What's new

Mr. Finn- Are we getting more TODD-AO blurays in the future? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Finn

short answer: yes...

While we can't give specific titles at this time, we are working on bringing these classics to Blu-ray, some earlier than others. Thanks for your continued support and passion!

Thank you sir.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg Fantastic news - thanks for sharing!

that's the studio's standard answer. yeah they're coming "some sooner than others" look for them over the next seven years

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know - but it's better than the dreaded "no plans to do a release at this time" (which does occasionally come up with certain titles).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The audience for these films is getting older and some are starting to die off - what is Fox waiting for??? It's not like they're saving them so they'll be something to release in the future. Now is pretty much when they should release them.

Oh wait, it's not a major anniversary year yet - let's wait until it turns 60 then we'll sell more (by that time your audience will be gone and you'll sell less) Young people could care less if it celebrates an anniversary.

Instead of "50th Year Anniversary Edition" how about "[COLOR= #ff0000]Meticulously Restored Edition[/COLOR]"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
In general I agree with what GM says above, but I read the studio guy's comments differently. I think they really are working on them and some will be coming out sooner rather than later. Time will tell...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Instead of "50th Year Anniversary Edition" how about "[COLOR= #ff0000]Meticulously Restored Edition[/COLOR]"

I'm all for that in theory - the problem is (and this isn't the fault of film restorers but more a marketing fault) is that the term "restore" has been taken from something that was once very specific and now applied to almost anything. What someone like Robert Harris does - that's restoring a film. But unfortunately, many studios will put "restored" on the DVD/BD package when what they really mean is that it's a new scan from the negative, or a new encoding of a previously existing digital master. I think the public has become somewhat skeptical of what "restored" is supposed to mean due to the term being overused and wrongly used on so many releases. And that's a shame; it allows the public to be misinformed and sold an inferior product at times, and it also shortchanges the brilliant work that film restorers like Robert Harris do. I wish there was an accepted standard among marketing people for how these terms should and shouldn't be used.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Please, I wasn't expecting any title announcements. I'm just saying "don't get too excited" Warner Bros said they were working on both "The Devils" and "Show Boat - 1936 version) but that was over five years ago (maybe more)

If he said some of the Todd-AO films are coming this fall, then yeah, you could get excited

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

If he said some of the Todd-AO films are coming this fall, then yeah, you could get excited

You're really telling other people what they can and can't get excited about? What possible difference could it make if others want to get excited about a benign announcement?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by JohnMor

You're really telling other people what they can and can't get excited about? What possible difference could it make if others want to get excited about a benign announcement?

In fairness, I don't think he was lecturing people as to what they should or shouldn't get excited about. I, for one, took his comments as a cautionary warning to temper our excitement over a vague announcement so that we aren't disappointed when we don't have these titles in our hands by Christmas, that's all.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
We asked for some information about the coming titles from Mr. Finn and he answered within his confinements. We do know that they are working on some titles and Digital Bits yesterday confirmed that more Rogers & Hammerstein are coming in 2012. Of course no titles and not a firm date. I am at least happy to know that they are not forgotten and appreciate any information, no matter how small, that Mr. Finn can offer. And we do know that he reads the HTF.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Will Krupp In fairness, I don't think he was lecturing people as to what they should or shouldn't get excited about. I, for one, took his comments as a cautionary warning to temper our excitement over a vague announcement so that we aren't disappointed when we don't have these titles in our hands by Christmas, that's all.

Thanks Will, it's nice not to be attacked on this forum once in a while

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Thanks Will, it's nice not to be attacked on this forum once in a while

You weren't being attacked on this forum because I along with the other administrators won't allow such attacks on any HTF member.

Crawdaddy

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
It would be great if Fox would come out with Blu-ray series called ROADSHOW and include theirs and the MGM owned titles that played roadshow engagements.  Make sure the release has the entire roadshow experience from the overture to the exit music.  Create a short documentary on the history of the roadshow film from the silent era up to the demise of it in the early 70's.  Also create a making of documentary for the film with an emphasis on the release history of it. Some of the films release history is as interesting as the history of making the film, such as Star! Hello Dolly, Doctor Dolittle, The King & I, Cleopatra, Hawaii, Star!, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Hallelujah Trail, Exodus, The Great Escape and others would all fit in to this series and have a release every four months, just as a roadshow title would be released.  Just a suggestion.
Great idea IF they get someone involved who knows how roadshows should be handled...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Josh Steinberg said:
I'm all for that in theory - the problem is (and this isn't the fault of film restorers but more a marketing fault) is that the term "restore" has been taken from something that was once very specific and now applied to almost anything.  What someone like Robert Harris does - that's restoring a film.  But unfortunately, many studios will put "restored" on the DVD/BD package when what they really mean is that it's a new scan from the negative, or a new encoding of a previously existing digital master.  I think the public has become somewhat skeptical of what "restored" is supposed to mean due to the term being overused and wrongly used on so many releases.  And that's a shame; it allows the public to be misinformed and sold an inferior product at times, and it also shortchanges the brilliant work that film restorers like Robert Harris do.  I wish there was an accepted standard among marketing people for how these terms should and shouldn't be used.
Very good point. Studios seem to have seized onto this word as a marketing ploy without any understanding for what it really means. "Newly Remastered in HD " should be a given when a movie is released on BRD but so often that is not the case, and it's why I stopped re-buying favorite movies when the BRD comes out - often they aren't much - if at all - better than the DVD. BluRay is supposed to be an upgrade, but often the BRD is quite lackluster compared to the previous DVD. PS: mastering from a 65mm negative (for a movie released in 70mm) is still quite rare as there weren't that many movies shot that way, and there hasn't been many places that could transfer from that format (or do it well). If it was on the packaging that a movie was actually transferred in HD from 65mm, that would get my attention. And hopefully no more credit mistakes like the ones on the DVD covers of Hello, Dolly! and Doctor Dolittle.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Picking up on this a bit late.

The point that needs to be made is that they look the way that they were designed to look.

They do not look "okay."

They look correct.

All three films could have been photographed in Todd-AO, and would have looked, if not wrong for the specific production, totally different.

RAH

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
I would love to see the TODD-AO productions make it to blu ray. The idea of roadshow series is a great idea. If only FOX would do something like this. I remember seeing SOUTH PACIFIC and CLROPATRA in TODD-AO during reserved seat engagements in St. Louis. I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC in New York at the Rivoli when I was a teen and it took my breath away. So much so that I went back to see it again that very same week. What was one of the taglines for this process? Something like 'you'll see ALL the show in TODD-AO." I think that was it.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
jseabough said:
I would love to see the TODD-AO productions make it to blu ray. The idea of roadshow series is a great idea. If only FOX would do something like this. I remember seeing SOUTH PACIFIC and CLROPATRA in TODD-AO during reserved seat engagements in St. Louis. I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC in New York at the Rivoli when I was a teen and it took my breath away. So much so that I went back to see it again that very same week. What was one of the taglines for this process? Something like 'you'll see ALL the show in TODD-AO." I think that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks