What's new

mp3 CD's...How? (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
I was just wondering how in the heck do you make one of these? I have most of my stuff on iTunes, and it says that I can't burn that type of song(s) on to the CD? Why? I also have some on Windows Media Player, and see no where for even an option to make one of these...what the heck....it's making me mad, how do I do this?

Thanks,
Abel

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, in iTunes: Edit > Preferences > Burning > MP3 CD

Is that what it's set as? Can you take a screenshot of the error you get?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Try to use jsut a normal CD burning utility, and burn the MP3 files onto the CD just as you would any normal files. The CD player you put it in has the right codecs to decode the files.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ah, seconding Mark's advice I'd recommend using a software burner utility like Nero. iTunes doesn't support CD text so if you load the mp3 CD into a car head unit the song name won't appear on the display. Nero and I'm sure the other popular ones do this.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe he is referring to the fact that iTunes will not let you convert protected AAC files into MP3's?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I believe, in iTunes, that if you burn a CD that contains music over 80 minutes (or whatever the max is), it automatically burns it as an MPEG CD since that's really the only option at that point.

AbelM

Second Unit
Yeah guys...iTunes, will give me the message saying, "None of these songs can be burned on to the CD." That's the message I get, when yes, Scott I have the preference listed as you have.

So I have no idea what's up...also, I don't even mind burning all my CD's back over to WM (I don't have that many songs...) if I can figure out how to do it there too?

This is weird...as I have no idea what to do, and am tired of switching through 5 CD's each time I drive. I just want one CD (or two) with about 200 songs on them... :angry:

HELP!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've never burned an MP3 CD, so this is just a guess, but does your playlist include AAC's that you downloaded from the iTunes store?

With the copyprotection (that they include), perhaps iTunes isn't allowing them to be converted into MP3's.

AbelM

Second Unit
Nah, MarkHastings....all my songs are mine (CD's) I have yet to burn or buy anything il/legally...so :frowning:

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Abel, rip the songs you want to mp3 or mpg into a folder. or rip the entire cd's. Only go one folder deep however and you can use Windows Media Player or whatever software you like to burn a "data disc".

example

Give the CD a electronic Label if you want. (i.e. CAR or Rock Mix or Johnny's favorites or Office)

Folder 1 labeled (Temple of the Dog)
Song #1
Song #2
etc.
Folder 2 labeled (Soul Coughing - El Oso)
Song #1
Song #2
etc.

Never put a folder in a folder. most players only read one folder deep.

This is also how I backup all my cd's and mp3s. then when a disc is scratched, I take the disc with the appropriate backup and make a new copy for the car, without having to worry about ruining annother disc.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
It shouldn't be that hard. Don't use Itunes or Windows Media. Just use a normal file burning utility, and burn all the MP3's you want onto a CD just as you woujld ANY OTHER file. As I said before, the CD player decodes it.

AbelM

Second Unit
Jean - I ripped a Data Disc once...and no player would play it! No car stero or home stero. Only computer.

MarkS - I'm sorry for my ignorance (as I am not a big "into" computer guy) but what are you talking about? What is a normal file burning utility?

MarkH - I was just stating that I haven't bought or burned any type of song from any software...all songs I have, are from my own CD collection :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I thought the slash was a misspelling in "il/legal". I got it now.

The thing that's throwing me is the error message:
"None of these songs can be burned on to the CD."

Even doing a search on Apple's support site brought up only 1 instance of that error message and it too said that the reason is due to iTunes purchases. It didn't list any other reason for the error message, so that's why it's confusing me as to why you'd get that message if you don't have iTunes purchases.

Are all of the songs MP3's? or are they all AAC's? Perhaps you can check to see if they are locked?

What program did you use to convert them? iTunes?

Here's a LONG shot, but I did find this::laugh:

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I do that all the time with most of my MP3 fitting in a couple of CDs. I just burn them as "Data Disc" and not anything else like Music or MP3 disc.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
its cause your burning files. whether they are mp3s, wma, aac, whatever. Its not a music cd. its a data cd. files.

not all players will play these, you need players that can read mp3's, cd-r's, cd-rw's, etc. most players will not play these unless duly noted. a lot of newer dvd players will play cd-r's and the like. as far as car audio goes, mide-grade to higher end Alpine systems (and other brands) will ussually play them, but it is clearly marked on the product. Your typical stock system, will most likely not play these. I know the new Hyundai Tucson comes with a stock player that is able to read data disc's containing multiple music file formats. and remember only go one folder deep, if you are going to catagorize the files on these data discs.
Personally I have an Alpine deck in my car, but its not mp3 capable. Ive been contemplating gettting one that is so I dont carry around 50 some odd cd's at any given time, Im just waiting for the prices to get a little more affordable on a model wiht all the features I want (i.e. XM ready, and Id love DVD-A capable), till then, Ill keep burning new cd's to replace the ones I scratch up.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Has this information helped you at all? was your equipment not compatable with the format?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks