What's new

Multi-Device Setup with Headset? (1 Viewer)

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
Hello,

I have been meaning to ask this for quite some time. My goal to is to "channel" all of my device's audio that can independly send audio to up to 2 sources: the main monitor and headset. I would mute the speaker audio when wanting to use the headset for the audio. Video would remain on the monitor that it was originally meant for. Having the ability to adjust the volume of each source independently would be useful but not necessarily needed.

I have some ideas of my own but I was wondering what the general community thought. I don't have a price limit I am just looking for some possible ideas.

Here is what I want to integrate:

[*](upcoming) PS4
[*]PS3 (up to 2)
[*]Xbox 360
[*]Wiii
[*]​Windows 8.1 Laptop (HP Envy)
[*]Android 4.1 Galaxy Note II
[*]Nintendo 3DS
[*]Happuage HDPVR 2
[/list]I am currently using a RCA only headset but am planning to upgrade to digital once i have some better details about PS4 compatibility. With that in mind I was thinking about using component out for the Xbox 360, AV multi-out for the PS3's and daisy chaining the left and right audio together through the RCA input of the headset. Audio and video for the PS3 could either come out of HDMI or use component out (thinking about the PVR). The Wii could be connected similarly I think. I see potential problems with this though: first I would probably need a component switch for the video, second I may notice some audio distortion because of the many inputs (maybe not), third I don't have any way to adjust individual audio except by the sources (which can be a hassle).

I imagine something similar for digital audio would work.

The mobile devices could be connected in the same kind of way I support. I also don't necessarily want the Note II and 3DS to be connected at the same time and I was thinking that running headphone converter to either RCA/Optical from the connecting bridge to where I work/play. All I would have to do then is connect whatever device I wanted at that particular time.

I did think about possibly using a receiver of some sort but I don't have any experience with that. This system is complicated so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wanted to do something similar to this in the past?

P.S. I am aware of my previous post regarding my faulty HDMI port on my TV. Please don't use that topic to influence this system.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Denon X4000 would accomplish this easily. You could use the zone 2 and 3 pre-outs to headphones. Since the AVR can send digital audio to the zones, this isn't complicated.Also...every AVR solves your TV input problem.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
So just to be clear it could send audio to the monitor and to the headset at the same time? Or would I need to switch between them? I would prefer not to manually switch inputs.

Like I said I don't have a lot of experience with receivers so any more information is appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
THE monitor with an AVR does nothing with the audio. The receiver sends it to speakers. Zone 2/3 would be used with headphones.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
As in "monitor" I was referring to where the outputs would go since a monitor (TV or otherwise) could handle both audio and video. That wasn't the real point of my question though which was, "Would the audio be able to go to both the headset and other output?" I'm guessing yes?

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
I appreciate your responses but you seem to think I know about AVR's while I have said a couple of times that I don't know much about them. I will look into the Denon thanks you again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I listened to what you wanted. You don't know about AVR. That means you don't know the features you need.1. You need multi-zone. Your headphones will be the zones.2. You will be connecting most things HDMI. Your zones need to have access to the HDMI audio(not all AVR have that ability).3. An AVR solves the issue with the HDMI on your current TV.4. While "most" things are HDMI you need HDMI upconversion for what isn't.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
Which is exactly what I wanted, thank you. It's just because I don't know much about AVR's I wouldn't know that the AVR would simultaneous signals or not. I guess what I'm saying is explaining what a zone is and how it helps would help beginners more than saying you need A, B and C alone.

Anyways I did have a remaining question. What about HDCP? Does the AVR output non-HDCP or would I need to use component out to the HDPVR 2? I noticed that it lists 1 component output that I could use instead.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What content are you trying to record? You might have to double up your connections. But knowing what you are doing, it is easier to find a solution.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
Gameplay. The Xbox records over HDMI but the PS3 without stripping HDCP needs to record over component. I could probably use the component input I notice it has two of those as well. I would only need one component input as I only record on one of the PS3's.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is what I would do. The only question will be if the AVR can do simultaneous HDMI and component video output.

That is probably not even mentioned in the manual...either way. You'd just have to hook it up and try. IF not, your recording device probably has the ability to pass signal while recording it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
My capture card does have both HDMI and component in so I could directly hook up the component PS3 to it and switch between that and HDMI. As an alternative I was thinking about a component to HDMI converter for the PS3 that requires. Though I am not sure how well this would work.

A fast search revealed this when I was thinking about it: http://www.amazon.ca/Component-video-YPbPr-HDMI-Converter/dp/B003U7LKUE

Thank you for the other link. When I get around to it I was also thinking about posting a connection diagram and get your input and verify that it would work. I haven't done that yet though.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
My ultimate goal would be to have the capture card either between the sources and the TV or have it exist alongside the TV. I assume I could do the second option right? Have the AVR output to the TV and the capture card at the same time? Or was that only for audio?

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
I wouldn't need it for the 4520 but if I did not get that AVR using the converter for that single system I thought would be better price-wise.

Over HDMI the PS3 has HDCP. The only way you can record PS3 gameplay is by either splitting the HDMI to DVI and Optical (using a DVI and Optical to HDMI converter) or by using component. Component is easier and less hassle which is why I was thinking about the converter for any other AVR.

What I was asking is if I could output 2 HDMI sources: one to the TV and one to the capture using the Denon or with AVR's in general. Is simultaneous output to 2 HDMI outputs possible with AVR's in general (or specifically the Denon you mention)?

I wouldn't mind running through the capture card first before going the TV but I was just wondering if this is a possibility. This way the capture card could malfunction but I would maintain a signal on the TV. I am just not sure if that would work.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 4520 has two simultaneous HDMI. A multimode HDMI and a component.You might download the manual to confirm this, but...If you send the PS3 to the 4520 over component...that gives you 4 video outputs. The component can go video capture. There is zero point in having the component/HDMI converter.

Superskull85

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessie
As an update I will probably get the Denon you mentioned. In the short term I did a quick analog workaround to get some of my devices to my headset. This was pretty cheap so that I could save for the more expensive receiver.

I have an additional question though. Some headsets don't have a detachable boom mic and I want my mic on the right of my head. What I have done now is just reversed the left and right RCA inputs. However I may look into a digital headset after the receiver so my question is (in general) would I be able to reverse the left and right audio using the receiver through an optical out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks