What's new

Multi Region Pal/NTSC DVD Player (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks for the help Jeff!
I was looking for a way to open up other regin DVD's without buying an all region player.
I have a growing soft spot for Asian cinema, and world cinema in general.
Excellent movies and a whole different perspective on filmmaking!

Jay Blair

Second Unit
OK, I got the UK special edition of Deer Hunter today from Amazon.uk. Nice service from Amazon, ordered on 8/31, shipped 9/1, arrived 9/8. Another disc I ordered from a company in the Midwest also arrived today but it shipped out two weeks ago by media mail.

Now for the bad news. I have a large collection of R2-R4 DVDs and the Deer Hunter is the first disc to defeat the Toshiba SD3900. I haven't given up all hope and will keep trying, but none of the tricks I've learned work. I was only able to get the long conversation (over 20 minutes) with Cimino on disc two to play. I could not access anything else on disc 2 and could not play the film on disc 1. I had no problem playing everything on both discs on my chipped JVC.

Sorry for the bad news.

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jay. I feared the worst and it is here.

So the 3900 won't play Bend it Like Beckham, Deer Hunter SE, In Search of Shakespeare, Dog Soldiers, Deathwatch, Preditor SE. All Region 2 PAL.

My Tosh 3900 went back yesterday to the good folks at Amazon, and a Philips 272 has been ordered in its place. More later.

Other thread elsewhere: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...62#post3964662

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Update-

Got the 727 delivered today and it is SWEET! Plays everything I've got, great picture, surround effects, picture controls, etc. It is the one to get. And no mod needed. I love it. Thanks, EmmanuelM!

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I just placed an order for the Phillips 727, and then an order for X-Men 2 from Amazon.co.jp (X-Men2 comes out tomorrow in Japan). I hope they both arrive around the same time, can't wait to try out the region hack. Now to order some Ghibli anime titles...

Aaron

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
This (the Philips 727) is the new champ, I guess. :star: It is in my book. I'm even contemplating buying a second machine to replace my still very nice Zenith that is NOT region free.

I got a Daewoo S151 from Sam's Club that said Pal/Ntsc Playback right on the box for $39.98. It plays all of my R2 & R4 dvds without having to do anything. it makes a great 2nd region free player, & you can't beat the price. I also have a jvc region free player.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jay, Is the Toshiba picture noticeably better on the Toshiba compared to the JVC...? I own a chipped 600, and while the FILM mode truly is excellent, the VIDEO mode looks pretty bad, (the JVC'c achilles heel)
Also is it progressive scan..??

Thanx!! D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks