What's new

MPI Press Release: Dark Shadows The Complete Original Series (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Thanks BRYAN the sticker came right off!

SVIKKI : That is really odd I would ask to speak to a supervisor or have someone look into the issue ASAP. Esp if they charged you already.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
d38530ec_darkshadowsthefirstyear.jpeg

Here is a photo of the cover to "Dark Shadows: The First Year" (2006) book that I am hoping to find. I have done many searches on the internet and have come up with nothing other than the "other" different cover version of this title that is out there.
I have purchased copies of "The Dark Shadows Almanac: 30th Anniversary Tribute ", "Dark Shadows Companion: 25th Anniversary Collection"
and "Return To Collinwood" with thanks to advice from Scott and Mark! I also just pulled out my copy of "Scrapbook Memories Of Dark Shadows" from 1986 and have started to re-read it again. It's already answered a question I was wondering about in watching the actual episodes from their beginning. I was wondering why KLS's character of "Maggie" had such short hair in the first episode and then it changed to the longer length I am used to seeing her in, and in the book she explains how Dan Curtis preferred her natural long dark red hairstyle over the short blonde wig she was wearing in the first episode and simply had her lose the wig with no on-air explanation. Course the color thing was obviously lost on me with it being B&W. LOL
I am now up to episode 36 on Disc 5 and thoroughly enjoying the show. David Henesy continues to impress me with his acting for such a young age on a daily "live" soap. He has managed to convey a creepy/spookiness to his character of David with just a look into the camera and is quite the disturbed,evil, and shrewd little child, doing all he could to cover up his own tracks...I was surprised at the lengths he went to. His acting especially surprised me in one scene in Burke Devlin's apartment where he suddenly compares Burke to the Devil ala a Sideshow/Circus Ringmaster with a boisterous speech. This kid is pretty versatile and impressive with his acting at times.
And I am still wondering exactly who or what Victoria saw in the doorway to the parlor during the storm. Roger said it was probably him, but as she says, nobody responded to her asking "who's there?"... maybe, dare I say, it was a ghost? I've been waiting for the spookiness to kick up a notch!
And then there is also paternity questions for at least two of the characters. Love this show!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
cherisland said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/850279/width/140/height/181
Here is a photo of the cover to "Dark Shadows: The First Year" (2006) book that I am hoping to find. I have done many searches on the internet and have come up with nothing other than the "other" different cover version of this title that is out there.
I have purchased copies of "The Dark Shadows Almanac: 30th Anniversary Tribute ", "Dark Shadows Companion: 25th Anniversary Collection"
and "Return To Collinwood" with thanks to advice from Scott and Mark! I also just pulled out my copy of "Scrapbook Memories Of Dark Shadows" from 1986 and have started to re-read it again. It's already answered a question I was wondering about in watching the actual episodes from their beginning. I was wondering why KLS's character of "Maggie" had such short hair in the first episode and then it changed to the longer length I am used to seeing her in, and in the book she explains how Dan Curtis preferred her natural long dark red hairstyle over the short blonde wig she was wearing in the first episode and simply had her lose the wig with no on-air explanation. Course the color thing was obviously lost on me with it being B&W. LOL
I am now up to episode 36 on Disc 5 and thoroughly enjoying the show. David Henesy continues to impress me with his acting for such a young age on a daily "live" soap. He has managed to convey a creepy/spookiness to his character of David with just a look into the camera and is quite the disturbed,evil, and shrewd little child, doing all he could to cover up his own tracks...I was surprised at the lengths he went to. His acting especially surprised me in one scene in Burke Devlin's apartment where he suddenly compares Burke to the Devil ala a Sideshow/Circus Ringmaster with a boisterous speech. This kid is pretty versatile and impressive with his acting at times.
And I am still wondering exactly who or what Victoria saw in the doorway to the parlor during the storm. Roger said it was probably him, but as she says, nobody responded to her asking "who's there?"... maybe, dare I say, it was a ghost? I've been waiting for the spookiness to kick up a notch!
And then there is also paternity questions for at least two of the characters. Love this show!!
Cherisland,
Congratulations on your purchases. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)
I too appreciate David Henesy's acting. There are a couple of times -- it was during the Phoenix story line which you haven't gotten to yet -- where he sounds very much like Patty McCormack (chills!) from The Bad Seed. My daughter observed this when we were watching that particular story line many months ago.
Speaking of child actors in the series, we were watching nos. 639-640 last night, in which both David and Amy Jennings have a considerable amount of air time as they get to know one another and begin to explore the west wing of the Great House. I was curious why David Henesy and Denise Nickerson were allowed (legally) to have so much air time. Were the child labor laws not in effect (or perhaps non-existent) at this time, or was it because the two of them were old enough to be given more air time? I'm not complaining, as they have great chemistry together. I was just curious, given what we hear and read about air time and child actors today.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Just saw the first four collections in the new standard size cases at Costco for $19 each. It looks like that may be the new price point when on sale over the more standard $25 price point they usually can be found for a couple of times a year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
For interested fans who may not get correspondence or various newsletters from Dark Shadows Journal Online (from Stuart Manning)
Dear Dark Shadows fans
* Dark Shadows News Updates
It's now only a little over three weeks before the new Dark Shadows movie hits cinemas, and the Dark Shadows News Page blog has been updated constantly with dispatches about the project. Recent posts include unseen photos from the film, previews of Danny Elfman's orchestral score, press coverage and much more!
And the classic Dark Shadows haven't been neglected either, with a rare 1964 picture of Diana Millay (Laura Collins) just added, plus actor updates for other members of the cast. Pay a visit at http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com
* New Novel Reprints Released
* Complete Series DVD Sells Out; New Pressing Coming
The Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series DVD box set has done brisk business, with all 2,500 numbered units sold out ahead of release. A second edition has been announced which will be be available from July. The new sets will be identical to the initial wave, except the units will be unnumbered and will not include the signed postcard of Jonathan Frid. To pre-order at a discount price, visit this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007PZ6SYK/darkshadowsjourn
Cheers
Stuart
------
Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online:
http://www.collinwood.net
Order the new book Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood a discount price and support the site:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0938817663/darkshadowsjourn
Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/darkshadowsnews

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Scott,
Excellent!! Fans there is a very good news letter on DS called Shadowgram. DS Fans check it out if you wish to.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just finished episode 50. Have watched the first 300 or so Barnabas episodes, and decided to start back at the beginning before moving ahead. Love the show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,
Thanks. I thought some might like to read the information and check out the links.
Carabimero,
My eldest daughter (she loves Dark Shadows almost as much as I do) and I began at the beginning a few years ago, and tonight we finished episodes nos. 643-644. We've just gotten to the Amy Jennings and David Collins meeting Quentin story line, and my daughter is calling this her favorite story line so far, and that's saying a lot given what we've seen of the show to this point. We love every minute of the series. I for one am thrilled that there are 1,225 episodes to savor. The story lines are so varied, and never fail to captivate us. :)

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Anybody else read the sad news Jonathan Frid passed away April 13th only a few days after this iconic boxset was officially released. Friday the 13th how poetic. He does have a cameo in the upcoming Dark Shadows film.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes I have and had constant problem trying to post on Kathryn's site. I always hate those words you must type in after. I always find them very hard to read.
Jonathan meant a great deal to me growing up and as I have said before I have two pictures signed and were sent to me after a fan letter i wrote back in 1968.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also want to suggest buy those two special dvds from MPI on Best of Barnabas and Fan Favorites. The Vampire Curse and The Haunting of Collinwood buy them.The dvds are are well worth the money spent. I also want to say buy the storyline call DS 1840 on VHS another great purchase and a vhs collectors edition tape 54 lists 3 excellent episodes with slates and comercials included

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Ockeghem said:
Cherisland,
Congratulations on your purchases. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)
I too appreciate David Henesy's acting. There are a couple of times -- it was during the Phoenix story line which you haven't gotten to yet -- where he sounds very much like Patty McCormack (chills!) from The Bad Seed. My daughter observed this when we were watching that particular story line many months ago.
Speaking of child actors in the series, we were watching nos. 639-640 last night, in which both David and Amy Jennings have a considerable amount of air time as they get to know one another and begin to explore the west wing of the Great House. I was curious why David Henesy and Denise Nickerson were allowed (legally) to have so much air time. Were the child labor laws not in effect (or perhaps non-existent) at this time, or was it because the two of them were old enough to be given more air time? I'm not complaining, as they have great chemistry together. I was just curious, given what we hear and read about air time and child actors today.
Huh? The show was live on tape, meaning they'd probably never spend more than an hour a day actually taping the thing. No matter what went wrong, they'd had to get the heck out of the studio before the 5:00 o'clock news started, because many of the DS cameramen worked on that show too. Rehearsal time could vary for individual cast members, and the kids would have several hours for school. I assure you no child labor laws were ever broken on that show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark Collins said:
I also want to suggest buy those two special dvds from MPI on Best of Barnabas and Fan Favorites. The Vampire Curse and The Haunting of Collinwood buy them.The dvds are are well worth the money spent. I also want to say buy the storyline call DS 1840 on VHS another great purchase and a vhs collectors edition tape 54 lists 3 excellent episodes with slates and comercials included
Mark,
Those are good suggestions. I love VHS tape 54 (and in fact that entire Collector's Series), as you know. I have The Vampire Curse and The Haunting Of Collinwood bookmarked and ready for purchase. :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just cannot find DS the First Year. I still say do not give up hope. I had this happen to me once before with Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I bought the book and we will drop the subject there.
I was looking through the first year book last night. I read a sentence from Ron Sproat that I could not believe and yet always knew. He stated one decision was made The most important decision made during the entire run of the series.
LAURA!!!! I could not believe it. The idea to make Laura the undead changed everything. Ratings and writing just took off. He even said writing for Laura was such fun they hated to see Laura's storyline go up in smoke.
I just have to end this with that one great line between Laura and Dr Guthrie. "Now Mrs Collins let's be honest with each other". "You Laura Murdock Collins are the Undead". Laura comes back with " "And if I am" bing goes the music. I play that over and over every time I see that episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,
Poor Dr. Guthrie! And let's not forget Laura's incredibly heartfelt remorse [;)] when she found out that he had been killed in the car accident. "How dreadful." LOL. I love that line, and her delivery of it was wonderful.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Scott and DS Fans
Scott told us this is one great book all DS Fans should have. BARNABAS AND COMPANY THE NEW 2012 EDITION IS UP FOR SALE AT AMAZON. I bought direct and paid 10 dollars more. Reason I do not want the old edition which they might send instead. I advise DS Fans who want it to buy now. Remember Return To Collinwood cannot be had any longer and many other books are very high priced.

retzev

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I am also interested in the DARK SHADOWS: THE FIRST YEAR book from Blue Whale Books.
I have a copy of a book published in 1987 by Dark Shadows Festival Publications titled HISTORY OF DARK SHADOWS 1966 -1967. My understanding is that FIRST YEAR is a reprint of HISTORY OF with a new cover.
For those of you who own both versions, is this exactly correct? Are there any additional materials in the Blue Whale version that aren't in the original edition?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Justin,
I own only Dark Shadows: The First Year (two copies); I don't own the History Of Dark Shadows: 1966-1967. Several months ago I wrote to Kathryn Leigh Scott at Pomegranate Press to ask if she had any copies of Dark Shadows: The First Year available, which she did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks