What's new

Mr. Robot - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well done again Josh for calling Eliot's situation. I just caught with the major cliffhanger at the end of this week's episode. In addition there is the question of who is calling the phone and why can't it be Tyrell calling from that particular location. Just what are the Dark Army doing and what do they want with Eliot? Do they still need him?

One thing about the prison scenes - just what do people think happened to the white supremacists? Did Leon (revealed to be part of the dark army) really fatally take them down or were they just taken out for the time being? I don't we'll see any more from them. I just did a quick search and saw an answer in this article:
http://www.slashfilm.com/mr-robot-season-2-twist-explained/
Sam Esmail verifies some answers that were revealed in that episode where we learned he was in prison.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Thoughts on the two musical cues from Back to the Future (there were at least two by my count...)? I need to think on this, but so far I'm unsure what to make of them.

Edit: three--I forgot The Ballad of Davey Crockett.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thoughts on the two musical cues from Back to the Future (there were at least two by my count...)? I need to think on this, but so far I'm unsure what to make of them.

Edit: three--I forgot The Ballad of Davey Crockett.
And I thought I'd be the only one here to have caught three songs since Davey is much less prominent than Night Train and Earth Angel in BTTF.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
And I thought I'd be the only one here to have caught three songs since Davey is much less prominent than Night Train and Earth Angel in BTTF.

The fourth BTTF song is "Time Bomb Town" (played in the cab). I totally missed this one the first time around.

So four references to BTTF1, and a previous reference (last episode) to BTTF2.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The fourth BTTF song is "Time Bomb Town" (played in the cab). I totally missed this one the first time around.
Good ears, I didn't even hear a song in the cab. As I'm sure you know, this is a two-parter and they were at least initially planned to air back to back so I imagine that next week's episode will have more BTTF songs. Fingers crossed for Johnny B. Goode and Back In Time. :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm trying to remember: were the songs heard in the same order in which they are played in BTTF? If so, perhaps their only implication is that Elliot has the movie playing in the background while he sleeps/lucid dreams, and the music is bleeding its way in. Though, that doesn't explain why some songs are in scenes in which Elliot does not appear (okay, maybe toss this theory).

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Is Tyrell real? Is he Elliot? That could explain the weirdness in the ep with Elliot and Tyrell's wife. Hell at this point, nothing could be real or this whole thing could be operating in an alternate universe.

I do think Elliot is operating more characters than just Mr. Robot. If this is based in reality and not some sci-fi world, people with split personality disorder rarely have just one alter ego. They have several to dozens. Maybe everyone is Elliot.

We're all Elliot - lol

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
^ I think Time Bomb Town is on the radio near the beginning of the movie so that would be before The Ballad Of Davey Crockett.

Thanks! It's been a few years since I've seen BTTF (I'm due for a re-watch, actually).

Somewhat related to "time," did you catch the repeat in the television news playing during the scene with Angela and the lawyer? After the brownout, the the news jumped back about 5 seconds and played again. I'm not sure if this is normal during a brownout in a digital/streamed television broadcast, or if it is...something.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Nothing? Bueler, Bueler? Did no one watch the finale? Let's discuss! I need help interpreting what I watched - lol.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched the finale--just haven't had the time to post anything! My quick comment is that it was really strong: answered a lot of questions while raising new ones.

I look forward to reading what you all thought; I'll post some of my thoughts later.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was slightly disappointed with the finale because instead of really hitting a climax that I thought they had built to, they mostly just set up stories for next year. That being said, this show is still far and away one of the best things on TV.

The scenes with Darlene and Dom were excellent so I'm glad they're keeping Dom and the FBI firmly on everyone's ass. I loved seeing the diabolical side of Joanna and I was glad to see that the non-Mr. Robot part of Elliot doesn't want to blow up a building filled with people.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was slightly disappointed with the finale because instead of really hitting a climax that I thought they had built to, they mostly just set up stories for next year.
That was my feeling as well.

I'm still endlessly intrigued from beginning to end of every episode, but this season has been opaque to a degree bordering on contemptuous of its audience. While the finale did clarify some things, it didn't have that big climactic jolt that ending the world did at the start of the first season finale. And because Tyrell Wellick necessarily had to be hidden from the audience until the very end of the season, he came away feeling pretty two-dimensional. Likewise Angela's newfound devotion to the Dark Army's cause; we don't know what Whiterose told her, so don't have sufficient information to judge her thought processes.

My favorite part of the finale was the post-credits scene. It was a relief to see that Mobley and Trenton managed to make a break for it after all, and it was fascinating to see Trenton outside the context of her familial role. And then Leon shows up, who kicked ass in most impressive fashion on Elliot's behalf in prison to earn points with the Dark Army. Presumably Mobley and Trenton are loose ends that the Dark Army would like to tie up. So is Leon there to eliminate them from the equation? Is he there on Elliot's behalf? Or does he have another agenda altogether? I don't know, but I know I'll be back next season to find out.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I still think that the real Tyrell is dead and the one Elliot is seeing is in his head. This Tyrell is acting very weird, his speech pattern and choice of words is just off; "I love him!" And Tyrell shot him the same way Mr. Robot shot him earlier in the season, i.e. it's in his head.

The plan with the UPS system was brilliant. I wonder if it would really work? I had to google what kind of batteries are in a ups and they do have both sealed and vented lead acid batteries. I think that the ones Elliot is targeting would have to be vented.

It looks like Mobley and Trenton are gonners. It was interesting though that Leon said "Do you have the time?" That is a Whiterose thing.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't look good for Mobley and Trenton, especially if Leon overheard them.

They amount of information the FBI had on FSociety and so forth was quite impressive.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Binged season 2 yesterday. Umm... somewhat unsatisfying, probably feel better once season 3 gets here, due to the slow slow slow burn from season 2.

Feels like Fight Club meets hackers, hopefully the dismount next season will be good. (I'd be cool with it if it at least reaches some climax in season 3, and changes course for season 4)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks