typically used to enhance ambience and, as such, are employed in a subtle role. It doesn't detract from their importance in reproducing the source as intended. By the same token, the fact that a soundtrack only contains a certain percentage of bass doesn't detract from the importance of a subwoofer.

I enjoy MC music greatly, but the best sound I've heard by far was at the recent HE Expo in NYC in rooms using two channel systems sourced from analog (vinyl) and amplified by tubes. Far from the soupy, distorted, euphonic sound folks assume from that description...it was a most convincing illusion of live performance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For the most part I agree with Victor (listen in the native format) with a few exceptions. I much prefer multi-ch in most cases but when listening to two ch music I like 5ch stereo (and sometimes PLII) with the center turned off. But some two ch music sounds wonderful in full PLII or Neo:6. It's really trial and error on a case by case basis. As for movies, the more speakers the better, although movie mixes can be as bad as poorly done music mixes. Usually too much (sometimes everything) coming from the center ch. As for top quality 2 ch set-up over a decent multi one, if I had spent my entire budget on the best 2 ch I could afford, I know that in a few a weeks I would be back at the store buying the other three, then I'd really be in trouble! Accuracy? Don't think I'm looking for that. As John Garcia said, multi ch really isn't technically accurate for music but I prefer it anyway. Yet another of my quirky preferences (bookshelves on the floor! Blastfamy!!). I guess it's all a matter of accepting compromise and coming up with a combination of things that works best for you. After all, how many of us will ever wind up with a system that's perfect for us? Too many choices, not enough time and money:frowning: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks