What's new

MST3K Volume 7 unveiled..... (2 Viewers)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well there been a update on the Satellite News (Offical site) on the box. They said that not only ASSIGNMENT: VENEZUELA included in the box, but it has the two shorts that came with it on the old video...Century 21 Calling and A Case of Spring Fever.

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well this was released a few days ago...anyone bought it yet? Mine is on the way from DDD.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
BEWARE:

"The Killer Shrews" is cut! The opening narration of the film itself is removed, per fans at the MST3K Review discussion board:

http://forrestcrow.proboards19.com/i...num=1114028989

Don't know why this was done as of yet, but I thought Rhino knew better than this. If you're going to release a cut episode, you gotta tell the customer ahead of time. I'm sick of this BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Apparently, the opening narration has some good riffs and is alluded to later in the ep by one of the SOL members who says something to the effect of "Wasn't this already covered in the opening narration?"

Edit: I updated the thread link to a better thread. This one has an .mp3 posted of what was cut.

Transcript of the missing footage here:

Narrator: Those who hunt by night will tell you, that the wildest and most vicious of all animals..."
Joel: "Are in Vegas?"
Narrator: "Is the Shrew!"
All: "A Shrew? Oh come on!" (chuckling)
Narrator: "... it feeds only by the dark of the moon"
Crow: "You just go with us on that one, okay?"
Narrator: "He must eat his own body weight..."
Servo: "Plus a delicous shake"
Narrator: "Or die"

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

what if 60 seconds were cut? 120 seconds? 5 minutes? At what point can we say Rhino is selling a defective product? Now.

(if this is true)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well, can anyone here confirm this?

Sorry but I'm getting the set anyway because there is just too much in there I want aside from 25 seconds or so of the Shrews episode (plus I have a pretty damn good S-VHS copy of the original Shrews broadcast copied onto DVD anyway).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"what if 60 seconds were cut? 120 seconds? 5 minutes? At what point can we say Rhino is selling a defective product? Now."

Assuming it's true, you can say they're selling an edited product right now because it is missing footage.

I don't care if that part is missing because as Kevin said, there is so much good on it that it's still worth it to get it. I'm not saying that everyone has to have that point of view but for me, I can live with missing 30 seconds.

The fact that it's missing footage at all is rather strange to me. I would have to assume it's just a dumb oversight on Rhino's part because it's not like it's a syndicated version (which doesn't exist) of the episode or anything. And they had to know that the hardcore MSTies, which make up the majority of their customers for the set, go over the discs with a fine tooth comb and anything missing would be noticed immediately.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's possible that the footage is missing due to the master tapes being damaged or something. I've noticed several episodes have some glitches from the tape source.

They could have asked around for a fan's S-VHS, but I doubt Rhino has the budget to really be that choosy about elements to use.

The Killer Shrews is almost 13 years old and the show originates from Digital Betamax, so I'm betting it's tape damage.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Well, can anyone here confirm this?

I can. But it's not like I thought that the MSTies over on the board were lying; they're very knowledgeable fans. It was one of them who has a DVD from a Comedy Central airing that realized the footage was missing.

I have my copy and am not boycotting Rhino. I think that's a really dumb idea. But I'm just dumbfounded as to how Rhino could be so stupid as to:

A) Cut a 30-second bit with nothing that would create a legal problem.
B) Not warn consumers that this was done and provide an explanation as to why.

I will boycott the hell out of them if they continue to make these amateur mistakes. Hell, all it takes is one actual fan of the f*ckin show on your production team to get it right. With some of these studios, you'd be hard pressed to find someone on the production team who actually seen the show prior to their company releasing it on DVD.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, Betamax was the old consumer format. The various professional flavors of Beta have been:

Beta
Beta SP
Beta SX
DigiBeta

1992 show? Probably Beta SP. SX and Digi didn't exist yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the KTMA and maybe even early CC eps were on 3/4". (Those are 3/4" tapes Frank is holding in the opening of CC episodes through season 6 or so.)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I spoke to Rhino about this yesterday when someone emailed me the information. They received the material from the licensor with the footage missing.

Gord

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

At the last official convention they were running episodes in two theaters 24-7 and they were using Beta Sp tapes for those.

--Ian

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Any idea if the corrected set will be put out in the stores or any online retailer selling the corrected one? I'll be in the States in July and was planning on picking this up; clearly I won't be able to take them up on the corrected disc offer...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gord. I just emailed "Dr. Rhino." Don't know if they plan on doing a disc swap or are just sending out corrected DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks