What's new

Moving on to Tripods (attention Scott Merryfield) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have that one and find it quite usable and fluid, but with a Canon camcorder, not a DSLR.

The issue I usually have with any budget video head is the ability (or lack thereof) to balance the camcorder, so I don't have to constantly keep it from tipping back. That tension wears on the arms in short order. Ideally, you would just have things balanced so if you let go when it's at the horizontal position, it will just stay there. My workaround with the Canon M500 camcorder I use is to reverse the pan handle, so it's extending from the front, instead of the back. This provides enough counterbalance to the camera with the battery pack attached so it stays level without having to manually hold it there or tighten down the knobs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... except when I'm using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 w/ its own tripod collar, the DSLR will be front heavy depending on what lens is on it. Maybe my 17-55 f/2.8, if not the Sigma f/2.8 telezoom (w/ its own mount)... though I might pick up an 18-140VR if I decide to get the D7100 in the near future. I do also still have the old 18-70 from my D70 days, but probably won't be using that for video -- not sure lens IS/VR helps all that much though.

IF I go w/ D610, I might get the 24-85VR (FX). Not liking the D610's rather small AF area coverage though unless I shoot w/ DX crop -- more a concern wrt stills than video. What was/is Nikon thinking w/ that??? That plus some other niggles. Even the D800's AF coverage seems a bit limiting when shooting fullframe... making it a bit disappointing for the price -- that plus I really don't want to deal w/ 36MP(!) files... heck, not even sure I want to deal w/ 24MP, LOL... :P

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And now we see why it was so cheap:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4fvzlGdEQ&feature=youtu.beBig changes, and welcome improvements, no regrets for me tho!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... That video doesn't really show off the fluid video head though... mostly just the legs.

Sam Posten said:
Wait. Are you saying the cheaper heads (like the ~$100 Manfrotto 128RC) actually bounce up and down during pans? How much bounce are we talking?

I've been making do w/ my $150-200 Giottos 3300 ballhead for the occasional video shoot. Panning is possible, but a tad jerky just because I don't have an arm to do it consistently/reliably. Haven't noticed actual bounce w/ the pans as long as the camera's well-balanced and I turn the head itself, instead of touching the camera+lens -- this w/ the Sigma f/2.8 telezoom on its own tripod collar for instance.

I would get the more expensive video head if I'm getting paid something for the shoots, but not sure my needs justify it at the moment. Actually, the relatively new, non-profit, local youth (classical/jazz) music (para-school?) program that my kids joined are looking to offer me modest freelance gigs to shoot-and-edit for their performances (4 or so per year). They only need DVD-quality results, and the modest(?) compensation would be plenty to help w/ upgrades and the better video head, maybe extra tripod, etc. -- that plus I'd love to help them out anyway... and I'd be shooting because of my kids anyway if they didn't have someone else do it (for the DVDs I'd gladly buy, instead of doing the work myself).

In fact, shooting the kids' performances is a big consideration for me to suddenly consider buying a new DSLR -- futzing w/ the D5100 is getting old... plus would be nice to have 2 bodies to shoot videos (and then edit together), if I could...

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well crap! That tripod I was hoping to get for xmas, the wifey says get for my birthday. Back in December it was $150 and now it's $250. Here's the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-Pro-Aluminum-SBH-100/dp/B003WKOENO/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1386196252&sr=1-1&keywords=camera%20tripod&tag=viglink123527-20

I have a built-in aversion to pay a $100 more for the same product. I used camelcamel to verify it was $150 in December. Maybe I'll ask for a rain check and wait for a xmas deal.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tempting... so did you back it for one?

My wife (and family) will think I'm trying to catch up our tripods count to the violins in our household, LOL. They already caught up to number of (still) functioning (non-phone) cameras (plus a camcorder), haha... although I'm probably about to add another camera... so I guess I need to add another tripod too? :P

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, I have tripods I really like and I'm fully invested in RRS and platypod heads. But if I was just starting I definitely would. That 'groundpod effect' the Peak is capable of is baller.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I might consider it mainly for still use w/ the Z6 (assuming I get the Z6)... but have to wonder if it's really that good to justify though...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That certainly looks interesting. I have a Peak Designs strap that I like. I'm not sure I'm ready to pluck down $479 for another tripod, though, without reading some reviews from people using this in the field.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Same. I have 3 great Manfrottos of varying weight and I don't need another, tho the groundpod effect would have been cool if I didn't have a Platypod

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Finally just took the plunge on that Kickstarter for the Peak Design Travel Tripod... w/ couple hours to go, LOL.

Anyone interested has until 8pm ET to jump in... :D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My PD Travel Tripod is apparently expected to arrive tomorrow morning (shipped from Hong Kong) just in time for a short, year-end trip out to San Diego in a few days. Really wasn't expecting that, especially given their updates on production and delivery delays a few weeks ago combined w/ my order being one of the last... but their delivery process optimization ended up working perfectly for my order...

Will be my first time flying w/ a tripod...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks