What's new

Mowers....what you got? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finally decided to step up to a real machine for my 7 acres. Had been using a combination King Kutter on the Farmall(worked on 80% of the yard...).

JD X300 (was here when the house was bought, when the original owner only had 3 acres of "yard") which was not up to the task.

Went and bought a Walker MB with a 56" deck. 7 acres takes 3 hours. The combination of the Farmall and JD was never less than 5. The Farmall is cantankerous, not to mention...not agile...at all. But the King Kutter 60 was great. Almost...almost, bought a smaller tractor. Then I went to the local "fix-it" and they had a Grasshopper, Rich Convertible and a Walker all for demo.

Brought all three home.

Grasshopper. Great cut...lousy, to me, controls/balance.

Rich Convertible. Loved this machine. One trick pony though...but a real good trick.

Walker.

Best of both the others....and things the other two can't do. Yep...cost more than a decent used car...but man. 11 hours on it...mowed 4 times.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a Deere X320 with power bagger. Overall I really like it and have had no issues, although with our hills I occasionally wish I had a 500 series with a locking rear axle. Have approx. an acre of lawn.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I read some of that thread.

You'd die if you knew what this Walker cost.

I have bought a combined 8 used cars that cost less than this thing.

And Adam. I know what a bagged 320 cost as I had to replace the trans in the 300 last year. Went to JD to buy one...decided they were on crack(you could darn near buy another X300).

Found the Ebay listing for upgrading the X300 off the K46(hunk of shit transmission) to the 54(I think).

Enormous improvement. I think the 320 uses a bridge between the 46 and "54".

And Adam, if yours is a K46(trust me, check)...sell it while it works.

Edit:
The 320 uses the K58, same one I put in my X300. I hate TuffTorq. Non-user-serviceable. (although this Ebay bought one is a "prior dead one" that has fill and drain holes with external filtration)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dennis Nicholls said:
Do any of these have a "bailer" option?
Walker has, arguably*, the best grass bagger there is. They even offer a power lift so you can sit in the seat and it will dump itself into the bed of a truck.

And yes...I said "dump itself"...with a good meaning.

Not a fan of grass baggers. Mainly with my trees(low limbs and pine trees) would interfere. Although, that is lessened on Walkers. Still didn't get it. (MBK technically can't use a bag deck...but the hitch point is the same for all series and decks. Pretty sure it is mainly a "charging system" precaution)

*Walkers grass catcher use and disposal are like having a discussion about motor oil...Pennzoil this. Mobil that...then somebody ruins the debate with..."I use Castrol".

http://www.walkermowers.com/addons/P10-hidump.php

Here's mine...(click to MBK if not there)
http://www.walkermowers.com/tractors/b-series.php

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Scag 61" STHM 3 wheel.

I have a lot of trees and I like that I can send the big deck under them without me, unlike a regular zero turn where the deck would be underneath me.

It's older and I had to do head gaskets on the Kohler 22, but it's running great now. If it finally kicks I'll have to look for another used one since scag doesn't make it anymore.

I went from a craftsmen tractor with a 48" deck that took me three hours to cut my property to 50 minutes on the Scag, worth every penny.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've seen some of those Scag. Sadly, nobody was selling one. The one I wanted was the Ferris 3-wheel.Dealers in a 500 mile radius didn't have one. The Walker MBK was "cheap" in comparison.Another good one. Rode around on one but, come on...only a 48" deck? Exmark Navigator.Oh yeah. Right after I buy the MBK, a Toro commercial front deck shows up on Craigslist(in Bloomington, IN...which I go down often) for $3000...with a 72" deck. I went and looked anyway. Business owned(factory as their mower) and great running but looked ready for WW III.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I got a multi use tool, it supplies milk, cuts the grass ( okay eats it ) and contributes it's fair share to global warming, i call it a cow. :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Instead of a mower, is that a moo-wer?

true-scottish-redheaded-highlanders.jpg

Do they look like these? Some guy a few miles south of me has a herd of them, and at first I thought they were Yaks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...Tempted to try and sell the 56" deck and try to find one of their 62".Also planning on picking up a 48" as well. The area near the main road has a near 4 foot deep roll off. The 56" scalps it. The Craftsman 42" and x300 cut it fine. I figured there would be areas a large deck was iffy. Taking the deck off is child's play. Anybody familiar with 3-point PTO, same procedure. Except you don't even need to pick the deck up...roll it away.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
You guys aren't talking mowers, you're talking about small tractors.

My lot is 50x150 feet with a nice house in the middle. Still using the 21" Craftsman I bought 19 years ago from Sears. That's a lawnmower.No power wheels, no seat, I walk behind it and push it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks