What's new

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - worth seeing in theaters? (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, it seems like Dreamworks does not get much love here.Anyway, I was wondering, what others think of the latest Dreamworks film? I am debating whether to go see it in theaters, or just wait for Netflix.I did enjoy the segments on TV show, though not as entertaining as Fractured Fairy Tales, if that matters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've seen it and, as far as Dreamworks animated films go, I would say it is mid-tier. It's not bad, but it's not fantastic either. I thought the film was good in that they managed to stay fairly true to the characters and the core of the original series as far as travelling through history goes. There was a fair amount of bad puns, similar to the original series. Some of the humour worked but, oddly, a lot of what should have been funny sort of fell flat; although, some of that could have been a function of there only being three or four other people in the theatre with me and nobody really laughed out loud at much of the film.

There was the usual body function humour that writers of "childrens" films seem to stoop to when they are struggling to come up with something truly witty, but still it had its moments with the history trips, which were the best part of the film for me. The framework of Peabody adopting Sherman was an odd choice, but it didn't kill the film for me as I realize that they had to come up with something that could support a longer form of storytelling than a 4 minute short has to rely on. Other people may find it hard to accept the idea of a dog adopting a kid.

I don't regret seeing it at the theatre, but it strikes me as a film that wouldn't really be missing anything if a person decided to skip a theatrical viewing. The problem is that I'm not a very good reviewer when it comes to critiquing films, so me recommending to stay away from a theatrical viewing should be taken with a grain of salt.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I think Edwin is spot-on with this one. I took all of my kids to see this one, and our consensus is that it was solidly GOOD, but not even close to GREAT. I have recommended to all of my friends with any interest in seeing this to save themselves some money and rent it when it comes out on blu. If you're a fan of the material, it's definitely worth seeing at some point, but not necessarily worth the cost of taking a family to see it in the theater.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
We took our 6 year old to see this at the cinema and he enjoyed it. I thought it was the best animated film since we started taking him to the cinema and much better than two recent visits to see The Croods and Wreck-it Ralph.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I was facing that question myself (one more week till Captain America, and I just had to get out to a theater), until I realized that Dreamworks now has an exclusive deal with Netflix, and--just like The Croods and Turbo--we're almost guaranteed to see the 3D version on Instant Netflix in fall, for "free".
So I decided to sit tight and wait.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Judging from the responses, I take it that it is definitely not at the level of "How to Train Your Dragon" or "Kung Fu Panda". Still, it does sound like a fun film.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mike Ouellet said:
I was gonna take my 11 year old to see this but now that Rio 2 is out maybe I'll juts take him to see that LOL.
Real Dreamworks vs. Fake Dreamworks? It's like airline food vs. hospital food, but if you're that intent on punishing him for something, always better to stick with the real. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
Real Dreamworks vs. Fake Dreamworks? It's like airline food vs. hospital food, but if you're that intent on punishing him for something, always better to stick with the real. ;)
Is there any animated film made in the last 2 decades that you actually like?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks