What's new

Multi-channel networked audio switch? (1 Viewer)

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm looking for the lowest cost option to power my whole home audio system. I have 10 rooms with 2 speakers in each, all running to a single audio panel with RCA audio connectors. I've looked at an 8 zone amp, but it looks like that will run me about $2500. I'm looking for alternatives.

Idea - Multi-channel networked audio switch?
Does something exist where I can control which channel to power (one at a time), either from a computer or iphone over the network?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help to know what this "single panel with RCA connectors" is.Cause we can't help, at all, without knowing what it is.And $2500 is about right. Whole home audio is not, and never, ever, ever will be cheap.

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I don't know what else to call them other than RCA connectors. I've uploaded a photo of the panel, maybe that will help. Basically, it's just speaker wire ran to a panel with a connector on the end. Nothing fancy. There is a resistor-based volume control in-line to control the volume. Uploaded a picture of one of those as well.

View attachment 2641
View attachment 2640

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I don't have $2500 to spend on this project, nor do i think it's worth that much. Surely there are other solutions than powering every speaker, all the time.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 64
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 53

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
hmm.. i thought binding posts were where you stick your speaker wire in the side and then twist it down tight. These you have to actually make up a banana plug and plug them in, like i've done. Anyhow, no biggy...

By live, do you mean powered? Each one is literally just wire running to the back of a speaker, no power. Only 10 of them actually run to speakers. There are 2 more rooms that are wired, but no speakers.

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
nevermind, you're right about the binding posts. I just looked up RCA connectors and that's not what these are.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Live" meant wired at the other end with a speaker...So, you've got 12 sets(10 in use) of binding posts ready for anywhere from...2 channel amp ran through a 12-way speaker switch for 12(or 10) sets of speakers. Or two 2 channel amps running through a "2 source 12-way" speaker switch...Or three 2 channel amps running through a "3 source 12-way"...And so on...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 12HP is a two source. So, you could get either...Two 2 channel amps or one 4 channel and...Feed your AVR to one set(two channels) and leave the other "open" for connecting an iPad/phone/cd player, or whatever else you wanted.That way if you were doing a superbowl party you could choose to feed the game "wherever you wanted" and feed something else "everywhere else"...

skyguy04

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Wo, thanks! So there is no networked switch out there that you can operate from your iPhone, huh? Doh...

It looks like my only options are pay around $400-500 for a 2-channel amp + speaker selector or $2500 for an 8 channel amp (or probably a ton more for a 12 channel amp). Correct?

Thanks again for your help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are networked(actually RS 232 that "takes network and converts it") speaker switches...But they cost more than a 12 channel amp.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Put it this way. The last 14 zone, 5 source "internet controlled" system I designed...$750 for my design$2300-ish install($140 an hour, included "training the owner")$27,000 in equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks