What's new

MULHOLLAND DRIVE (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Studio Canal has released Mulholland Drive under their Collection series in Region "B". The Blu-ray looks great big improvement over the DVD with lots of detail giving the picture a 3 dimensional look. Wow Naomi Watts looks fantastic very attractive. Rumored to be released in region "A" later this year.

Video: 1080P/24
Region Code: B
Audio: English/French/Italian DTS HD Master
Subtitles: French/Italian/Dutch

The Blu-ray come in a special case that includes a booklet with some very nice still pictures of the actors as well as detail information about the production. Not sure if this booklet will be included with the rumored USA release. It is a nice addition hopefully it will be included.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Studio Canal do not hold the home video rights to Mulholland Drive in the U.S, Universal do.

There is strong evidence for an upcoming Criterion release.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd love a Criterion release of Mulholland Drive, but I'm still skeptical. Speculation ran rampant because they posted an image on their tumbler account, something they do for many movies they appeciate but don't have the rights to.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick

In place of "multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement", that link used to say "a copyright claim from The Criterion Collection and NBC/Universal" instead. That was back in 2012:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6185940&postcount=50827

Also, after the tumblr image was posted, they posted it on their Facebook page as well.

And they took no steps to correct Blu-ray.com when they basically announced that MD was coming from them.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I won't hold my breadth waiting for Criterion to release MULHOLLAND DRIVE. Hope it's soon. Some nudity in the theatrical film was visually censored -- a fake shadow imposed -- on the American DVD, whereas the StudioCanal edition in France left it intact. I hope we get the theatrical version when MULHOLLAND DRIVE comes to blu-ray. The film started as a 60-minute TV pilot which was never aired. Wouldn't it be nice if that were included as a supplement.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
The film started as a 60-minute TV pilot which was never aired. Wouldn't it be nice if that were included as a supplement.
Actually it started as a 2-hour TV pilot. The first cut was over 2-hours long without commercials, which was then cut to 88-minutes when the network balked at airing what would then be a 3-hour pilot with commercials added (of course, in the end they never aired it anyway). The 88-minute cut of the TV pilot version is available to those who wish the seek it out, and features some scene extensions and extra footage not included in the final theatrical release, including an additional scene with Robert Forster.

Vincent

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have been waiting a long time for this one on Blu, Region A.

Hopefully this Region B release will spur some development on a Region A release.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but in case they have not, TWIN PEAKS FIRE WALK WITH ME, LOST HIGHWAY, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, and INLAND EMPIRE are all out on Region Free Blus available from amazon.de (Germany).

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Does the German edition also leave it unblurred?

I have the US DVD and the blurring of Laura Harring's body parts was distracting and took me out of the movie for several minutes.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I cannot speak to the blurring as I just received these (ordered prior to the Criterion sort of announcement) - this MULHOLLAND DRIVE is a Concorde release but also has the StudioCanal logo so I imagine it is the same as the French. I believe I read Mr. Lynch gave his OK to the shadow/blur on the American DVD at (he said) the request of Ms. Harring. I would think the Criterion release might also shadow/blur if that is still the desire of Mr. Lynch/Ms. Harring as they seem to honor the director's input.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I feel the blurring is a bit like George Lucas going back and "fixing" the original trilogy.

I am gay, so I and not trying to get peek at Ms Harring nude for prurient reasons. The blurring was an afterthought, detracts from the scene, and was clumsily done. I know it was reportedly done because of the era of DVD freeze frame/screen shot ability and nudity being pulled out of context and posted at online celebrity nude sites, or folks Goggling "Laura Harring nude", but I want the film before Lynch "fixed" it to the inferior version.

If they wanted to obscure her nakedness, they should have done it while they shot the scene differently and not make it look like a part of the lens sudden got a smear of grease on it that reminds me that I am watching a film and pulls me out of how much the one character really wants the other. Ms Harring is stunning in that scene and the other character's desire is palpable in that shot...then the blur comes along and effs it up and reminds us that this was not filmed in Europe. ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I can answer my own quesiton now.

The German release has the "modestly blurring" applied to Laura Harring's nude scene.

Still a great film and well worth the import!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks